Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Legend KB1 - Brakes Serviced By Mickey Mouse aided by Stevie Wonder!

Mazda Man

• Founding Member

Lennie Legend has been with his Uncle Stu since Thursday night tackling the rust spot on the roof caused by some muppet using bathroom sealant on the windscreen.  

Anyway, for the last few months or so I have noticed a squeaking occasionally when applying the brakes.  Stu had already ordered the new pins that hold the pads in place as when he had the wheel off he noticed they were held in with a green house clip and a rusty nail!  I kid you not.

Withiut laughing, feast your eyes on these that Stu removed from my front Brembo callipers:

95289_E92-_F02_F-4_C54-_B553-_B2_F5_EC89

This is the inside of the wheel,  notice the slight groove where the pads have been scoring the disc, much like a glass or tile cutter.

FBDD5_F2_A-_D021-4_E31-8_AF2-8122_E3_D83

Yes, you guessed it.  The incompetent muppet had used a greenhouse clip to hold the pads in and as he couldn’t get the pin through to the other side, he simply hammered it and bent it.  Apparently two of the pins weren’t even in the holes!  To make matters even worse, the @#£%@ had put the pads in the wrong way around.  Therefore the bottom of the pad doesn’t sit right and effectively is scoring the disc which could cause a catastrophic event!  Needless to say, new discs and pads are needed.

So...Tune in next time for an update when Stu fits new discs and pads PROPERLY!

Honestly, you wouldn’t believe it if you didn’t see (and hear) it!  ?

• Sad 2
  • grrrr 1

• Moderators

Was that retaining pin bent in situ? 

If all ready bent no wonder pads weren't, erm, centred !!!!!

If that is the standard of workmanship , as you say Stu,  then I think the complete car needs looking at .... In your own time eh Geoff !!!!?

• Like 2

• Administrators

When Geoff got the car we went over the basics as the front & rear brakes looked and behaved normally at the time, there were a couple niggles visible i.e the retainer clips but it wasn't serious and TBH things are a little obscured from view at the front. Although I did strip down the rears, cleaned and sliders greased and then concentrated on the essential fluids and then a brake noise developed in the last couple of months.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Ah, right so brakes virtually already sorted ?   nice one and brake safety is key on big heavy beasts like these

Really does get my goat when crucial maintenance and repair is done on a bodge it and scarper basis.  ?

• Like 1
  • grrrr 1

• Moderators

Another graduate of the Helen Keller School of Automotive Engineering! As said in my reply about the bathroom sealant roof fix, these congenital flickwits should be forced to ride a unicycle with an upside down metal Cornetto for a saddle!

• Haha 2

• Founding Member

Good news.  Lennie was at his uncle Stu’s last night from 7.30pm until 10.30pm having his new OEM front discs and pads fitted.

News sparkly pads discs and pads from Honda, blimey, the discs are heavy!  You can tell they’re quality.

35010982-_F06_F-4_EE5-_B447-6_A3679755_D

Here’s the first offending disc, the one with the pads in the wrong way round and we’re scoring the inside of the disc like a glass cutter:

38_B8_BC8_F-_D2_F6-4317-_B94_B-2863_BDF1

Here are the pads that come out, Stu commented that they look like Ebay jobbies and were crumbling and not in good condition:

BBEEB343-5_C21-429_A-9_D9_A-_CE195_CD0_E

After having to grind the securing screws off the disc, here is the lovely new disc and pads fitted, everything nicely greased too (ooo errr Dave);

935_C49_F6-_D631-43_AC-_B22_E-8_E65_A232

And another pic;

AEECDA92-24_BF-4_A56-_A383-_F211949_CEAD

It was getting a little dark when Stu started the other side although he was delayed somewhat as the two screws this side were #&£@%#  to remove, however, they were no match for the grinder and screwdriver.

3_B92_FB03-_DC13-4_EEE-9603-_E386_BDA033

Needless to say, the brakes are spot on!  You can certainly tell the difference and fingers cross, I’ve not heard that squeaking noise today either.  Happy Days. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
On 7/6/2018 at 8:47 PM, Lennie Legend said:

I’ve not heard that squeaking noise today either

Just a quick update on the squeak which did return but it always came from the rear N.S rear area, the rear discs looked heavily polished cheap disks or pads or both ? the squeak hasn't returned since we fitted decent rear pads and as Geoff would say my rear squeak has gone Ooo errr Dave, happy days ?

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...