Subscriptions & Donations ×

98-02 Accord Coupe Fuel Light Question

abz2005

Afternoon folks,

Just a quick one, do these coupes have fuel level low lights, I'm pretty sure they do, I just can't see where it would be as I haven't seen one yet and I'm sure on the pic I took earlier it would've been on by now 

20160524_140458.jpg

• Administrators

Yes you are right abz the fuel light should have come on by know, looking at the position of the gauge very likely the bulb has blown :huh: Also I have linked some related topics and I've linked part of the discussion relating to the exact same issue you have first, so check it out m8y ;)

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but my fuel warning light sort of glows on and off rather than staying on, like it's trying to remind me gently!  Is this normal?  It's not a problem as I usually put fuel in before the level is that low.

Cancel that - just seen Geoff's comment about his glowing on and off to start with.

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Agreed, looks like a blown bulb.  Mine comes on around say 3 notches up and kind of glows.  If I go round a corner it goes off then comes on again, presumably because of the float level.  Once it comes on it doesn't mean you're about to conk out though, I've driven another say 10 miles before I've found a garage.  ^_^

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 98-02 Accord Coupe Fuel Light Question
  • 6 months later...

Hi.

Can someone in the know please tell me how the Fuel Reserve Light works?

I've had mine come on on the rare occasion when I have been low on Fuel, ie just touching the "E" Line. Not often, maybe 3 times in total.

But recently the Gauge has gone below that line and still no Warning Light.

The little Warning Light is just below the actual Fuel Gauge and lights up Yellow and sort of changes in intensity dependant on how much of the Reserve you have used I suppose.

I thought maybe the Bulb had blown but having a look I see no corresponding Bulb anywhere near where it should be. I even removed the Rear White Plastic Panel to see if it was hidden - but zilch, nada!

Can anyone throw some light, (pun not intended) on the subject please???

Thanks, Bill. :)

• Moderators

Never had mine come on but only been down to just over the E mark,,, maybe got to be on the E ?

I tend not to let the fuel get too low as older cars usually have crud somewhere at the bottom of the tank !, yes I know there are filters but still.......:wacko:

• The title was changed to 98-02 Accord Coupe Fuel Light Question
  • Administrators

The light should come on just below the 3 quarters used mark and the bulb location illustrated below, it could be the sender unit, but normally the light remains illuminated even with a full tank, so my first thought would be to test or swap the bulb ;)

IMG-20170814-222131%5B1%5D.jpgIMG-20170814-222112%5B1%5D.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hughezee said:

The light should come on just below the 3 quarters used mark and the bulb location illustrated below, it could be the sender unit, but normally the light remains illuminated even with a full tank, so my first thought would be to test or swap the bulb ;)

IMG-20170814-222131%5B1%5D.jpgIMG-20170814-222112%5B1%5D.jpg

Thanks Stu.....

Bugger! I wasn't looking for a 501 type Bulb Holder.... Totally missed it...lol.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, hughezee said:

Looks like mine is bust too , then :(

Maybe should let it drop to E just to be sure... Hope its not to far to walk home, just in case !!

Mine used to come on, (at just above the "E" Marker Line) but there again I had fitted it with a Red 501 because when I changed the colour of the dash lights to red because of its size I just thought it was one of them... Durrr!

Anyway I swapped it over complete with a different holder as when testing it with a meter in the holder the connection seemed intermittent, whereas just testing the bulb, (that would be the red one that was in there) it was fine - not blown.

With a clear 501 in a different socket the connection was 100%.

Anyway, I will test it before putting fuel in, which won't be long. :)

I'll let you guys know. ;)

Well, as you are all aware I fitted a known working Bulb and I have been brave and run it until the Needle is just below the "E" Marker Line and still no light.

I know it was working previously a few weeks ago - but now nada. Kaput!

Well, at least I know it's good until the "E" Marker Line at least if nothing else.

So ^%$* it.... :)

Found a nice little video on how to test the Bulb and Circuitry to eliminate those just leaving the Sensor inside the Tank at fault.

Did this Test and the Reserve Light lit up. So that leaves the Sensor, and seeing as it is part and parcel of the Float Mechanism, it can stay bust!

I normally keep it above 1/4 anyway. ;)

Ciao.