Subscriptions & Donations ×

New owner V6 coupe

Mike Thomas

Acquired yesterday. Year 2000.    Has LPG conversion so can run on either. Are the V6 valve guides strong enough to take this? Second, Have to replace the alloy wheels. Drove home on the concrete panel section of M25 and the low profile 215/45 17s make this an uncomfortable experience.  Or if forced to, some new alloys that are stronger than tissue paper. I intend to go for 16" to get more bouncy rubber between me and the M25. Does the wheel offset matter? It seems to be specified at 55mm. What do you think about 15"? Seems the first Gen 6s had 14"!!

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the V6 club !!and more !

Don't forget we need pics of your new steed and your first impressions too, bearing in mind the cars are not in their youthful stage anymore!!

Interesting it has an lpg conversion, how much room does the tank take up? Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it compared with petrol useage.

Valves? Well if it is a proper certified conversion then there should be no problems, presumably it will have been tested thoroughly.???

As far as wheels go, 17 inch are not standard...

16 inch are standard with 205/55 tyres on.....do you know if the suspension has been modified? That could be part of the problem if it has, maybe , just had spring changes but not shocks???? And of course rubber band 45 profile doesn't, generally, help !!

Others will be along shortly with their thoughts too, some of the other members run modded suspension and other wheels so will be able to help further.

Don't forget those pics !!!

• Like 2

Thank you. Pics to follow when it stops raining, if ever, and the wind isn't blowing the doors off. Some bits of history with the car, but really I want to get it checked over to see what's what. The thought of a modified suspension hadn't occurred to me, it';s a good thought, but I need to find out because if it has, I need to tell insurance. Any thoughts on how I can tell if it has been modified? I guess in theory local Honda dealer ought to know. Shall embark upon search for 6,50J x 16 (I think) wheels and 205/55s. Because our roads are now so bad with potholes everywhere am seriously considering steel. Anyone dared to put steel wheels on one of these, or is that just rude?

• Like 2

• Moderators

The standard suspension set up, standard wheels, 16" , and 55 tyres will give you about a  65mm gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch......give or take probably !!

You may be able to spot labels, sticker , markings on the suspension to see if they are after market...

Research for wheels,? why not ask on here if anyone still has their standard wheels hanging around they want to sell on???

• Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Mike Thomas said:

Are the V6 valve guides strong enough to take this?

It's the valve seats you need to worry about and yes, they certainly should be.

17 hours ago, Mike Thomas said:

Second, Have to replace the alloy wheels.

Like Pete said, the originals are 16" and the difference between the ride on 16s and 17s is quite a lot - one is relatively comfortable, the other necessitates a visit to the chiropractor! :o

Post a few pics and most of us will be able to see if it's been lowered as they sit quite high as standard.

Before i forget, welcome aboard the forum! ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Mike Thomas said:

Thank you. Pics to follow when it stops raining, if ever, and the wind isn't blowing the doors off.

Anyone dared to put steel wheels on one of these, or is that just rude?

Sunny oop north, if a tad windy !!!

And yes, bloo&£ , oops, sorry, yes its rude !!!! Seriously, the standard alloys should cope with the potholes......just stop running through them !!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Administrators

Welcome to the club, sounds like a nice motor 👍 like already mentioned hope it had valve projection fitted 😑 also some did come with 17-inch wheels 2000-2001 standard 16-inch wheels available 1998-2002 the difference is not that noticeable if the springs are in good shape?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, PTR200S said:

The standard suspension set up, standard wheels, 16" , and 55 tyres will give you about a  65mm gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch......give or take probably !!

You may be able to spot labels, sticker , markings on the suspension to see if they are after market...

Research for wheels,? why not ask on here if anyone still has their standard wheels hanging around they want to sell on???

Thank you. Mine appears to have standard suspension. Gap is 67mm +/- with its 17" 215/45 tyres, radius 313mm from hub centre, which computes to exactly the same size radius as 16"  205/55 tyres  ie 313mm.  from hub centre

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mike Thomas said:

Thank you. Mine appears to have standard suspension. Gap is 67mm +/- with its 17" 215/45 tyres, radius 313mm from hub centre, which computes to exactly the same size radius as 16"  205/55 tyres  ie 313mm.  from hub centre

If its a bit rough with standard suspension then it must be the 45 tyres, or even the age of the tyres????? Gone hard?????  What is the production  date on the tyres

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Were they optional equipement Stu or "standard wheels" on run out models?

Bit of both Dave, 17inch was an option then 2000 onwards some came with them regardless, seen plenty of original sale receipts with it saying standard split-spoke 17"

3 hours ago, PTR200S said:

I didn't know there was an option of 17 inch wheels

Still would like the gold pack, but got the whole car in gold and de-badge anyway 😁

• Like 3

On 2/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, Mike Thomas said:

Acquired yesterday. Year 2000.    Has LPG conversion so can run on either. Are the V6 valve guides strong enough to take this? Second, Have to replace the alloy wheels. Drove home on the concrete panel section of M25 and the low profile 215/45 17s make this an uncomfortable experience.  Or if forced to, some new alloys that are stronger than tissue paper. I intend to go for 16" to get more bouncy rubber between me and the M25. Does the wheel offset matter? It seems to be specified at 55mm. What do you think about 15"? Seems the first Gen 6s had 14"!!

Hi guys, help please. I have the link, https://honda6.ipbhost.com/forum/247-gallery/  but having got there, don't see how to upload my pic. It's on a stick not a URL.  By the way, have looked at the tyres again with my glasses on, and see they're 215/40 (!) so 72mm of comfy cushion instead of 103mm you get with 205/55, allowing for 10mm of tread and casing. Also because they're shorter, the sidewalls on 215/40 are stiffer and less bendy (like trying to bend a halfinch stick 4 inches long, compared to bending a halfinch stick 2 feet long). Not therefore surprised about general kerthumping hardness. Standard wheels for this car are the same as the Civic 2006 -2016, which increases the chances of finding some hopefully.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Go to postimages.org, get yourself a free account and upload from your stick to postimages.

Select the phto you want to show, click the share button then click the blue button at the end of the "Direct Link".

Where you want to show the pic in your post, right click then "Paste" then hit the return key twice, first "sets" the image there, second gives an empty line to act as a space under the pics.

Sorry that's short and not terrifically sweet, very tired and about to hit the hay! ;):D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Founding Member

Welcome to the Wikipedia of all things Coupe and indeed Honda.  I’ve had a couple of these coupes and they’re cracking motors, just remember, regular preventative maintenance is the key, regular oil changes, ATF change, etc.  Don’t cheap out and only use whatever is recommend on here and you’ll be fine.

Mazda RX7 rims bolt straight on, look cool and fill the arch a bit better.

Best thing to do is have a good look around all the topics.

Welcome again. 

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1