Subscriptions & Donations ×

Handbrake Warning Light 1998 1999 2000 2001 CG Accord Coupe

V6vtec

20 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Hairdryer?

No, it's the 3 litre v6 ☺️

Top of radiator. I will make a shroud up to cover it once done and then remove and clean the seals on the cluster.

Today and yesterday has been biblical rain. Love the car on the whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hughezee said:

This topic might be of interest if water ingress is persistent?  

Insightful. Thanks again. Opening the boot sees a fair bit from the left unused foglamp area but will now check the sealer and if it's damp on the underside. I noticed a small split in the boot seal too. We shall overcome.

• Like 3

well, there is hardly a trace of water on the inside of the wing despite the rain but will check again, the water you can see came from the rain and what ran out of the fog light on the left, now that I have to do something about. Still, lets see if this keeps any moisture out of the white box 

20181219_191737

20181219_191903

20181219_191908

I can make it a bit shallower but it should do the job, so once again, and I only ran the engine for 30 seconds, no warnings up. 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 1998 1998 2000 2001 Accord Coupe Handbrake Light "WARNING"
  • This topic was pinned and featured
  • 5 months later...

Yeah that's the thing I couldn't tell as it was seized open not on to the disc so it wasn't getting hot and as I'm on my own I couldn't hold the brakes on and turn the rear wheels to check but when I decided to take it all apart I found out the pot was seized in the caliper. The light issue was sorted after some refurbed calipers and new discs pads and fluid 

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'm thinking maybe the fluid level had dropped bringing the light on or is that a separate warning light on that gen Stu?

Both systems will illuminate the same light, edited my post as some are switched at the handbrake and some earthed so could have been either buddy...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Both systems will illuminate the same light, edited my post as some are switched at the handbrake and some earthed so could have been either buddy...

I think when I had to readjust the hand brake cable it might have cured it as it was only pulling 1 caliper really lol

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, hughezee said:

You should really to stop things seizing up,

Agreed and i do occasionally, just to make sure they both work (both cars) but at the same time, both cars have a fearsome reputation for giving trouble when the handbrake is used regularly. I like to think i've got the balance right as they both keep working and neither have caused any problems yet.

I say yet because a certain RWD car needs a replacement rear axle (diff is noisy and vibrates) so will have to have the shoes etc off my axle to transfer onto the donor axle. The discs are scored so i'll probably renew those and maybe the shoes too, pads, maybe as they were new not long back but i should really renew them with the new discs.

Going up to a 3.54:1 diff with the replacement axle (from a 3.91:1) so maybe i can improve on the 38mpg on a run! ;):D:P

• Like 2

Who keeps posting confused emojis it's not hard to understand that I rag my car but service it and fix it when it needs it what's the point in having somthing fun and driving it like an old lady I drive all my cars like I've stole them I live on some great country driving roads and my brakes get a heavy work out lol

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, jayhoath83 said:

it not like the rear calipers don't get a work out as I drive the car quite hard and they get used 

Fit new pads all round, same compound and then check the wear on them all in 6 months time - tell me if you still agree with your own statement then.

I don't agree with it now and i suspect you wouldn't if you thought about it.

When you hit the brakes hard, where does all of the weight of the car go? Onto the front wheels. What would happen to the back wheels if they were being braked as hard as the front ones? They'd lock, that's what.

As for posting confused emojis, it's me. You've just read the reason.

Nowt wrong with giving your car the beans but at least please understand what you're doing when you hit the brakes, it might save your life at some point! ;):D:blink:

• Haha 1