Subscriptions & Donations ×

Both heated seats stopped working - Why?

PaulS

• Founding Member

Its gone cold again and my heated seats have stopped working.   Neither switch lighs up on either high or low settings

Engine bay 20a Heated Seats fuse is OK.

Are there any other fuses?  If not, where should I start looking, preferably without dismantling half the car to trace wiring back....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Moderators

Not sure if there is a relay for these , I would expect so.....if I recall some 2000 series accords had something behind the glove box...or is there a fuse in the internal fuse box?  

Too dark for me to check now but will have a look tomorrow....  

I suspect Stu will know exactly where the problem is likely to be !!! Maybe along shortly 😁

Edit.

Just been checking the fuse info in the manual.. the internal passenger side fuse box is showing " power seat" at TWO positions , number 2 and number 4.  

That maybe for two power movement front seats but in mine I only have the drivers side powered, could it be a heated seat circuit activating the relay switch side?   The one in the engine compartment being the full power side ??

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

This does sound like a faulty relay or an earth has come loose/become corroded at some point in the circuit for the seats.

Make a set of long tails for a testing light and you should be able to test the wiring for continuity in situ once you know the colours and what else is in the circuit.

Have you tested the fuse or just visually inspected it, sometimes they look ok but are blown anyway, might be worth swapping it out.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 2/10/2022 at 5:49 PM, PaulS said:

Its gone cold again and my heated seats have stopped working.   Neither switch lighs up on either high or low settings

Engine bay 20a Heated Seats fuse is OK.

Are there any other fuses?  If not, where should I start looking, preferably without dismantling half the car to trace wiring back....

Any news ??

Managed to solve the problem?

• Founding Member

Not looked again as yetas it was cold and raining all day here. - but I had put in a new fuse.  The 2 nearside dash fuses are for the driver's seat powered front / back movement and the recliner respectively as far as I can tell.  Not spotted any relay - but maybe there is one.  A copy of the wiring diagram would help.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, PaulS said:

The 2 nearside dash fuses are for the driver's seat powered front / back movement and the recliner respectively as far as I can tell. 

Ah, OK, that would make sense, front and back plus recliner.......

Can you check if you have power at the engine compartment fusebox??

Engine compartment fuse at 20amp as you say that would suggest its the high power supply to a relay......I can't see a relay not being involved here...

With the switch gear light being out it points to the low power side of the relay ????

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Thanks Stu.  Once the weather improves sufficiently I will devote a day to trying to sort it all out.  Seems there is a relay & the first thing to check - just need to find it....  wonder what I will have to dismantle.... but maybe the very first thing to do is byepass the relay altogether with a fused jump wire (just to prove whether or not it is the relay.......

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hmm, bizarre, looks like the relay is energised under ignition conditions through the drivers or passenger fuse at 7.5amps but the switch gear including the telltale is on the 20amp side....

I can't get my head around that,  to late !!! Look in again tomorrow 

• Founding Member
9 hours ago, PTR200S said:

looks like the relay is energised under ignition conditions through the drivers or passenger fuse at 7.5amps but the switch gear including the telltale is on the 20amp side....

Maybe not so bizarre - one could easily flatten the battery if one left on the heated seats when the ignition is off ...

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, PaulS said:

Maybe not so bizarre - one could easily flatten the battery if one left on the heated seats when the ignition is off ...

I was thinking more along the line of usually the accessory switch is off the ignition,  when switched on that fires the relay which then allows full power from the battery, in this case the 20amp circuit.  It sort of looks like the switches are run off the 20amp circuit with the relay always hot when the ignition is on, as you say.

I must be missing something but the relay , right side , just has a 7.5amp fuse (fuse 3) for both driver and passenger supplying one side of the relay to earth. If that is right and the relay activated by the ignition then maybe that fuse has gone as both sides are off and are run through the one relay.

The left side shows the full power 20amp fuse into the switches then to the seat heaters..the seat heater must be low power, maybe 8 amps each ?

Also, my fusebox diagram shows fuse 3 as not used ....unless it's used for the seat heater which is not standard ?

When I get a chance will check my fuse box again to see what is in location 3.

Anyway , somewhere is a relay !!!!!

• Moderators
On 2/18/2022 at 4:47 PM, PTR200S said:

When I get a chance will check my fuse box again to see what is in location 3.

My fuse location three has a 7.5amp fuse in it....was going to pull it and see if it knocks out the heated seats but the weather decided to intervene with another tornado...

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Justhad a look at mine now theh storm has abated a bit.  No fuse in position 3 (nearside) so I have no idea what that does on your car - my fuse schematic shows it unused.  There is a good 7.5 amp fuse in ACC (4th from bottom) in the RH side too.

I found something on the internet (www.v6performance.net/threads/heated-seats-relay-replacement.83894/)  that says the heated seat relay is behind the glovebox next to the Throttle Actuator Module Control relay.  Says to remove glovebox, look at just about the level of the heater controls in the centre consoel, 2 relays, the frontmost one is the one to look at -wire colours red/black,brown,black, black yellow.  The power colours don't match Stu's diagram.  But it seems the activating colours  (black / yellow -> black do.....

Taking out glovebox is a job for a warmer day! If indeed that is what I need to do!

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • Founding Member

Well the temporary magic rebirth of my heated seats last weekend proved short lived....  they have stopped working again!  The mystery continues.

Must admit that I thought it a bit bizzare that the heated seats should both suddenly have started working again without anyone really doing anything other than swapping the relay (which seemed not to have achieved anything).

Just for the record, the drivers door actuator which had also stopped working last weekend and started working properly again the following day is still working just fine.  Well it would, thanks to Stu I have a good spare for that ready to install....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

That's bizarre re seats but suggests to me that there is , perhaps,  a connection not doing its job properly or a wire that is chaffed through internally somewhere. 

Now the seats have stopped working again can you do continuity tests on the supply wires ???

Door lock...who knows !!!!

Got a TVR with the same intermittent door lock problem ,,,,a solenoid possibly,  but on the basis you can get in through the roof  who needs a door lock  !!!

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Stu seemed to think it could be the multiplexor playing up, but needs to investigate a little more.  However at present I think Stu has his hands full enough trying to sort out Ruby....

As both seats started and stopped working in tandem, it would seem to be power supply issue.  Presumably both seat heaters are supplied from the same relay by the same power  wire.  But the signal to the relay telling it to switch on might not be delivered - and as far as I understand it - that is (in part) what the multiplexer delivers. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

The heatedseats started working again yesterday, but for no apparent reason...  I had fiddled aroud a bit a couple of days earlier, but they did not work after that, but yesterday they just worked again without me doing anything....  An ongoing mystery why they stop & start like this but, no doubt temporarily, I am happy again and will not poke & prod around again with them unless they stop working....

• Like 1

• Founding Member

it sounds like a couple of chafed wires somewhere in the loom, different humidity and slight moves of the loom may cause them to come in and out of contact, it's a difficult fault to find though.

Checking the earths is a good start, clean and re attach.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Founding Member

Amazingly, both heated seats are still working....  fingers crossed for the rest of the winter..... earths still looked looked good but redone and greased for good measure though

• Like 2