Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion Wheels and Tyres

PTR200S

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Swap the left and right for now Pete, at least you'll get a bit more wear from the pair. Maybe taking roundabouts at 50kmh instead of 50mph would also extend their lives too! :P

Just need to check they are not directional, can't recall if they are just marked "outside only " though in which case that will help get more out of them as you say. Should have taken st123 advice and bought some cheaper fronts so rear replacement wouldn't hurt as much 🙃

The new fronts are lovely and quiet plus they stick like sheeeet to a shovel !!!!!

Probably not helping your speed reduction suggestion on roundabouts at all !

• Like 1

• Moderators

just checked, marked " outside " so no directional rotation marking.

Wonder if they will object to running backwards!!! and wear even more !

Nothing ventured nothing gained so job on when / if stops raining 🙄

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Update on the Maxx RT2 tyres fitted end of October  / November......

Great grippy tyre in the dry but overwhelmed in the wet conditions.   

Damp conditions are fine but wet ones produce wheelspin under medium throttle bearing in mind that 250bhp through the front wheels on a 1.8 tonne van can be hard on tyre traction 😜 from a standstill.

Its possible to maintain tyre slip once they let go on just that medium hard acceleration to produce 50 yard long black stripes ! Unless it's raining a lot !!

The sidewalls are quite soft with rounded shoulders so gives a slight tendency to roll in the dry but they do grip like s#!t to a shovel in that mode, really pulling the van around the turn.

Although these are XL version tyres I think these are more suited to cars than vans.

So just a couple of months under duress from the van and they struggle in these crappy weather conditions  but I think I would buy these again on a saloon type but maybe not for Elly .

Having said that, another six months of driving on them would be a fairer test so maybe an update towards the end of the summer, after all they are "summer " tyres !!!!

• Clap Hands 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Nearly three months on from the shock horror find on the rear tyres, the swap around has eased the pressure but now they have just about cried enough. 😥

Now in the market for some new boots, the new fronts, Maxxis , have improved considerably with more miles on their rubber and now are pretty good except in diabolical rain. Still concerned about their rounded shoulders which seem to roll a bit in hard cornering. 😂😂

I have been looking at Vredestein quatrac pro and Falken all seasons,  biggest problem is finding tyres that have 45 profile with an 18 inch radius. Both tyres types are about 100 quid apiece. A few other types popped up but plus £125 up 🙃

• Like 1

• Moderators

The problem for mine is the size, 18" wheels and that 45 profile seem to restrict the tyre choice somewhat.. and they are 95 load rating ( XL)

Also the Falkens are now showing as a mid range tyre....showing up at the top end of some of the tyre tests.

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

How does that translate into actual driving experience Pete?

feels quite smooth but only done about 8 miles on them, interestingly on a rough road that normally sound quite loud in the cabin it is definitely not as loud as previously....this could just be the fact it is new rubber though....wouldn't buy anything beyond 70 decibels now having experienced 67 decibels tyres !!!.BUT, big but, I have some better test roads to go on next week so we will see.

As far as wet grip goes...need at least 100 miles under the wheels to break them in however the Dunlop that are now on the back took 300 miles or so before they got better..another A wet grip tyre.

Both brands are summer tyres so not expecting great things from them in cold conditions but warm wet , say 10c plus I will be expecting serious grip 🙃🙂🙂😁😄😃😀

I want all those 250 horses pulling hard !!!

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Your experience so far is what i've found with Falkens, they do get more grippy with use as well. Cold weather is ok, better than many i've had and summer is very good although mine are Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun instead. Still an all seasons tyre (or do they call that a summer tyre this week?) but i'd happily buy the same brand again.

When th cheapy set mentioned above that i put on my Volvo start to wear out, Falkens will be my first choice. ;):D

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun instead. Still an all seasons tyre (or do they call that a summer tyre this week?) but i'd happily buy the same brand again.

Yep, a summer tyre this week !!! And also a hybrid suitable tyre 🙄

Could have got that version in the correct size but B wet and 71db plus they wanted 120 a corner 😜

The ze310 version is a winter tyre according to supplier..

Just too many tyre choices!!!!  Just need a round , black, all year version like we used to get !!!

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Back in the 90s/00s, there ued to be a brand by the name of Corsa - Pirelli owned and making tyres using the latest rubber tech from those times to the patterns of 70s/80s tyres, perfect for cars built at that time. About half the cost of a new Pirelli but same quality with more modern rubber, what wasn't to like?

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Back in the 90s/00s, there ued to be a brand by the name of Corsa - Pirelli owned and making tyres using the latest rubber tech from those times to the patterns of 70s/80s tyres, perfect for cars built at that time. About half the cost of a new Pirelli but same quality with more modern rubber, what wasn't to like?

Like this one ?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/p7-corsa-classic.html

Still made today along with a host of other old style tyres made with new rubber 😁

Longstone Classic tyres do loads of versions all in new manufactured stuff.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just to report that the Falkens are doing well, nice and smooth, grippy too although a smart move off a roundabout entry road to inject into the traffic resulted in the left front spinning up... no squealing, just a loss of traction. Just once since fitting though so when they are "run in" they should be pretty good.

The back end feels a lot tighter now it has some tread on the tyres again ! The Dunlops are doing the biz on the back, all in all van handling well although I do have to remember it is NOT a sports car !!!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
On 2/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, PTR200S said:

Just to report that the Falkens are doing well,

Another brand to look at cheers Pete, I will be treating my Dad to some new rubber for his beloved Shuttle, anniversary/ birthday in the next couple of months 👍

• Clap Hands 2