Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion Fuel Consumption?

PTR200S

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Had a decent run in mine the other week for the first time in ages, 260 mile round trip to Silverstone and back. Most of it on cruise at 70 and mine averaged 22.3 MPG, that's pretty horrific even for a 3.5. No idea why it's that bad? Maybe just needs a good service? Going through the history a bit deeper and all the uk services have been done by dealers so i'm assuming that means oil and possibly oil filter only. 

That does seem a bit below par, just a few thoughts off the top......

I think I would start by having a look in airfilter housing and see if all OK in there...when did it last have spark plugs ??? Mine were the original plugs in a 13 year old car as far as I could ascertain. 

The next bit is a definite look at each of the brake calipers and make sure they operating properly,  sliders etc...just a small drag from a none retracting pad can make a difference but you don't notice it because you have loads of power to play with !!! 

Might be worth checking the gearbox oil again too, might be up for another change ....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

That does seem a bit below par, just a few thoughts off the top......

I think I would start by having a look in airfilter housing and see if all OK in there...when did it last have spark plugs ??? Mine were the original plugs in a 13 year old car as far as I could ascertain. 

The next bit is a definite look at each of the brake calipers and make sure they operating properly,  sliders etc...just a small drag from a none retracting pad can make a difference but you don't notice it because you have loads of power to play with !!! 

Might be worth checking the gearbox oil again too, might be up for another change ....

The brakes are fine, just had the fronts pads and discs done but all the other items are a fair shout. I was planning on a gearbox service and major engine service at next scheduled one.

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm pretty sure the stat is good, gets up to temp quite quick and sits in the right spot all day

You would be surprised, I replaced both my Accord V6 & Odyssey thermostats as its a serviceable item and the MPG shot up.😉

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

The brakes are fine,

To borrow Stus answer about the 'stat, you'd be surprised. If someone has over-tightened the handbrake adjustment, it could be the rear brakes are dragging once you're moving - spin freely enough on the MoT ramp to not give a fail but as you drive, they warm up and don't spin quite so freely - this can cause a big dent in fuel economy! It can also cause the auto-adjusters to not work properly leading to siezed calipers and poor rear brake performance (handbrake and service brake) as well as the aforementioned dragging.

Also worth renewing the 'stat to be on the safe side, especially if its age is unknown. I change mine every 4 years when i give the cooling system a full reverse flush during the 2-yearly coolant change.

All in all, it's one of those things that are a bit subjective - while you may think things are as they should be, it might well be that they're not and until you get them right, you won't realise they were wrong for a very long time!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

To borrow Stus answer about the 'stat, you'd be surprised. If someone has over-tightened the handbrake adjustment, it could be the rear brakes are dragging once you're moving - spin freely enough on the MoT ramp to not give a fail but as you drive, they warm up and don't spin quite so freely - this can cause a big dent in fuel economy! It can also cause the auto-adjusters to not work properly leading to siezed calipers and poor rear brake performance (handbrake and service brake) as well as the aforementioned dragging.

Also worth renewing the 'stat to be on the safe side, especially if its age is unknown. I change mine every 4 years when i give the cooling system a full reverse flush during the 2-yearly coolant change.

All in all, it's one of those things that are a bit subjective - while you may think things are as they should be, it might well be that they're not and until you get them right, you won't realise they were wrong for a very long time!

I was not aware the stat was a service item, I'll get that done on the service too then

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
41 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Can I ask what tyre pressures you guys with 20's are running?

Can't help with 20 inch but I run 2.5 bar, 36psi ish,  on 18 inch.

I found this to be a good level for everyday running either loaded or unloaded. All four tyres wore out, front first obviously, within a few weeks of each pair, with no undue wear across the treads..

One thing I find helps is to use cruise control when possible. Also driving in my work boots as opposed to lighter shoes, say trainers, ups the fuel consumption  !!!!!!! Heavy right foot !!!!!

The other thing is to get someone to run into your van, I haven't used any fuel since the beginning of November 🙃🙃🙃🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Can't help with 20 inch but I run 2.5 bar, 36psi ish,  on 18 inch.

I found this to be a good level for everyday running either loaded or unloaded. All four tyres wore out, front first obviously, within a few weeks of each pair, with no undue wear across the treads..

One thing I find helps is to use cruise control when possible. Also driving in my work boots as opposed to lighter shoes, say trainers, ups the fuel consumption  !!!!!!! Heavy right foot !!!!!

The other thing is to get someone to run into your van, I haven't used any fuel since the beginning of November 🙃🙃🙃🙃

Mine are about the same pressure as yours and on long journeys I live on cruise control coz I'm lazy 😅 

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1