Subscriptions & Donations ×

Steering Not Returning

AhsyV6

• Founding Member

Hello all, wanted to get some advice on the topic heading. 

I’m finding that my steering is slightly slow at returning to the straight position and on occasion I need to feed the wheel back. 

Any suggestions what the issue could be? 

• Sad 4

• Moderators

Couple of thoughts, have you changed the fluid recently ? Two points, if so , maybe an airlock or if not would be a good move to change it.

Other possibilities, tyre pressure, new tyres ? 

Obviously just thoughts but assuming all ok there then I would look at the ball joints for possible stiffness, corrosion possible, then the rest of the suspension joints...

Is it happening both ways , left and right? If so then i would probably rule out suspension joints....

Anyway, way past my bedtime, had a busy day !!!  Boss man will be along shortly with a better interpretation of the problem...!!!!!

• Like 3

• Administrators

Sorry to hear of the troubles Ahsy, Pete made some good suggestions and what you're experiencing could be combination of a few things e.g low fluid pressure internal leak on the pump or steering rack gearbox (assuming you've inspected the PAS fluid level to eliminate an external leak) and worn suspension or unevenly worn tyres...
Should it be an internal leak I have great success with the additive linked restoring normal operation within a few months...

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/gearbox-oil/wynns-power-steering-stop-leak-125ml

FYI overfilling the system a little ith the additive hasn't caused me any problems, also worth looking for bubbles or heavily aerated fluid while the engine is running which would indicate air getting into the system.

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I know that my ride isn’t right and will Spend some money on it soon to get it back to its old self.

It also skips when going over humps and on uneven bends. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 10/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, AhsyV6 said:

It also skips when going over humps and on uneven bends.

As well as the good advice already given by Pete and Stu, it would be worth checking wheel alignment and your front shocks Ahsy. Also check for broken springs and the brake reaction bar bushes (the tie bars between the lower control arm/wishbone to the front cross member) as they can alter the castor angle reducing the self-centring in the suspension design.

Worth a look as well, the bottom ball joints in the knuckles, i know on the Rover 800/Legend they can wear badly causing this kind of problem, wobbly steering and in extreme cases, the pin in them can snap letting the wheel move backwards in the arch.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Thank you Dave.

Along with all the other advice I’ve been given I have also read up on the symptoms of ball joints failure. 

I’m confident I have at least couple of areas in the steering/suspension that need replacing. My ride over uneven tarmac is rough and also noisy like a loosely muffled knocking. 

Just feel like changing all the arms, bushes and ball joints to eliminate the issues and also freshen up my 20 year Coupe.   

I’ve checked my power steering fluid and there’s no bubbling and it’s still at the max line. I replaced about half of it 2-3 yrs ago which I mentioned in a post on here. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I'm pretty confident your recent MOT would have picked that up buddy?

Should have done Stu but if the rubber boot has split since and lost its grease and worn quickly it won't have done. Also how recent was the MoT?

• Like 1

• Founding Member

I had this on my Accord well the skipping going over pot holes.

My problem was negative camber on the rear causing this.

I was also getting inside wear on the rear tyres.

Honda checked all parts and all was fine.

So I fitted after market adjustable ball joints on the rear and solved the issue.

So it might be a case of checking your alignment.

• Like 3

• Founding Member
On 10/11/2019 at 4:09 PM, hughezee said:

I'm pretty confident your recent MOT would have picked that up buddy?

You’re right they did check this in detail and they said all was good. However I read up on ball joints afterwards.....just clutching at straws. 

I will get the alignment looked at. 

• Like 3

• Founding Member
On 10/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Should have done Stu but if the rubber boot has split since and lost its grease and worn quickly it won't have done. Also how recent was the MoT?

MOT was 2 weeks ago answer passed with no issues 

• Like 2