Subscriptions & Donations ×

Headlight replacement D2S HID lamps

PTR200S

• Moderators

Anyone tried the Osram D2S Night breaker laser versions of HID ??? Xenarc any better than Laser? More money !!!

Although the Elysion headlights are good I have a sneaking suspicion they are not as good as they were.  I know lamps degrade over time but not sure on the HID stuff, I had them in the Tourer and they were fantastic lights and I never replaced them but Elly is 16 years old now...

They could have been replaced in the past, of course, but short of getting them out which will require yet another chiropractor visit 😒 I just wondered if anyone has any thought???

• Like 1

• Moderators

Managed to get osram xenarc intense blue lamps using a 20% discount voucher i discovered on a supplier website... 67 quid for two  delivered, never paid that much for two bulbs before,,,,,,scary !!

Just hope I can fit them , looks like a bit of dismantling,  st123 can see why it cost 80 pounds for the installation of just one!!

Honda original bulbs are 155 dollars each ! 😜

Got to find the electrical problem on the battery drain first, though.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Are you sure it is a bulb problem and not the power unit failing?  I had a failing power module on my Merc E class that caused a dim light....  New power unit, old bulb and it worked properly again...

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

Are you sure it is a bulb problem and not the power unit failing?  I had a failing power module on my Merc E class that caused a dim light....  New power unit, old bulb and it worked properly again...

Not sure as it happens but they are the original lamps from what I can glean info wise.

The hid bulbs do degrade at , or around,  ten years so they say. I guess I have to start somewhere and the power unit, wherever it might be, will be a lot more expensive than a couple of bulbs I guess 😭

Its not that they are dim as such but they are just marginally better than halogen at the moment  !!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 12/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, PTR200S said:

The hid bulbs do degrade at , or around,  ten years so they say. I guess I have to start somewhere and the power unit, wherever it might be, will be a lot more expensive than a couple of bulbs I guess 😭

Probably cheaper to buy new ballasts and HID bulbs as a complete kit Pete - ideally the ballasts should be replaced anyway from time to time as they don't last forver and can cause the bulbs to be slow to warm up.

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

The Osram Xenarc Blue bulbs arrived yesterday so today was fitment day... nice sunshine to this morning ! Yippee !

It took about an hour and a half, taking my time and doing BOTH sides.

The first thing to note on the Elysion is that everywhere in the engine bay is TIGHT !!  This is where the nearside HID dipped beam hides out. That box with the markings on the side ! 

headlight-change-1.jpg

The cap at the end of here comes off, twist anticlockwise just a few degrees, its has a rubber seal and can be tight.

headlight-change-2.jpg

Once I realised, having removed the cap, that you need to be able to see what you are doing to remove the bulb, not just touchy feely, then I would have referred to the workshop manual for advice... except there isn't one !! Quick look at the Oddy manual gives an idea about what to remove once you have access to the bulb holder.

This is the top view of that nearside location... its all got to come out 🙃

headlight-change-3.jpg

So off with the front slam panel which is just secured with about eight push clips, pull it out of the grill, which has some tight fitting push fixings and remove it completely.

These side panel wings need to come off too, one push clip at the rear, centre top of this pic, and then lift the cap off the two push fit fixings on the wing, easy.

headlight-change-3.jpg

With a bit of luck and patience it should look like this and once the two fixing screws in the wheel arch are removed AND the two 10mm bolts at the lower edge of the bumper ahead of the tyre then the bumper will pull off the standard clips arrangement.

headlight-change-4.jpg

The bumper will pull forward around 6 inches and it is also resting on a centre protrusion off the subframe so once over that it will drop down slightly...don't worry it will stay there now !

It need to come down as you need access to the two lower bolts holding the headlight unit in.

Remove the top bolt and the push clip..

headlight-change-5.jpg

headlight-change-6.jpg

Here is the lower bolt locations, one on the side of the wing, above that bolt you can see in the pic, hole above and one under the headlight unit pointing forward to the vehicle...the latter is quite well hidden so you might need to get on your knees to locate it first !  Both 10mm shanked bolts, easily undone.

headlight-change-7.jpg

With a bit off careful manoeuvring the light unit will come out now with just enough cable to get that hatch to the bulb into a good position.....rest the light on top of the bumper.

headlight-change-8.jpg

Now undo this cap, anticlockwise a few degrees and remove it, make sure the seal is still in position on the cap.

headlight-change-9a.jpg

This is what you will see.

headlight-change-9b.jpg

See that connector at the top , above the screw, pull that off gently. Now you can twist the cap anticlockwise , again just a small twist.

headlight-change-9c.jpg

One  the cap is out of the way then there is the usual arrangement of the sprung clip holding the bulb in, press both side off.  The bulb can be removed now.

New bulb in, don't touch the bulb envelope (!!) , it has two locating pegs at 12 o'clock and about ten past, can't go wrong, put those spring clips back in place.

Reconnect the terminal you removed earlier and put the cap back on the case...job done...

Just got to put it all back together now, or as in my case dismantle the other side and put the new bulb in there too.

Once you have put the headlight back into the wing and bolted it up I suggest you test it and see if its working before putting the bumper/ slam panel etc back !!

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Ta, for that ! 

I nearly did give up when I was trying to get the slam panel off the grill face ! 

Once again , like the Jazz I did the other day, its the time taken to dismantle everything at the front.

Once upon a time it was just a case of leaning into the bonnet pulling off the wiring and hauling the old bulb out 😄🙄

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Quick static test tonight, out on the road tomorrow we will see how good they are but looking pretty bright now 😁

They are much brighter than the original version by some way, I know they are uprated from the normal lumen offering but even so its almost daylight in front of the van, some dark country test roads beckon !!

headlight-change-9d.jpg

• Clap Hands 1

• Founding Member

Looks like your problem was just the bulbs after all. 

Well done for persevering..... in spite of having to work out how to get at stuff which should indeed be much more simple to do in my view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, PaulS said:

in spite of having to work out how to get at stuff which should indeed be much more simple to do in my view.

At least the Hondas are fairly reasonable to get at, apparently some Renault and Audi are half day jobs to do same thing!!

I guess the accountants have been at the gin again...

• Like 1

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

That's a battery and bulb now in 3yrs, its non stop I tells ya.

Not good enough, has the warranty run out then? 😁

When you see the amount of money the pcp guys pour down the drain you are running way out in front with less than 100 quid in three years !!!

I used "upgrade bulbs" for the Jazz nightbreakers and "power bulbs" for the HID bulbs for Elly. 

Turned out they are one and the same company with different prices for the same things, bit like Eurocrap and Partsforless.

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Andy Mc said:

My passenger side night breaker just went on the way home.

The Police round my neck of the woods reckon Nightbreakers only last them 2 months at the most. If you've had 3 years out of one you're doing well.

I'll stick with my H4 LEDs, one set has been in 7-8 years, the other 4 years and still as bright as day one! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

The Police round my neck of the woods reckon Nightbreakers only last them 2 months at the most. If you've had 3 years out of one you're doing well.

I'll stick with my H4 LEDs, one set has been in 7-8 years, the other 4 years and still as bright as day one! ;):D

Think the nightbreaker early demise a few years back was due to "copies" not the real thing.

I have NEVER had a nightbreaker fail, longest running in a car was my xk8 , 5 years and sold with them in. Got 8 years and counting in my single cylinder 500 cc motorcycle and single pots suffer horrendous vibration !!!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

I have NEVER had a nightbreaker fail, longest running in a car was my xk8 , 5 years and sold with them in.

[url=https://postimg.cc/Lh4Khjr7][img]https://i.postimg.cc/mZCbXwVb/IMG_20160507_221238.jpg[/img][/url]

The car on the right in this side-by-side test was running Nightbreakers a few months old. One of them didn't survive the journey home (about 30 miles) after this photo was taken.

I've often wondered though if the Police change them not because they've failed but simply because the light output is reduced. That extra light from them means extra heat so they tend to blacken the glass envelope quicker than less bright bulbs. Also bear in mind the Police mostly have their lights on 24/7 so they get used arguably 168 hours a week compared to say 10-12 hours a week by most people driving an hour each way to work 5 days a week and a bit of evening running round at the weekends.