Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe Sun Roof Won't Close "HELP"

BN Coupe

Greetings all.

The V6 continues to run and run, but today the roof wouldn't slide all the way closed - it now won't go further forward than about halfway.  With a bit of coaxing it nearly closed, but when I tried again it again got stuck halfway.  Anyone else had this?  For now I've had to put the car in the garage, and the LS400 on the driveway.

I can take it to the garage but thought I'd ask for tips, if anyone here has any.

Cheers.

• Sad 3

• Administrators

Sorry to hear this Andrew, there is a cap in the headlining at the rear of the roof, so you can manually close the sunroof with the key that's in your tools for the car it looks like an oversized allen key...

• Like 3

That was quick Stu! 

I'll look for that - thanks.  I meant to say that it doesn't seem like an electrical issue - the motor is running, but the roof just seems to get stuck.  Maybe it's something to do with the runners?

• Like 2

• Administrators
13 hours ago, BN Coupe said:

Yes, confirm that.  When manually winding the roof forwards it sticks in the same place.

Working it back an forth should get it to move or the wind deflector part is stuck and needs pushing down...

• Like 3

It was a fifteen-second fix.  There's a sort of bump stop in each roof channel (left and right), and the screw attaching one of them was so loose that the whole thing had popped outwards like the points on a railway track, stopping the roof from going further forward and closing.

IMGP1807%5B316%5D.jpgIMGP1808%5B317%5D.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/24/2018 at 6:57 PM, BN Coupe said:

It was a fifteen-second fix.  There's a sort of bump stop in each roof channel (left and right), and the screw attaching one of them was so loose that the whole thing had popped outwards like the points on a railway track, stopping the roof from going further forward and closing.

IMGP1807%5B316%5D.jpgIMGP1808%5B317%5D.jpg

Was about to say I had same problem and you just need to move some little plastic guide things ? I was panicking as it was about to be jet washed, I do like an easy fix ?

• Like 2

• Moderators

While everyone is checking their sunroofs, don't forget to massage some silicone grease into the seal - helps keep it supple, quiet and leak-free. It's surprising how many squeaky-rattles or is it rattly-squeaks come from the sunroof as the roof flexes with the car as you travel down the road!

It is also a service item, usually once a year but if it hasn't been done, do it once a month for three months, then thre months later, then 6 months and finally a year after that then yearly. ;):D

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

While everyone is checking their sunroofs, don't forget to massage some silicone grease into the seal - helps keep it supple, quiet and leak-free. It's surprising how many squeaky-rattles or is it rattly-squeaks come from the sunroof as the roof flexes with the car as you travel down the road!

It is also a service item, usually once a year but if it hasn't been done, do it once a month for three months, then thre months later, then 6 months and finally a year after that then yearly. ;):D

Which part of the seal exactly, just so I don't wang grease somewhere it doesn't need to be ??

• Like 1

• Moderators

Ooooo-errrrr missus! Nothing like wanging your grease in where it shouldn't be! :lol:

You're looking to get it mainly on the mating face of the seal where it meets the roof but also a bit on the rubber in between that edge and where it mounts onto the sunroof panel so all the rubber is kept flexible.

You can get a lot of the seal by tilting the roof panel and giving it a smear on the parts of the seal you can see. Then lower the panel and slide it back a little until you can get at the front of it. Putting an old newspaper over the seats/centre console while you do this bit is a good idea, just in case you get any drips/drops.

Once you've done the seal, slide the panel fully back and put a light smear on the slides then operate it back and forth a few times to help spread that out. Also if you can see the cables, try and work a bit of grease into those as well and again, operate a few times to help spread it around.

If you get all enthusiastic about where else you can use silicone grease to improve your car, open the doors, boot and bonnet, rub some into the seals, let it soak in for 5-10 minutes then wipe off the excess. Not only will it help protect and revive the seals but will give them a nice sheen as well. Don't forget to wipe off the excess from the sunroof as well.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Accord Coupe Sun Roof Won't Close "HELP"