Subscriptions & Donations ×

My Accords Accident & Repair

PaulS

• Founding Member

Not what I have done to my coupe,  but my wife crashed our coupe by pulling out in front of someone travelling in the same direction.  Her fault totally.  Front O/S wing. headlight, bumper, wheel, and most worryingly, the offside knuckle joint snapped off where it connects to the steering rack's track rod end....  Need a new track rod end too

It is being rebuilt thanks to Stu's treasure trove of bits.... followed by a bit of paint to make it the same colour again....

Just spent 3 afternoons taking the damaged bits off, with more to do, Progress to follow...

P1080214.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Not strictly what I have done to my coupe today,  but my wife crashed our coupe by pulling out infront of someone travelling in the same direction.  Her fault totally.  Front O/S wing. headlight, bumper, wheel, and most worryingly, the offside knuckle joint smapped off where it connects to the steering rack's track rod end....  Need a new track rod end too

It is being rebuilt thanks to Stu's treasure trove of bits.... followed by a bit of paint to make it the same colour again....

Just spent 3 afternoons taking the damaged bits off, with more to do,,,,  Progress to follow...

P1080214.JPG

Ecky-thoomp!!! She doesn't do thing by halves, your missus! Hope she was ok but gutted about the car! Hope you can patch it up to it's former glory with Stus Spares Stash! ;):D

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

Not strictly what I have done to my coupe today,  but my wife crashed our coupe by pulling out infront of someone travelling in the same direction.  Her fault totally.  Front O/S wing. headlight, bumper, wheel, and most worryingly, the offside knuckle joint smapped off where it connects to the steering rack's track rod end....  Need a new track rod end too

Just spent 3 afternoons taking the damaged bits off, with more to do,,,,  Progress to follow...

P1080214.JPG

Oh no, hope your better half ok, shaken but not stirred ...?

Thats a bit of a bend, no damage under the skin then?

• Like 2

• Founding Member
11 hours ago, PaulS said:

P1080214.JPG

Sorry to hear about your wifes accident mate and as everything as asked I hope she's ok? Glad to see you're all over it to get it back on the road. 

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Thanks all, Karin is ok, it was at 5mph or so on her part pulling out into the path of a 30mph ish Clio which was very badly damaged and which will be written off I suspect.  Under the skin it looks quite OK, - mechanical damage still to be assessed when I have a new knuckle joint fitted as it does not steer at present....  The only damage to the inner wing is where the front wing lower support bracket fits - that was pushed back into and bent the point it mounts on back into the engine bay by around a half inch. 

Just got the wing off and the arch liner is a bit bent and has split the front lower end but if there is no spare available, I will see what I can do with a hot air gun and plastic stapeller.  Off on hols for a couple of weeks then will pick up sorting it out when I am back.

Took the pennypinching step of putting it on SORN for now.... might as well save some cash as the accident was at the end of May and it is unlikely to be back on the road before July anyhow!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founding Member
On 14/06/2017 at 7:41 AM, PTR200S said:

Any news from the workshop? :rolleyes:

Little progress so far as I was away on holiday in Germany breaking my Mitsubishi's engine...- but I got all the bits from Stu on Thursday and have cleaned and painted the mechanical items.  Hope to start fitting them tomorrow to see if there are any additional unknown steering problems.

Need to make an adaptor for my slide hammer (friend has a lathe) to pull out a bracket mounting point - that is first thing tomorrow....hopefully.... More to follow....

Cheers  Paul

• Like 3

• Founding Member

I fitted the "new" knuckle joint today - well sort of.... there was no nut for the bottom swivel with the "new" one and after unsuccessfully looking through the bits in the dismantle box, I remebered that I had to destroy the original to get theoriginal  joint off....  And then I noticed the manky thread on the "new" joint...Took it all off again then measured the thread as 12x1.25 , searched my bits & pieces and eventually found a proper hardness castellated nut with the correct thread.  Found a matching die & cleared the thread.  Now ready to try again tomorrow....

More to follow

• Like 3

• Founding Member

I got the hub nut off using a 3/4" drive and from memory a 36mm socket.  No pipe extension but I did use a hammer on the far end of the 3/4" bar to act as an impact driver... my fancy air and electric impact drivers were 1/2 drive and I cannot find my 1/2 to 3/4 adaptor.... .  It was tight.....

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, PaulS said:

fitted the "new" knuckle joint today - well sort of.... there was no nut for the bottom swivel with the "new" one and after unsuccessfully looking through the bits in the dismantle box, I remebered that I had to destroy the original to get theoriginal  joint off....

I knew I should have included some spare castle nuts and split pins, sorry about that Paul :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Progress on my rebuild is ongoing:  the new knuckle joint and track rod end are fitted. (Tracking needs fixing though...) The new wing, bumper support brackets straightened and fitted. New headlight fitted.  Arch liner sort of fitted.  Seems I have lost, misused or otherwise gone wrong with clips as what I have left does not seem to fit....  Ordered some more clips....

With a lot of hot air and a fair degree of perseverance, I might have straightened my old bumper enough to use again (saves painting!!) I reserve judgement until I try to fit it when teh clips appear....And my plastic stapling kit has worked overtime on arch liners and undertray too.  These(ex Hughezee)  should be OK

More to follow at the weekend when the clips arrive and I try to refit sill cover, arch liner, undertray and bumper!

• Like 3

• Founding Member

Progress on my coupe repair continues.  All clips now arrived & in place and all parts fitted.  Just needs a lick of paint.... retaxing it too when the website is back up....

Tomorrow will be "try it out on the road" day....then if OK will get paint......

Honda after repair.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

Great stuff Paul, the bumper doesn't look too bad all things considered, but all honesty any filler used with that sort of damage will easily fall out?

Looking forward to your views after the road test, hope all goes smoothly ;)

• Like 2

• Founding Member

And now it is back on the road! And all one colour again....maybe not the best ever spray job, but very good considering it was sprayed outside with squally wind....No filler used at all but the bumper had a lot of the hot air gun and my fist....

honda fixed.jpg

• Like 4

• Founding Member

Damage was front bumper bent forward and generally bashed about, front offside wing flattened, offside headlight wrecked, offside knuckle joint snapped, various brackets bent or broken, offside track rod end floppy, minor inner wing damage, offside wheel arch liner snapped, front undertray snapped.  Plus various clips which were either wrecked in the accident or damaged trying to get them off.

I found that the front sidelight bulb was also difficult to fit with the lamp in place and in my case I took out the whole headlight again to fit the sidelight bulb.  Just as well as the old bulb has kindly fallen out of the holder and had gone for a walk inside the headlamp itself..  30 mins puzzling how to get it out before I managed it....

• Like 2

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Damage was front bumper bent forward and generally bashed about, front offside wing flattened, offside headlight wrecked, offside knuckle joint snapped, various brackets bent or broken, offside track rod end floppy, minor inner wing damage, offside wheel arch liner snapped, front undertray snapped.  Plus various clips which were either wrecked in the accident or damaged trying to get them off.

I found that the front sidelight bulb was also difficult to fit with the lamp in place and in my case I took out the whole headlight again to fit the sidelight bulb.  Just as well as the old bulb has kindly fallen out of the holder and had gone for a walk inside the headlamp itself..  30 mins puzzling how to get it out before I managed it....

I was pulling you leg Paul and it was intended as a compliment, looks a very tidy job ;)

• Like 2