Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda V6 J30A Engine Tuning

hughezee

• Administrators

Maybe you would like your J30A1 engine to go a bit faster than it does right now. 😎

You will need the following performance parts: cold air intake system, a J37A throttle body, J30A4 pistons, a J32A2 head, a J32A2 intake and exhaust system. To make such a J30/J32 hybrid work properly, you have to configure the ECU, install headers and a 2.5″performance exhaust system.

All these mods will increase the power to 270-280 HP, this is the optimum price-to-quality ratio. You can look for some performance cams, install high compression pistons, or do other upgrades, but it is not worth the money.

0205ht-04zoom-zoom+honda-accord-v6-coupe

You may avoid spending your money for what is described above and just purchase a supercharger kit that will give you about the same horsepower. If that’s not enough, then build a J30A/J32A hybrid and install a supercharger kit. This will definitely be enough. It makes no sense to go even higher, you will need forged internals, a turbo kit, and a lot of other components i.e transmission cooler or even a 6-speed swap.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Retro Rich said:

Would you increase Flex’s HP? 

Unless I had a race track nearby then no point, but I even then I probably would buy the only manual swapped 3.2 in the UK which is currently for sale and give that a good thrashing as part of the weekly routine.😜

• Haha 2

• Moderators

Looks pretty simple but although it punts the BHP up about 30 horses (15% )  the torque level remains the same at 264nm or 194ft lb ......

I would like a punch in the gut type torque at mid range rather than up top power..... wonder if the figures have been mis quoted.

Might get my lad, in the States, to investigate some more...

• Like 3

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

I would like a punch in the gut type torque at mid range rather than up top power..... wonder if the figures have been mis quoted. 

I have fitted one of these superchargers way before starting the club and I wasn't impressed, think the owner went down the AEM engine management route to actually get some real power benefit.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Honda V6 J30A Engine Tuning
  • Administrators
31 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Was it as it appears to be in the spec then, not much improvement mid range?

When it was put on the dyno it made an extra 12-15bhp piss poor for the money spent my current coupe was better stock his was 1998 mine 2001 with different stock tuning setups anyway. so he went with a new ECU and was reasonably pleased, that's what I heard anyway?

• Sad 2

On 12/24/2018 at 3:04 AM, hughezee said:

Maybe you would like your J30A1 engine to go a bit faster than it does right now. 😎

You will need the following performance parts: cold air intake system, a J37A throttle body, J30A4 pistons, a J32A2 head, a J32A2 intake and exhaust system. To make such a J30/J32 hybrid work properly, you have to configure the ECU, install headers and a 2.5″performance exhaust system.
All these mods will increase the power to 270-280 HP, this is the optimum price-to-quality ratio. You can look for some performance cams, install high compression pistons, or do other upgrades, but it is not worth the money.

0205ht-04zoom-zoom+honda-accord-v6-coupe

You may avoid spending your money for what is described above and just purchase a supercharger kit that will give you about the same horsepower. If that’s not enough, then build a J30A/J32A hybrid and install a supercharger kit. This will definitely be enough. It makes no sense to go even higher, you will need forged internals, a turbo kit, and a lot of other components i.e transmission cooler or even a 6-speed swap.

Approximately, how much is this little lot in parts??? Might actually be viable for me later on in 2019....

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I like that supercharger kit! Now where's that "drool" emoji?

I would too, if it actually gave some umph!    Ooh,err...

Have got an enquiry running in states now, but they are into their "Happy Holidays " at moment !!!

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 12/26/2018 at 10:04 PM, DeanoCoupe said:

Approximately, how much is this little lot in parts??? Might actually be viable for me later on in 2019....

Sorry for the delay haven't found any realistic prices yet and there are some additional costs to consider, the battery will need moving to the boot, the transmission will need a cooler, new radiator due to age etc etc

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not to be ignored though is the fact that the supercharger itself is parasitic so probably eats about another 30-40bhp of the increased engine output, with a similar amount of torque being swallowed in addition.

Out of interest, what is the basic power figure for the USA-spec V6 model?

3 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Not to be ignored though is the fact that the supercharger itself is parasitic so probably eats about another 30-40bhp of the increased engine output, with a similar amount of torque being swallowed in addition.

Out of interest, what is the basic power figure for the USA-spec V6 model?

I know a supercharger is parasitic, but 30-40 bhp loss on a 200bhp engine pushing 280bhp does seem a little excessive but im no expert. Saying that the blower on the Mercedes SLR needs 150bhp to run it.....

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Have you got a link?

Link is sixth post down from top of first page. Can't transfer it on this device ,Dave , sorry !

It only gives another 30bhp on top of the 200bhp standard motor but worse still is the fact there is no torque increase to be had, hence the comments. 😶 

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, DeanoCoupe said:

Yeah it doesn't seem to give a huge amount of power does it... But supercharger whine is so cool 😎

Joyful tunes !! 

I had a Honda VFR 750 and a 400 version that were cam drive rather than belt or chain. The 400 had an addictive whine just like a supercharger and as a consequence drank fuel like the 750.,....... I was always running it up through the rev range 😄 

Mate of mine has a V8 supercharged Jag ( well, a Daimler, actually, don't you know ! ) and that is a beautiful sound on cam going for it !!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Mate of mine has a V8 supercharged Jag

If you remember the conversations we had on here some time back about my mates brothers one and fueling it with LPG, they had to treat it as a 600bhp engine because of the parasitic losses of the charger so net output was considerably less than 600bhp - can't remember the figures now but illustrates the losses quite nicely.

Even taking that into account, a 30bhp gain isn't a lot especially for the cost involved.

• Like 1