Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Elysion V6 J30A4 Timing Belt + Water Pump Important Advice

PTR200S

• Moderators

The 3 litre V6 engine installed in the 2004 Elysion is a development of the Coupe J30A engine and is designated the J30A4....Below is some info that hopefully will help other owners when they come to do the job which Honda advise to due at 60k miles and / or 5-7 years.

It has increased diameter intake valves, modified Vtec system, 10:1 compression ratio, new intake manifold, electronic (?) throttle body,exhaust manifold and system were also new / modified.

The cam belt dropped in size to 20mm width from 26mm.....? but the engine bhp was pushed up by 25% over the Coupe to nearly 250bhp along with nearly 300nm torque.

If you are doing the belt and pump change then these are the Honda part nos you WILL (!!!) need ...

Timing (Cam)Belt,     Honda part no. 14400-RCA-A01

or Gates 5660XS / Bosch 1 987 949 688 (thanks Stu)

Tensioner wheel,  14510-RCA-A01

Idler,       14550-RCA-A01

Tensioner hydraulic ,   14520-RCA-A01

Waterpump,  19200-RCA-A01

or Blueprint ADH29150

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Nurses and warty curds! :(

Does this look anywhere near right?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1330603&cc=1430835

That's for a 2005 Odyssey 3.5, not sure on the compatibility but trying to think outside the box, seeing as the Elysion isn't listed on Rock Auto.

They also do a high performance belt (in blue, matches your car!) which is allegedly stronger, more resilient to heat, oil etc. but i've found recently on some totally different parts, sometimes the USA part numbers are different to the UK/Europe part numbers for the same item, especially in pattern/aftermarket parts.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Could well be , Dave but it mentions two hydraulic tensioners (one in pic though but maybe a "representative" pic !?)

Trouble is the sellers of this sort of stuff are completely stumped when asked the awkward questions !!....like.... how wide is the belt then? !!

In the Gates kit no mention is made of the size.... I have been told that some of the legends for instance had some sort of double belt arrangement (two tensioners?) or wider again?? !!!...

Having said that this is from the States so probably the correct kit set up but still need to ask the questions....

I can't afford to get stung again so Honda is the name of the game ....

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Sorry to say it but the Gates Timing Component Kits are poor and the Chinese made water pumps don't last 20k, eeeeek

I'd heard similar about Gates somewhere else, where they are an OE supplier to the manufacturer. That means the poor sod who thinks he's buying quality because it's in the OE branded box has just bought a pile of Chinese Hoo Flung Dung. ?

• Like 2

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'd heard similar about Gates somewhere else, where they are an OE supplier to the manufacturer. That means the poor sod who thinks he's buying quality because it's in the OE branded box has just bought a pile of Chinese Hoo Flung Dung. ?

Also, the performance belt which is also coated in something makes a rubber band noise, it does get less noisy overtime but still wouldn't use the so-called uprated belts again had to swap one out of a coupe the noise was unsettling, to say the least, blueprint one fitted and all went smooth and silent...

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Honda Elysion V6 J30A4 Timing Belt + Water Pump Important Advice
  • 3 years later...

Hello all, hope all is well. New elysion owner. Going to get the Elysion checked over by my local mechanic soon.

When I bought the vehicle last week it came with a service and they did do an oil change and he mentioned they replaced the battery. Mot was done too.

I wanted to check the coolant fluid and other things. Brake/ATF fliuds may have been done about 1 yr ago according to the full Jap service history that came with car manuals. 

Question: timing belt and water pump-cant figure out if these have been done...theres just ticks next to the “power steering belt/water cooling belt” on the diagrams on the jap service book. No mention of cambelt at all. One website did mention the 2.4 engine is a chain belt that doesnt really need replacement....is this true? Thanks in advance.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, SKhan said:

One website did mention the 2.4 engine is a chain belt that doesnt really need replacement....is this true? Thanks in advance.

The 2.4 (K24) engine has a timing chain, just regular servicing should keep it happy. 👍

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, hughezee said:

The 2.4 (K24) engine has a timing chain, just regular servicing should keep it happy. 👍

Dead right on this Stu,  as you always are !!

Mate had a 2.4 Accord a couple of years before I got my first 2.4...he really didn't bother with timely oil changes, or filters, and it usually got three oil changes before the filters were changed themselves 🙃🙃......at least 8k miles apart.

The result? One noisy cam chain which eventually let go, unsurprisingly,........I have had a couple of 2.4 , maybe three, Accord K24 motors and with regularly oil and filter changes they were still quiet motors at plus 150k miles and counting....

Peace of mind for the cost of an oil AND filter change every 6000 miles, plus a good saleable vehicle many miles down the line....

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

The timing belt: 06141RDJ305 (new number 06141RDJ315) appears to cross-reference with the KB1 Legend also known as the 2005 Acura RL and Acura MDX easily found on rockauto and the same can be said for the water pump: 19200RDVJ01. However, I would personally purchase my JDM parts directly from Japan via amayama as many after-market suppliers can't get the parts right for the intended vehicles anyway.🙃

Not forgetting all the part numbers Pete AKA @PTR200S listed at the top of this thread are all available from rockauto too.👍

• Like 3