Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-02 Accord 2.0-2.3 Coupe Exhaust System (CAT BACK)

hughezee

• Administrators

For those thinking of replacing there exhaust on their 2.0 Coupe the illustration(s) below show the sections that make up the system ;)

post-1-0-08441300-1427499673_thumb.gif

post-1-0-76619900-1427500367_thumb.gif

Also the 98-02 UK Accord versions of exhausts will normally fit without a problem, with the exception of the PRE CAT down pipe and you will need one compatible with the 2.3 Type V as pictured below or check out this topic  http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/3197-accord-coupe-20es-exhuast-downpipe-dealer-part/;)

post-1-0-66765600-1427500171_thumb.gif

• Like 1

• Administrators

I was just researching for you m8y, anyway a place like that would get exactly what you wanted although expect to pay a little more for a restrictive back box to retain better back pressure to stop the car stalling all the time as the F20B5 engine runs lean anyway. ;)

hey Stu

is that bad or good when you mean restrictive?  I still gotta have the front from the headers as the bright spark welded from the cat to the middle,so I can't even get that yet. Any joy with the other guy concerning the header and cat? I thought the back box's should be restrictive as that would stop the system to breathe,that right? with there back box give a little more back pressure i.e. More HP?

Edwin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Good Question CAT BACK is a term used in the trade and refers to the exhaust sections fitted from the catalytic converter e.g centre section + resonator and rear silencer or back box which leads to the rear of the car in the US its named a muffler.

Alternatively its what most garages will refer to as a full exhaust replacement :rolleyes: but in my book this not how I see it and I if I quoted a full exhaust to be replaced the down pipe and catalyst would be included, as its part of the exhaust system  ;)

• Like 1

So, at work today, the Mrs rang.  Crikey, I thought, something's up - she never rings me in the daytime!

The car (the coupe) is making a funny rattling noise.  I think the exhaust's fallen off.

Come right off?  Rattling?

Well, no.  it's still attached, but broken in the mddle and rattling.

Rattling?  ...Or scraping?

Scraping, I suppose.  What should I do?

Whereabouts is it broken?

In the middle.

Whereabouts in the middle?

Don't know.  Can I drive home (about 3 miles)?

Are both broken ends scraping on the road?

Don't think so. 

Well which one is?

Um...... the front one.

Is it pointing downwards to the rear or to the front?

To the rear.

OK, should be safe to drive slowly a few hundred metres to a car park.....

Got home from work at 8PM, had something quick to eat, loaded the (other) car with kids and tools and set off to see what was what. 

• Administrators

Thanks.  Never heard of a resonator. 

Sometimes its referred to as the centre silencer ;) and it looks like your facing a replacement CAT BACK system :huh: one system I purchased recently totalled £80 including bolts & gaskets which ain't to bad really. :unsure:

• Like 1

So, now what?

Well, I imaginie that this is not repairable, so need to consider replacement.  As a minimum, this means the centre section with resonator (ha ha, i'm really liking this word), but I'm concerned that in removing this, the joints will be damaged on the other adjoining sections.  

Reading back through this thread, am I correct in thinking that the two sections to the rear of the cat are the same on other 2.0 Accords of the same year.  This should make them readily available. 

Has anybody seen good prices on exhaust sections recently?  Or, got any good 2nd hand ones to sell?

• Administrators

The UK version is very slightly different but it will fit without any problem I've done it a few times now and unfortunately I don't have any used usable parts :mellow: as I mentioned above the last one I fitted worked out about £80 all in ;)  

• Like 1

Sometimes its referred to as the centre silencer ;) and it looks like your facing a replacement CAT BACK system :huh: one system I purchased recently totalled £80 including bolts & gaskets which ain't to bad really. :unsure:

Is that £80 for both of the silencers?  For both, that would seem a good price.  :)

And was that a parts-only price, or fitting included?

I know that in theory, there are only 2 or 3 bolts on each joint, so labour shouldn't be too difficult.  But, as I don't have a ramp in my garden, access is awkward and I wouldn't want to damage the flanges on the cat getting that rusted joint apart.  So, I think I'll take it in somewhere. 

Anyway, I managed to do a tmporary fix to get the car home.  The loose pipe is tied on to the floor of the car.  The kids looked impressed at the sound of the car when I started it!  Made me feel18 again!  :lol:

Haven't experienced a broken exhaust for well over 10 years - they seem to last much longer these days.  I remember when a rear silencer would only last a couple of years! :huh:

• Like 2

• Administrators

Also one thing to note the CAT flange on the coupes don't have through bolts but in fact threads so don't cut them off you will have to get the crusty nuts off if you decide to have a go yourself and yes the £80 included the centre pipe and back-box gaskets an bolts. ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators

Also one thing to note the CAT flange on the coupes don't have through bolts but in fact threads so don't cut them off you will have to get the crusty nuts off if you decide to have a go yourself and yes the £80 included the centre pipe and back-box gaskets an bolts. ;)

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

The UK version is very slightly different but it will fit without any problem I've done it a few times now and unfortunately I don't have any used usable parts :mellow: as I mentioned above the last one I fitted worked out about £80 all in ;)  

If I get a centre silencer from a UK Accord, do you think that would fit with the old coupe back box? Or, would the UK centre box only fit with the UK back box?

• 4 weeks later...

Any update buddy, the rear back boxes are slightly different and as said before I would just replace both ;)

Sorry for very tardy response.  I was really busy just when the exhaust broke, then I was on holiday with the other car for a couple of weeks.... so it sat there awaiting my return.

Anyway, I've now had it fixed.  My mechanic friend said that the rusted joints could not be dismantled without severe risk of damaging the cat.  So, he's welded the fracture back together.  All is well again for now.  :)