Subscriptions & Donations ×

Jon

Jon

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Jon said:

Just found this forum today. Hello everyone ! How many active members are here ? 

Hi Jon welcome to Honda 6, typically there are 25 active members the majority join to get the answer to a question and won't return for a while? So do you have any questions or car pictures to share with our most active members...

• Like 2

• Moderators

Welcome aboard Jon! Active members - tricky one to answer - most of us just lay here until we're prodded, some sleep - again until prodded but actual active members? Tricky! ??

Sorry, i couldn't resist that one!

Joking aside, we're all fairly active in our own ways, looking forward to seeing pics of your car! ;):D

• Like 1

Hi Guys thanks for the welcome !  Been driving 3.0 Coupes for 15 years. First was silver with black leather, honey of car on a T plate. Mine at 60,000 but sadly gearbox was not good even after a 2k rebuild so chopped it in at 120,000 for a green W reg, tan leather with only 42,000 on the clock! It's actually slightly older than the first one but has had a better life. Paintwork is far from good but it's been otherwise perfect for 10 years. Now done 112,000. Just replaced a CV boot and anti roll bar bushes all round. MOT on Monday so wish me luck !

Have no plans to part with it but must get around to a paint job soon. The big question is what next? These beauties are 20 years old now and can't go on forever ?I

Will pop in from time to time now that I've found you.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Jon said:

Mine at 60,000 but sadly gearbox was not good even after a 2k rebuild so chopped it in

There is a rebuild kit available from the USA which contains modified parts so effectively takes out inherent design flaws in the 1998-1999 MK1 transmission, my coupe has an MK3 transmission and feels very different to the earlier models and has a few extra horses too and got all the bits to fit the 2002 traction control option now...

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

My first thought here is what ATF did they refill it with? :wacko:

Second thought is what ATF was in there before the "failure"? :wacko::wacko:

Like Dave says though maintain it properly with correct fluids (don't use Honda DW1) and it will last, project break in the project section was prime example gearbox had been serviced from 34.000 ish miles and a few times after and had cover well in excess of 160,000 miles and the gearbox lives on in another car to this day...

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, hughezee said:

maintain it properly with correct fluids (don't use Honda DW1)

That's what i was thinking Stu - it was maybe the torque converter at fault rather than the gearbox, especially as the rebuilt box was no better........... :(

• Like 1

I see I have generated some healthy gearbox speculation

For what it's worth while the choice of fluids is indeed critical I am assured by those who specialize that so too is excess heat !  It is deemed to be an equal enemy of the vast quantity of O rings Honda include in these boxes.

• Like 2