Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord Coupe Oil Consumption

Chrismas

• Site Subscriber’s

So the J30A engine..... What's considered normal oil consumption? Should it use any? Topped it up when I bought it. Only driven about 600miles, but had to top it up today with about  400ml. I've used 5w30 too, as I have 20 litres of the stuff and use it in my Vectra. 

• Sad 4

• Administrators

I have seen a couple of the accord coupe v6's consume oil, depends if the PCV system is functioning correctly or how much you like VTEC 😁 but the vast majority including my coupe don't use any oil at all between oil changes. Also, past owners that have neglected the car and wear has occurred could be another possibility, personally I would switch to a 10W40 semi-synthetic like Castrol GTX to see if the consumption subsides...

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

Thanks Stu, while we are on the subject of the VTEC, what does it sound like and  how do the revs react? My son in law has an S2000 which revs like crazy, pops and bangs all the way up to 8000rpm.

• Confused 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Chrismas said:

Thanks Stu, while we are on the subject of the VTEC, what does it sound like and  how do the revs react? My son in law has an S2000 which revs like crazy, pops and bangs all the way up to 8000rpm.

Only 8000 rpm ? He is not trying hard enough !!! Get it up at 9000 !!!!!

As a side note if it pops and bangs whilst getting there it needs looking at as it should be a frenetic but smooth pop free experience !!

My S2000 had a real kick around 5500 ish but the V6 is less harsh in its vtec operation , much smoother transition to vtec. What you do notice is the deeper induction growl as it gets into its stride and passes the vtec point. The revs climb a little quicker at that point and the horizon suddenly comes into focus !!!

Definitely a softer operation though than the S2k and if you ever have a chance to drive the original vtec CRX you will get the " yo, vtec" feel in spades !!!

• Like 3

• Moderators

If it's using oil, first switch to 10W40 and clean the PCV system as Stu suggested but when you do the oil/filter change, put a litre of Carlube ATF-U or similar in then top up with the 10W40 to the correct level. Might take a while but the ATF should slow the oil consumption and also help revive any leaky seals. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 7/13/2019 at 8:51 AM, PTR200S said:

As a side note if it pops and bangs whilst getting there it needs looking at as it should be a frenetic but smooth pop free experience !!

Sounds like its been tuned, wizzy pop fart 😫

• Like 2

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Could also be spark plugs breaking down under load or maybe coil packs or HT leads, depending which it has. Possibly also dirty oil............... :o

• Site Subscriber’s
54 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Could also be spark plugs breaking down under load or maybe coil packs or HT leads, depending which it has. Possibly also dirty oil............... :o

I'm pretty sure it's been tuned, came with little history, bought cheap, skinny airbox, but no real performance issues, just pops a bit when pulling away. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

Not much to tune on the S2k. Not much gained anywhere ....Airbox, debatable usefulness, exhaust with either the UK mod or decat / stainless,..... 

full blown turbo / supercharger , ecu ..........yeha! , Is the way to go !!!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Honda Accord Coupe Oil Consumption