Subscriptions & Donations ×

Falken Tyres - Coupe

PTR200S

• Moderators

With the demise of the Dunlop Sport Blu Response tyre due to a "sidewall" puncture I have ordered FALKEN Ziex ZE310 Ecorun 205/55R16 91V

I am using the Falken on the Elysion and they have proved to be good tyres up to now, so with that in mind and a good deal on the price, £60 each, fitted, I had no choice but to order a pair !

Falken are "Japanese " tyres but actually Goodyear Dunlop own them !!  In fact Dunlop, Goodyear, Fulda, Falken and Kelly are all under the same umbrella 😜

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I thought Sumimoto owned Falken?

https://www.falkentyre.com/en/company/sumitomo-rubber-industries

The Dunlop name is owned by separate companies depending on what part of the world it is, Goodyear in the US and Sumimoto in Japan and Europe i think.

I have the same tyres on the Legend, they are ok though they can be twitchy in the wet, though that could be that they are getting old on my car.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cryistic said:

I thought Sumimoto owned Falken?

https://www.falkentyre.com/en/company/sumitomo-rubber-industries

The Dunlop name is owned by separate companies depending on what part of the world it is, Goodyear in the US and Sumimoto in Japan and Europe i think.

I have the same tyres on the Legend, they are ok though they can be twitchy in the wet, though that could be that they are getting old on my car.

It does seem to have separate "branches" almost, do they manufacture tyres in the US ? I thought they just produced them in Japan??

Looks like they are all tangled companies together !!!

The tyres I am getting are supposed to have an "A" rating for wet.....which version have you got ???

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah, me too.  

I prefer matched front and matched rear really but not necessarily the same brand, in this case the fronts are getting quite worn but I would have happily run them another year.

Initially I thought of just getting one Blu Response to match but the price is getting on for a 100 quid, quite a jump since last time, the Falkens will be 120 for the pair. Also, that new Response would have been a new tyre and a nearly 2/3rds worn one on the front of the car.

I will hold onto the none punctured tyre as a potential spare for a rear though...

• Founding Member
17 hours ago, PTR200S said:

It does seem to have separate "branches" almost, do they manufacture tyres in the US ? I thought they just produced them in Japan??

Looks like they are all tangled companies together !!!

The tyres I am getting are supposed to have an "A" rating for wet.....which version have you got ???

Dunlop tyres don't exist as a single entity anymore, the name is owned by a few companies depending on which part of the world your buying tyres in, so Japan is Sumimoto and USA is Goodyear.

The Legend has some old looking Ziex Ecorun 914 on the back and Ecorun 310 on the front. It's the rear of the car that has been occasionally twitchy so I think the rears need replacing at some point.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Cryistic said:

The Legend has some old looking Ziex Ecorun 914 on the back and Ecorun 310 on the front. It's the rear of the car that has been occasionally twitchy so I think the rears need replacing at some point.

My new ones got fitted to the Coupe today, Ziex Ecorun 310, same as I have on the Elysion..

20230317-144321.jpg

20230317-144326.jpg

Very quiet, noise wise not cars !, on the road on the way home particularly on some very badly deteriorating road section where it would have been pretty noisy inside the Coupe, bizarrely,  on the Dunlops, 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

• Founding Member

The code on the Ziex 914's are 1115, so it will get a new set tyres on the rear for the next MOT, I'm not doing lots of miles in the Legend so I think I can wait.

I agree on the quietness of the Ziex 310s, the loudest thing in my Legend is the fan for the aircon!

• Like 2

• Moderators

I am officially "sad"  !!!!!

Had to measure the tread on these new boots....barely 7mm....is this the same problem as less baked beans in a can, smaller chocolate bars etc, etc ??

Do I correctly recall tyres once upon a time having nearly 10mm ...??? Certainly 8mm...

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

As far as i've always known Pete, 8mm is the norm. My Falkens were 8mm when they landed so it sounds as if you've been shorted a bit! :o

8mm to the tread indicators??? Or full depth ??

Maybe that's what I am thinking about for 10mm...when tyres were tyres and didn't need to be monitored for wear !!!!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Founding Member
On 3/17/2023 at 7:04 PM, Cryistic said:

The code on the Ziex 914's are 1115, so it will get a new set tyres on the rear for the next MOT, I'm not doing lots of miles in the Legend so I think I can wait.

I agree on the quietness of the Ziex 310s, the loudest thing in my Legend is the fan for the aircon!

A new pair of Zeix 310s fitted to the rear today, they are already quieter than the old 914s that I had fitted on the back.

• Like 3