Subscriptions & Donations ×

Changing the key fob battery, battery cover stuck?

PaulS

• Founding Member

For a couple of weeks, I have had to get ever closer to my Coupe before my remote would open the doors..  Typical of a dying keyfob battery....   I have a good supply of CR25 batteries so I thought it would be a simple job to change mine.  But could I get the fob's battery compartment to open?  NO. Usually I use a coin to open these, but no coin I had would twist the compartment lid / lock from closed to open.  Neither did any screwdriver do the job... 

Eventually, I used a hammer and punch to open it,  Yes, the old fob battery was low....  Much better range with the new fob battery....

I am in the market for a new fob battery compartment cover so wondered if I buy a new pattern Honda fob, will that fit my original fob?  I seem to remember some folk have upgraded their fobs and might have the experience to answer this...  Any other ideas?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Not seen any with those covers on the back unless you just buy a second hand version case, useful if you find the correct frequency but if not change your existing internals over,  plus new buttons....

Or just buy after market cheapo , dump internals except buttons and fit existing BUT usually they have no screw in battery panel , just click case together. Like this   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304064762239

Have a gander here.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Thanks Stu - please put one out for me.  I will try it there and then - otherwise it seems I'll have to try the one Pete found with a removable cover ..  I doubt if I could get an eBay delivery before next Saturday anyhow... and it is not so urgent. 

I just want to sort it for the future....  I am intending to keep the Coupe until something major goes wrong - like a collapsed jacking point....

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, PaulS said:

otherwise it seems I'll have to try the one Pete found with a removable cover

That two button case with the screw in back would be worth checking out if its just the screw in bit that is buggered....I think its just the front case that is different so maybe you could use the rear case and screw in cover at a push...if Stu can't help of course 😁

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Actually the back cover is not buggered - but as it does not close properly (and if I forced it shut, I might never open it again), I am worried that it might fall apart in my pocket and lose bits.  Even if that does not happen, I might well get some muck inside and stop the thing working....  In itself the fob & cover is a trivial thing, but being out & about with the immobiliser set, bits lost in the dark, and no way to reset it might well prove disasterous if it happens....

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

Actually the back cover is not buggered - but as it does not close properly

ah, ok, I misunderstood...saw "hammer and punch" and thought ...oops, too much thinking ! ..... so either a complete unit or the back with a fitting ( !!!) screw cap then !!

• Founding Member

Is it worth ringing the local Honda dealer and seeing if replacement cases are available, I brought a new Lexus key case for the 2005 RX300 I had, it was OEM and only cost 16 quid.

Toyota are head and shoulders in front of Honda in terms of maintaining spare parts for older cars though.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Cryistic said:

Toyota are head and shoulders in front of Honda in terms of maintaining spare parts for older cars though.

I wish my local Toyota got the memo from HQ as they're useless and I thought Brindley Honda Cannock was bad. 🤐

• The title was changed to Changing the key fob battery, battery cover stuck?
8 hours ago, PaulS said:

For a couple of weeks, I have had to get ever closer to my Coupe before my remote would open the doors..  Typical of a dying keyfob battery....   I have a good supply of CR25 batteries so I thought it would be a simple job to change mine.  But could I get the fob's battery compartment to open?  NO. Usually I use a coin to open these, but no coin I had would twist the compartment lid / lock from closed to open.  Neither did any screwdriver do the job... 

Eventually, I used a hammer and punch to open it,  Yes, the old fob battery was low....  Much better range with the new fob battery....

I am in the market for a new fob battery compartment cover so wondered if I buy a new pattern Honda fob, will that fit my original fob?  I seem to remember some folk have upgraded their fobs and might have the experience to answer this...  Any other ideas?

Know how you feel, they can be a right pain to replace. Tried replacing the battery on mine a while ago, ended up wearing out the slot grip. Ordered a good used one of eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263223688584?

Better to use thumb tips to twist turn the cap if you can, tools will only damage.

• Like 2