Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Legend & Rover 827 Not Starting No Click "FUEL RELAY"

Laird_Scooby

• Moderators

Here's the progress on mine this morning :

IMG-20171021-114425273.jpg

Cleaned up with a soft brass wire brush before starting. Fairly easy to see the two joints nearest the front aren't good and there's a few more that are dodgy too!

IMG-20171021-114439291.jpg

About 1/3 of the way through :

IMG-20171021-115509946.jpg

All done ready for cleaning with IPA and brush :

IMG-20171021-120610184.jpg

Looks much better now! Just need to give it a squirt of clear lacquer to protect it now then reassemble it :

IMG-20171021-120946503.jpg

Finally, ready to be refitted to the car :

IMG-20171021-122214492.jpg

Got a few other things to do before refitting it but i'm confident it will be fine. I should have done all the joints originally and lacquered it but me being me, wanted to prove i had the correct joint and when i found i had, it errrrr......... got forgotten about! :blush:

Still it's done now, should last a good few years before needing to touch it again - i hope! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

The revised relay has a much bigger circuit track to cope with the stresses and to date haven't fixed the newer unit as of yet???

Hmmm, maybe there is another problem then, however, I have used a different solder this time round too, flows a little better than previous one that i used... lead version as opposed to the "lead free" greenie open toed sandle version :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Got a few other things to do before refitting it but i'm confident it will be fine. I should have done all the joints originally and lacquered it but me being me, wanted to prove i had the correct joint and when i found i had, it errrrr......... got forgotten about! :blush:

Yep, me too! Just had to check i was on the right path tracking the fault :lol:

• Like 2

• Founding Member
On 10/19/2017 at 1:46 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Likewise! By sheer coincidence the postie has just delivered one :

IMG_20171019_130440046.jpg

Easy to see why it won't start! The three pads in a row on the left all have dry joints that are easy to see, however all the other joints look dry when viewed from different angles and under different lighting.

Something to play with later - all joints will be serviced, old solder removed with solder sucker and new solder (leaded this time!) applied. It's done well though, it's from a 1990 827 Sterling! :o;):D

STUPID QUESTION ALERT!!  To someone like me who never solders anything, you say you can see the dry joints in the pic but what am I looking for?  What are dry joints?

I'll just sit in the corner with my dunce hat on.  Ask me about invoice finance prepayments or recourse periods and I'm fine but this soldering malarkey........

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Moderators

Ah-ha! The black art of electrickery strikes again! :D

If you look at the three pads in question Geoff, you'll see they aren't evenly coloured, in particuler there is a dark, matt effect ring round the pin on the solder. Solder should be bright and shiny, not dull and matt. Basically means the joint is dry because it hasn't flowed properly so the solder has oxidised rather than melted if you get my meaning?

To give you a good comparison, here's mine after resoldering it yesterday :

IMG_20171021_120946503.jpg

You can see the difference in the joints, all are nice and smooth, even, bright and shiny. I had in fact just wire-brushed it with a soft brass wire brush and IPA to clean/degrease it ready for the lacquer and i didn't get an after shot of it lacquered other than it looks extra shiny all over now! :lol:

Hopefully that explains it for you Geoff? As for those spreadsheets and stuff, that is some seriously weird kind of witchcraft! ;):D:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Ha ha Dave, ahh yes the Excel spreadsheet.  Tis witchcraft unless you understand how to do stuff.  Hence why my wife hasn't a clue and I have to do everything for her.  

Ask me about dry solder joints and I haven't got a clue....ask me about invoice finance, factoring and spreadsheets and I can help.  :D

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, welland99 said:

Spreadsheets are brill when you get them.  

In my case, they might be IF i got them! :lol:

I can manage Firefox, Solitaire/Klondike, FreeCell and the basics on Adobe Aggrobot, sort of stumble through Word and use a freeware circuit diagram drawing program and C-Cleaner and Defraggler - after that i'm lost on software!

Hardware i'm fine on or at least was a few years back (more than a few now) as long as the right tools were available, logic analyser, spectrum analyser, signal injector etc but software, that's an unlearnable foreign language for me! ;):D

• Haha 1

• The topic was unpinned