Subscriptions & Donations ×

Power Steering Pump

PTR200S

• Moderators

Looks like I am in for a steering pump overhaul....fluid leaking out of somewhere,  not much but refill from low line top line on reservoir every few weeks....hope its just a seal !!!

Might have to come off the road for a while, Coupe to the front and centre !!! 😂

• Like 1

• Moderators

The seals are available from Amayama but I don't know if the bearing has gone too so this means it will be off the road at least two weeks as I need to get the pump off and strip it before ordering anything....

Declared SORN now and taxed the Honda XBR500 instead, be alright carrying the ladders on the bike won't it? 

Folding ? 

Bike-ladders-2.jpg

or straight do you reckon???

Bike-ladders.jpg

• Haha 2

• Moderators

Whilst waiting for a delivery in the early morning sunshine I thought I might have a look at the pump......

First job is off with the cover, bit more clearance and vison, just two plastic half turn screws at the front and then lift off, two locating pegs on the back so lift up and off rather than off and forward !!

PS-pump-1.jpg

Drain the PS reservoir as much as possible using a syringe through the filler orifice.

Pull this plug off first, again its in the way for a look see. The leak can clearly be seen now around the intake pipe from the reservoir and up the side under the plug.

PS-pump-2.jpg

That's the intake pipe , big black pipe lower left.

PS-pump-3.jpg

PS-pump-4.jpg

Feeling under the pipe there is a substantial amount of fluid but interestingly the fluid up the side looks like blow back rather than coming from the pump gasket.

It might be just the intake pipe rubber seal that is causing the problem, definitely worth just checking this out rather than pulling the complete pump as yet.

The wet looking 10mm bolt head is the one that holds the pipe connector to the pump body.

PS-pump-5.jpg

Spanner through here... from the left side and under the belt, forget any thoughts of using a socket ! Once its cracked open it will probably undo by hand / two fingers ! Don't pull it out , just pull the complete pipe connection out, mind the residual fluid in the pipe, the bolt will stay in so you don't drop it until the pipe is clear of the connection.

PS-pump-6.jpg

Its out ! Just see the small "O" ring on the stub...

PS-pump-7.jpg

This is it, feels hard so a good candidate for replacement and see if it solves the problem.

PS-pump-8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Decided to order all of the seals for the pump, regardless, just in case it has to come apart completely.

The main shaft seal, internal pump seal is £12.99 for a UK supplier....22 quid from Germany !!

Order direct from Japan through Amayama....£12.95.......for EVERYTHING ( five seals including the shaft seal) and including shipping.....!!!!!! 

The Shipping cost in that £12.95 is £5.95 !!

Just hope that its doesn't get picked off for checking through the customs  rip off merchants

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

Good work. The later coupes have a different engine cover then?

This is the Elysion engine, J30A4,  certainly is a later development of the original J30A1 Coupe engine though with many familiar bits !!!

Changes were pistons, intake valve size increase to 35mm plus the intake system is different as is the exhaust manifold / pipe.. I understand they also changed the throttle body and modified the vtec system,  certainly the eco running on three cylinders, VCM, was new hence the logo on that cover you mentioned.

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 6/1/2021 at 9:31 AM, PTR200S said:

The leak can clearly be seen now around the intake pipe from the reservoir and up the side under the plug.

There was a service bulletin for the "O" ring seal on the coupe and the later USA odyssey, hope the new "O" ring solves it Pete 🤞

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Good luck with the "O" ring Pete! Sounds like a common problem if a TSB exists for said "O" ring, fingers crossed that's all it is! ;):D

Just hope it is the one "O" ring that is causing it but I bought the rest of the seals anyway as they are relatively cheap direct from Japan because if this doesn't fix it the pump will have come off completely. 

No point in having to wait yet again for parts.

If I don't use them someone on here might just need them 😁

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Might also be worth investing in a box of "O" rings, i have a selection box in the shed, always useful!

I have stopped buying generic rings... Honda made a lot of specific "O" rings and seals, far superior to the generic stuff.

Had so many problems with rings that aren't quite right, example recently springs to mind.

The Honda XBR 500 fuel tap i talked about on the bike thread, couldn't get the real thing in that case, bought a so called repair kit from NRP....the specific seals are OK,  just, but the outer ring seal on the tap head is supplied as a generic round profile seal......it's shit !!!!! 

Wrong profile and so the tap does not turn easily from off to on and vice versa...still, I suppose its stopped  leaking 🙄

The seal for the steering pump intake pipe could well be ok with a generic seal but on the other hand i don't want to have to do it again...

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Good point about some of the specific "O rings but even using a generic one to keep you on the road for a few days might be better than being VOR while you wait for the genuine?

🤣 quite so !!!

But I am getting to drive the Coupe a lot so not really a downside 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

With a bit of time available,  the new pipe seal has gone in, fluid topped up and the motor fired up.

Horrendous squeaking ensued 😢

Bled the pump etc using the lock to lock method, still squeaking.?.. can't decide if its the belt which sat with fluid dripping down  on it for the last couple weeks or the pump itself.

Cleaned off all the waste fluid using brake cleaner, just wondering if its that that is causing the belt to squeak....does sound like ye olde squeak from the fan belt type squeal / squeak.  Maybe the wd40 trick and see if it stops...

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Never mind the squeak, what about the leak? :o

It appears to be stopped, its dry at the moment anyway but it needs to be run for a while to be sure. If it has stopped it that will be ace but if that squeak is not the belt.  🤔

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators

OK, squeak gone, lack of use, fluid on the belt etc, take your pick.

However, its still leaking a small amount...main leak stopped,,,,.appears to be coming from a pipe connection onto the plastic elbow that has the replaced seal in it.

Maybe it's a disturbed connection but I didn't remove it , the pipe, and it was still tightly held with the correct hose clip, to the pipe on the elbow.

So had to drain the reservoir again and remove the elbow and pipe.

Investigation of the plastic elbow reveals no cracks but the feed pipe is a bit hard but not excessively so.....gonna have to clean it all up and remake the connection....and try again.

• Like 2

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Investigation of the plastic elbow reveals no cracks but the feed pipe is a bit hard but not excessively so.....gonna have to clean it all up and remake the connection....and try again.

After replacing all the seals my oddy pump it did start to leak a little 😭 despite cleaning all the surfaces and joins very carefully, so I used some Loctite 3020 Spray Tack, it fills all the hidden surface imperfections and prevents minor leaks. 👍

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Still got a dribble.... 😕 even after a bit of 3020,,,,,really annoying now, so much so I have just ordered a new pipe and clip plus the lower pump elbow....

Had enough of it now so Amayama just got the order, total £31 shipped...........  to include new pipe, elbow and clips...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Quick update, parts arrived from Japan this morning, no duty to pay 😜

PS-pump-9a-new.jpg

ordered 25th July arrived 5th August, can't argue with that, another 5 star effort from Amayama. 

Drained everything AGAIN !!!

Fitted and filled..... the new (grey pipe in pic) pipe is really "soft" compared to the seventeen year old one !! Fitted new clips and the new pipe elbow and seal....

PS-pump-9b-new.jpg

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Hopefully that "softer" hose will be more compliant and more secure against leaks! ;):D

That's what I am hoping for !!

I will clean up the old elbow and pipe and check for any cracks in the formers plastic and the latters rubber...just interested to find out what the problem is but I suspect it will be down to the old rubber pipe not sealing properly, being hard plus having been disturbed .

• Like 1