Subscriptions & Donations ×

1998-2002 Accord Coupe Power Steering Cooler Leak?

BN Coupe

Big oil leak on the street from the car this morning, and when I moved it a few yards it left a few blobs more.  Is this likely to be a failed seal, or the pump?  Everything seems dry and oil-free under the bonnet. 

Car is booked in to the garage next week but I was just wondering how big a job this might be.  The car was probably due for an oil change, and it looks like it's trying to do that itself...

• Sad 1

• Administrators

Hopefully, something simple like a rusty oil filter or leaky sump plug ^_^ although I would check the transmission level or the PAS fluid as those cooler pipes will corrode then dripping fluid which can be difficult to distinguish from engine oil as it leaks it cleans all the muck off the splash guards and darkens.

Please keep us posted Andrew ;)

Will check this evening when I get home from work.  There was no time this morning.  It had rained overnight, and the oil slick (slight exaggeration) looked sort of bluish.  But I didn't have time to do anything except move the car and see whether the oil trail followed it - which it did, as if oil was starting to be pumped out again.  The oil light went out as normal, but I guess this doesn't mean much.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If it was engjne oil big time then oil light coming on would be too late to save the engine :(

Even small amounts of oil look HUGE in water :rolleyes: hopefully its a minor "leak" that just appears to be big.... Fingers crossed.

If you can work out which corner of the engine bay its under maybe you can see something at top....

As Stu says have a check of the oil filter , see if its coming from a loosening filter...not unknown....

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

No won't evaporate like fuel,,.......... Its not fuel is it? Washing oil off the bits on its way down...mind you should have smelt it as you got out the car but by morning it would have evaporated and left the oily residue for you to see and get excited about :D

Can you  see any evidence of leakage up top? If not then you need to get it on some ramps and have look underneath, friendly garage close by? 

Have you checked all fluid levels?   And daft as it may sound check wash wipe for leakage, that would have evaporated and when you saw it would likely have leached oil out of the tarmac assuming you have some sort of detergent in the system.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Transmission fluid will turn to a jelly substance if there's enough visible, but will generally stain most surfaces or leave a residue like any other of the cars vital fluids, with exception of brake fluid or coolant in good condition. Another one could, in fact, be coolant as this sometimes give off an oil like appearance (rainbow) in large enough area. I think the best option is to check all levels when cold and top up as needed then get your trusted garage for a check over. 

• Like 2

Latest: I don't think it's engine oil.  The filter is on tight.  There are still a couple of damp spots on the ground under the front of the engine from this morning when I moved the car across the road, and underneath, part of the plastic tray (sump guard?) is still wet.  

I mopped this up on a wipe, and it doesn't look black enough to be oil or red enough to be ATF.  Coolant?  There was a rainbow-like effect on the puddle this morning.  Or PAS fluid?  

I'm leaving the car at the garage on Monday but just wondered what you all thought meanwhile.  Thanks for your suggestions.

leak.jpg

• Confused 2

• Moderators

Yep definitely worth a check, Stu pointed me there too just to make sure all ok, I can't see Stu original info but if you check on page 22 of the "what have you done to your coupe today" thread I have just reposted pictures of mine (photofuc#@£ fiasco)

Maybe that will help you:D

Sorry can't post link to page, I am using a tablet and computer say "no" !!!

Update for you all.

Big spots of oil (definitely) on the road this morning.  Garage says that the oil cooler pipe has rotted through.  Special order item, apparently, but they hope to get one and fit it on Friday.  Good news is that the engine is bone dry (i.e. no leaks) and oil level still above the minimum.  It'll be nice to be back driving the Green Beast - I've missed it this week.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Well, that's good new's they've found it, but based on all the info you've provided it has to be the power steering cooler, this part is close on 100 squid if you didn't realise.

Maybe worth checking out these comments linked below...

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, BN Coupe said:

It'll be nice to be back driving the Green Beast - I've missed it this week.

Just spent yesterday in my Greenie and a bit of today as well, I missed it too after being rattled around in a van all week !:P

The anticipation is, sometimes, just too much :D

• Sad 1

• Founding Member

Did they order new clips for the pipe too?  My old ones snapped (as they had gone brittle) when I tried to remove the old pipe.  Luckily i had ordered these clips in advance after advice from Hughezee.Think they were £12 for the set

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 1998-2002 Accord Coupe Power Steering Cooler Leak?