Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe 2.0 CAT Back Exhaust System

Sike

Hi guys.

I'm looking for a cat back exhaust system (centre section and back box) for my 1998 2.0L coupe. I read on another thread that the exhaust parts from the UK model 2.0L four door accords fit our american coupes, is that true? They seem much more available than the coupe parts so it would very helpful if they do. Can anyone recommend a good brand or company? I just want to get it through its MoT as I'm planning to upgrade to the a V6 model in the not too distant future.

Thanks

Simon 

• Like 3

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Sike said:

'm looking for a cat back exhaust system (centre section and back box) for my 1998 2.0L coupe. I read on another thread that the exhaust parts from the UK model 2.0L four door accords fit our american coupes, is that true?

Hi, Simon long time no post, nevertheless good to see you're back and I guess you are referencing this topic: https://honda6.ipbhost.com/topic/2421-1998-02-accord-20-23-coupe-exhaust-system-cat-back/ which confirms UK version will fit, although the rear backbox will sit a little higher up. However, the majority of UK aftermarket sections don't fit the UK model all that well, so expect some adjustments to the metal part of the hangers.

Regards brands I would have gone for a Bosal system, these are hard to come by these days, but you might get lucky on some new old stock maybe? Nevertheless if your thinking of moving on to a V6 I would just get the cheapest as they all last about 2-3 years...

Hope that helps fella...

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Accord Coupe 2.0 CAT Back Exhaust System

Thanks Stu. Just wanted conformation from someone before I bought an exhaust that might not fit haha, but I'm reassured now. I've order the parts from Online Automotive. All in it was £158 for the back box, centre section, the two gaskets, two rubber mounts (they were perishing) and shipping. They don't advertise the brand but I'll post a review when they've arrived and I've fitted them.

Yeah sorry, I'm not the most active member but I guess that's a testament to how reliable the old coupe has been. In 6 years of ownership and taking her from 70,000 miles to 150,000 miles I've not had to do anything more than servicing, brakes and tyres. Not many German car owners can say that hahaha. But like I said hoping to upgrade to a lower mileage V6 this year or the next that I could cherish and pamper. Mostly I fancy the extra torque, the 2.0L auto is a bit sluggish. Mine has lacquer peel on ever panel and a bit of rust in the rear arches. Unfortunately I can't really justify a full respray on a car I paid £500 for :(.

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Sike said:

I've order the parts from Online Automotive. All in it was £158 for the back box, centre section, the two gaskets, two rubber mounts (they were perishing) and shipping.

No probs fella, part numbers on the site reference EuroFlo although I haven't been able to get their stuff for the 1998-2002 Accord in years, although they didn't last that well. Their approved CATS were excellent and lasted well, I guess they're just using it as a guide and you'll get supplied with an alternative? Either way, keep us posted on your progress and any before and after pictures would be great. 👍

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So I fitted the exhaust. It was a EuroFlo in the end. The three nuts holding my original exhaust to the Cat were almost corroded away but luckily just about still hexagonal, I had the get them red hot with an oxy/acetylene torch for fear of rounding them off. The new centre section fitted perfectly although the crush ring they supplied was slightly too small for the recess in the cat flange. Used a hammer and a large mental cone we have for flaring pipes to "stretch" the diameter of the ring. No blows around the flange so it's done the trick.

The back box however came with two captive bolts that were so short the threads were flush with the back of the centre section flange when the two sections were offered up (Not great considering both parts were Euroflo and for the same vehicle). So I had to remove the welds on the bolts with a file belt sander and use longer bolts instead. As expected from reading the other thread, the two hangers on the back box were roughly in the right place but required heating up with oxy/acetylene and bending into shape.

Everything fits well now with no gas leaks and I managed to get it all done in my lunch break so I'm happy. Also I didn't have to bend the actual exhaust pipe at all which is a bonus. The back box sits square and level with the back bumper. Seems like it's decent enough for a pattern part but time will tell. Oh and the car passed it's MoT so doubly happy. I have a few pictures but not sure how to insert them from a URL.

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Well done. Gold star deserved.

Yes, a bit of a faff, but that's life when using non-standard bits.  Just a shame that the makers could not work out the bolt problem for themselves and saveevery buyer the rectification.  Most potential buyers would likely be less able than you !

• Like 4