Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord V6 Power Flow Exhaust System Sound

Bluejmc2005

• Moderators

Is it at a particular engine speed or under load or anything where you can work out a set of circumstances so you can recreate it at any time you like?

For example, is it worst at say 50mph in 3rd or 4th or at half throttle, full throttle or whatever?

Also, daft though it may sound, is your air filter clean? If not then it will make the engine work harder for the same output and this will be heard in the exhaust note. Also a dirty air filter means using more of that precious amber nectar and i don't mean a certain Australian lager!

Maybe one (or two) of these might help :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Car-Tuning-Styling-/14761/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=db+killer

I'll try and get a video of my Sterling exhaust later, that runs a similar sort of system to yours in as much as it has twin back boxes.

• Like 2

It's worse at lower speeds 1st and 2nd, the more I rev the louder it is! Air filter is a k and n and says sealed for life...

The outside exhaust sound isn't so bad, some might even like it, it's the noise within the car. I'm no expert but it makes me think the engine is struggling which clearly it isn't!

• Moderators

If it's any help, here's a short vid of mine to give you an idea, although i'm thinking yours could bein need of a tweak omewhere along the lines to get rid of the intrusive sound.

http://s567.photobucket.com/user/scoobyh123/media/VID_20150105_2117325381.mp4.html

To give you an idea, when i hold the revs before the last 2 blips, it's doing about 3800-4000rpm then with the second blip i managed to hit the rev limiter.

It is deeper under load actually being driven but only because it is working for a living. ;)

• Like 1

• Founding Member

It's worse at lower speeds 1st and 2nd, the more I rev the louder it is! Air filter is a k and n and says sealed for life...

The outside exhaust sound isn't so bad, some might even like it, it's the noise within the car. I'm no expert but it makes me think the engine is struggling which clearly it isn't!

It sounds like it's just a noisier exhaust than your used to, I don't think you have any issues unless the car feels well down on power.

It might not be ideal but at least it shows the last owner wasn't the type of person to skimp when he needed to spend a few quid on sorting his car out, which can only be a good sign.

Maybe getting in touch with a local Powerflow installer and talking to them might put your mind at ease?

• Like 1

• Moderators

What sort of car did you have before and did it have a standard exhaust on it? The exhaust on my Sterling isn't standard but is pretty quiet until i hoof it - even then it's a subdued deep growl up to about 3800-4000rpm when it switches to a V6-based howl similar in sound to an F-15 with all the taps open. ;):D

• Moderators

If it really is too noisy to live with, you could give those dB killers a go. What sort of area are you in? There might be a local exhaust place (one that builds their own systems to customers spec) that could perhaps help you out with selecting a dB killer to make it easier to live with.

As for your spelling etc, i wouldn't worry lol! You should see some of my typos and spelling errors when i'm either tired or recently taken my painkillers!

Gloucester. Yes might be an idea just to see what they say - I know its the exhaust because if i rev with the car in neutral same sound appears

I need to get the stereo sorted, the bonnet done, the wheels done and then the exhaust and i have a smashing car wghihc i thi9nk looks a lot newer than it should do, might even think about a private plate to shide age as i think she is a keeper (love the drive)

• Like 1

• Moderators

There's a couple of places that regularly have exhuast bits for sale on ebay, one is MIJ Exhausts (as featured on Car SOS) and the other one that i'm sure is a sister company or somehow linked to them which is the seller of this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260841086933?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

MIJ are one of the sellers of the dB killers i previously linked to - both are in the Birmingham area, not sure how far that is from you? If you could get there though i'm sure they could help you and from everything you've said, although the sound at the tailpipe is quiet, i suspect under load it gets a lot louder?

• Moderators

Also a contributory factor in premature deafness allegedly......................i'm a bit mutton at certain frequencies these days, predominantly 25 and 50Hz and certain harmonics of those frequencies. When you consider i spent most of my working life either with generators or with heavy machinery powered by big electric motors (think generator in reverse for the frequencies) you can see how it happened. Most of the generators i worked on were 6 cylinder jobbies although there were a few V16s so if you work out the frequencies produced by them running at 1500rpm and you can tell me what other frequencies i don't hear well now.

Put another way, turning the stereo up won't fix your exhaust and if you seriously find it uncomfortable, do something about it. It could be the previous owner wanted it to be extra noisy and although it doesn't sound loud on the video, it could be louder in reality.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

sorry, just looked at the video and ....ain't heard anything? I had a powerflow back box  on my del sol and it sounded like Ferrari , this doesn't sound like a power flow to me?

Which video? There's at least 3 to choose from?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Powerflo often sell through franchise exhaust dealers and as such, some systems are tailor made to the car and the customers wishes. If the person who had that fitted wanted "quiet", "subdued growl" or "as near factory as possible" then they certainly got it.

Don't forget the Powerflo back box you fitted on your Del Sol may have been a universal box designed to give reasonable performance on a wide range of cars and be louder on some than others. Also it could just as easily have been a subdued growl on your Del Sol as well, instead of sounding like a Ferrari.

That said, the original S600 (S800?) had the exhaust tuned to sound like a Ferrari at the factory at the wishes of the chief of Honda after having seen a Ferrari at a Motor Show and later on the track. Since then most Hondas have this sound, even if it is subdued for the general public. Can't remember all the details of this urban myth but i understand it to be one of the rare, true urban myths.

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned