Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion Fitting a Towbar DIY

PTR200S

• Moderators

Yep, the jet wash took the green moss off AND the paint !!

I can feel a good hammeriting coming on !

Thinking about a red , white and blue scheme........ Celebrating the 1st November..... 😄   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

It THE day after the 31st of October !

Hmmmm, yeah, New Years Day. Also All Hallows Day in the "Christian Calendar" so they could still give the masses a feast day as the "new" New Years Day was moved to January 1st so it was after Christmas (which was conveniently "moved" from August when JC was really born) and replaced Yuletide, the old Pagan festival that celebrated the Winter Solstice among other things.

It's also the day when we should finally be out of the EU at long *%$!ng last! :P

• Like 1

• Moderators

Couple, three, or more, ! ,  of pointers on the install of the electrics to the van for the trailer.

The interior panels will take some dismantling to get behind them, I opted for the easy route and just took all the inspection panels out and in this case you will need to use some stiff wire to encourage the cable through, behind the interior panels!!

Take your time unwrapping the ends of the wires around the bulb holders, the tape is very sticky.

The wires to the lights. indicators etc are THIN with no chance of using any sort of connectors let alone, arrgggh,  scotch locks 🤬...

The best solution is to solder them together and either shrink wrap, not enough room really, or tape the soldered joints firmly.

There is very little room to work but the nearside is bad so snip the top tie wrap holding the Honda cables to allow the cables connectors out of the panel.

The best place of the indicator buzzer unit is behind the jack access panel rather than trying to hang it near the light connections because ,as said, there is very little room. I also made most of the soldered connections there too, splitting the two sides off at that point.  I would have preferred to use the electrical block situated in the offside to do all the connections together but those wires are THIN !!!!! and tightly packed so opted to hook them up near the bulb connectors.

I stripped the thin wires just by using the heat of the soldering iron (gas powered for outside use) and then using my nail to peel the outer cover back then a bit of solder onto the bare wire ready to connect. It can be seen in the pics. Don't to forget to mount a good earth connection, I fixed a loop to the white earth wire and fasted it to the outer light mount.

It took two hours of wiring , soldering and replacing / testing , no rush but very fiddly, the thin wiring not helping plus the cable colouring is not standard Jap colours...complete new colour scheme as far as can see so requiring testing of all circuits to determine what job they did.

Testing revealed no errors on the dash and all trailer functions operating a they should, so not a canbus vehicle !!!!

20191004-122537.jpg

20191004-122148.jpg

20191004-143316.jpg

20191004-122145.jpg

20191004-144532.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Honda Elysion Fitting a Towbar DIY
  • 2 years later...

Hi

I've contacted Watling to see if they can confirm this will fit Elysion Prestige. I got a response that they weren't aware of this particular model and to check fitting based on the instructions they have.

Do we know if the undercarriage is the same for Prestige? I assume perhaps removing the spare wheel and checking the placement of holes would be the best course of action.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Bijomaru said:

Hi

I've contacted Watling to see if they can confirm this will fit Elysion Prestige. I got a response that they weren't aware of this particular model and to check fitting based on the instructions they have.

Do we know if the undercarriage is the same for Prestige? I assume perhaps removing the spare wheel and checking the placement of holes would be the best course of action.

The Prestige is a trim level not a different model, I don't think the chassis will have changed on that basis although the front end may have as it got the 3.5 V6....not to sure if the 3 litre had a Prestige version. 

The 2.4 got trim levels of M,G and X with the 3 litre getting VG, VX and VZ plus various styling such as Aero,  VG premium and Navi variations..The Prestige was the top trim level but in all cases there appears to be no major chassis changes that I can see..Emperors New Clothes!!!!!

The Chinese model from about 2012 may well be different though....

If you want to hang upside down under your rear end 🤣🤣🤣 and take a picture of it then I am happy to do the same for comparison purposes only, you understand  !!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PTR200S said:

The Prestige is a trim level not a different model, I don't think the chassis will have changed on that basis although the front end may have as it got the 3.5 V6....not to sure if the 3 litre had a Prestige version. 

The 2.4 got trim levels of M,G and X with the 3 litre getting VG, VX and VZ plus various styling such as Aero,  VG premium and Navi variations..The Prestige was the top trim level but in all cases there appears to be no major chassis changes that I can see..Emperors New Clothes!!!!!

The Chinese model from about 2012 may well be different though....

If you want to hang upside down under your rear end 🤣🤣🤣 and take a picture of it then I am happy to do the same for comparison purposes only, you understand  !!!!

I see, so while the body work is you could say vastly different, it's not a different model but just trim with ... different panels. What a curiosity that is :D

I will take off the wheel and post a pic at some point, maybe even today. Of course just to compare and I can take some measurements. But it sounds doable!

Thank you!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Bijomaru said:

it's not a different model but just trim with ... different panels. What a curiosity that is :D

Only the same as a lot of cars, not only models but manufacturers too when they use the same version of a chassis, maybe hang different suspension on them and a few different panels !! Might get slightly different subframe for instance. 

Changes in terms of panels usually get called "facelift" models, same chassis different bits hung off them 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Elysion only has one version but about three face-lift and or extra sill panels, lower spoiler, slightly different bumper, different grill, different wheels etc, different tailgate to accommodate different lights...that sort of thing...

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

I have only just discovered, whilst recommending them to a friend, that Watling Towbars have closed down ....at the end of September 2022 😭

although i am not in need of a towbar,  obviously  ! , does anyone know of another company that caters for Japanese Import vehicles ??

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...