Subscriptions & Donations ×

Just Purchased an Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 "LOW MILES"

Sf00245

Hi All - new to this forum but just found it when searching the ANZ 2622 number plate. I just bought the car and the guy who sold it was a true gent and genuine guy. The story goes that it has been serviced by the same Honda dealership for almost its whole life (an older lady for the first 11 years and more recently an older chap ). The guy who had it last got it serviced by his son who worked for Honda... He sadly passed away and hence it was sold / traded in. I was given the details of the dealership by the trader who said I am free to checkout the story with them as they have the history. I will do that, but sounds legitimate and the vehicle is in perfect working order.... so far...... It does have a small rip in the leather on the edge of the front seat -  any ideas where these can be refurbed? 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Welcome aboard! Stu aka member hughezee has a repair he does on the bolsters, I have to say though i'd be more worried what ATF they used in the gearbox when they serviced it.

If it's DW-1 then it needs changing sooner rather than later. Yes, it's a genuine Honda fluid but it's no good for older boxes. Worth checking the service history to find out. If in doubt, change it anyway.

Once you've had a good look round the forum, hopefully, you'll find the Gallery so you can post up loads of photos of your pride and joy! ;):D

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Just Purchased an Accord Coupe 3.0 V6 "LOW MILES"
  • Administrators
35 minutes ago, Sf00245 said:

Hi All - new to this forum but just found it when searching the ANZ 2622 number plate. I just bought the car and the guy who sold it was a true gent and genuine guy.

Hello and welcome to the club and a big congrats on purchasing a really good example, certainly sounds like it anyway. However like Dave says and we've already discussed, there's a strong possibility of DW1 fluid in the transmission which probably has helped in the short term. Now it would be my top priority to get it replaced with an ATF- Z1 compatible fluid, also if your 100% set on keeping it long term my arm maybe twisted to help sort out the driver seat wear...;):)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Welcome aboard! Stu aka member hughezee has a repair he does on the bolsters, I have to say though i'd be more worried what ATF they used in the gearbox when they serviced it.

If it's DW-1 then it needs changing sooner rather than later. Yes, it's a genuine Honda fluid but it's no good for older boxes. Worth checking the service history to find out. If in doubt, change it anyway.

Once you've had a good look round the forum, hopefully, you'll find the Gallery so you can post up loads of photos of your pride and joy! ;):D

Thanks - I will find that out.. Service was by the Honda dealership so I should be able to find out. What is the recommended ATF?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Hello and welcome to the club and a big congrats on purchasing a really good example, certainly sounds like it anyway. However like Dave says and we've already discussed, there's a strong possibility of DW1 fluid in the transmission which probably has helped in the short term. Now it would be my top priority to get it replaced with an ATF- Z1 compatible fluid, also if your 100% set on keeping it long term my arm maybe twisted to help sort out the driver seat wear...;):)

Great thanks - you have answered my next question already. I will find out and get it changed. I am certainly keeping this in the years not months... 

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Sf00245 said:

What is the recommended ATF?

Stu beat me to it! ^^^^^

I'd go for the ATF-U for the first and second part-changes then if you want a better fluid for the box in yours, Valvoline ATF is a very good one. The first couple of part-changes will in effect flush the DW-1 out so the ATF-U is a more cost-effective option for doing that.

That said, i use ATF-U in my boxes but they're slightly different to what's in the Accord V6 - the UK one at least! The previous gen in the USA used the same engine and box as mine have but that's not really relevant in the UK ;):D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Founding Member

Hi and welcome to the Wikipedia of all things Coupe and Honda. My first priority would be to get the ATF changed by an expert (aka Stu) as Honda haven’t a clue when it comes to the correct fluids. 

Have a good look around the forum for lots of information, help and advice from people who drive these glorious cars, made in Ohio, USA. 

Welcome again. Beep Beep. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, welland99 said:

would be interested to see how bad the seat damage is, and to hear how Stu would recommend repairing it.

I used several methods but it depends on the severity of the wear and how much patience you have more than anything...

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Damage to drivers seat bolster on the bottom left as you look at it is common on the coupe, pretty much every one has damage there I think. 

However, Stu is expert at repairing them and once finished, you wouldn’t know it was damaged as the fix is blended with the colour of the seat!  Lovely.

Have a look around the forum, most recently Purple Haze (my previous coupe), there are a few other threads too. ;) 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Welcome mate, a purchase you won't regret.....an absolute joy to drive and own. Have driven them for nearly 10 years and no plans on changing.....EVER.

Agreed with all that's been said above......you will for sure get every answer to every question on this forum. 

Good luck and look forward to the pics

• Like 4

• The topic was unpinned