Subscriptions & Donations ×

Davanti DX640 Tyres "225 50 R17"

hughezee

• Moderators
7 hours ago, hughezee said:

Just ordered 4 Davanti tyres and I will have them on by Wednesday next week, just hope they meet my expectations. ;) 

Gulp, I will deny all if they don't live up to your expectations!:P

Still, well happy with mine, just can't bring myself, or afford right now :(, to get some for the back as the tread / date on existing ones is all good...

• Like 2

• Founding Member
6 hours ago, hughezee said:

Thanks for that Pete :rolleyes::lol: I went for the 225/50/R17 I have in fact been using different sets of wheels to get a feel for the branded stuff, nothing wrong with my Avon's, to be honest, they are just getting old now. ;)

On which car Stu? I know you have 18's on your coupe 

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mangoman said:

Where did you order them from Stu?

Local independent car dealer via their workshop very trustworthy place and I went for DX640 in a 225 50 17 98Y after looking at the others in the Davanti range, as well as some other brands. All fitted, wheels balanced and tracking checked after a few miles on them. £330 bargain

• Like 2

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

That is a good deal considering the DX640's sell for 95+ Quid each!

I forgot to mention they are charging me for tyre disposal as well for that price :lol::D  they are not interested in repair or tyre profits, just selling and servicing cars ;)

• Like 2

Well, I still consider myself lucky that I got 4 235/40x18's fitted, including balancing and disposal for £250.00.

I know they are Nexen N8000 and the 'E' Label gives them a bad mark, but I have read reviews on them from Australia to America to Malaysia and South Africa, as well as here and my own experience so far and I have only read glowing reports comparing them to Michelin, Contis and Bridgestone in performance, sometimes exceeding those in the wet!

So I wonder how much we should read into this 'E' Label....??? Look, I'm not doubting or trying to detract from the Davanti's performance which sounds really good, but generally they seem quite expensive for a 17" Malaysian tyre. :(

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mangoman said:

Well, I still consider myself lucky that I got 4 235/40x18's fitted, including balancing and disposal for £250.00.

Agreed you did get a good deal on the Nexen's especially with 18's :) just collected my wheels and it was even less £307.00 as I didn't take the car in just the wheels ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

That's a result Stu! :D:D

Bills comments above about the "E" label etc ring a certain amount of truth for me on my Austone Athenas as fitted to my Coupé. I can't remember the ratings for them but they weren't that great, despite being a premium tyre in Australia. I suspect the fact they are sold cheaply here because they were unknown has a lot to do with it - you get what you pay for right? Not always it seems! I've heard a lot of good things about Nexens as well along smilar lines to what Bill is saying and also similar to my experience with these Austones.

I've only managed to break traction once in the wet, first rainfall after a dry period so the roads were slimy to start with and i was being seriously brutal, other than that they seem to grip in the wet like a limpet on something limpets grip onto. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Dx640, that's the performance summer tyre version of the one I fitted, ........................mine is the DX390 which is the touring summer tyre....

be interesting to see how you get on with those as they are different again to the ones I fitted.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Davanti/DX640.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Davanti/DX390.htm

Quite agree on the tyre label, the fuel rating part is stupid anyway as it is quite dependent on how the car is driven / weight of car etc...

• Like 1

• Administrators

Well my first trip out on these new rubber boots and apart from looking fat like continentals there aren't any real world differences to my old Avon ZV5's, comfort retained although was hoping for a little bit more going from 45 to 50 depth, well they fill the wheel arches better so I can live with the fat look.

Road noise reduced a little but having wax sealed the car and extra dampening and not forgetting sealing up the rear arches made a big difference anyway, so it's probably not a fair judgement on how much they could have helped with road noise.

Fuel economy was retained maybe a smidge better, calculated 41mpg on mainly A roads with a short stint on the M42 I follow up with a more accurate result when I fill up again though.

Handling and grip is still great, can't really compare as switching from standard alloys to wider ones made a notable improvement and lowering the car again was a very noticeable improvement, so just a bit of wet weather to decide that one really.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Any update Stu? Have you "pressed the loud button" in anger yet? :D

Seriously,  how are they doing for a performance tyre ?

My touring versions of the Davanti are instilling a good feel to the ride and stiction. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

I can see i might have to give these Davantis a try at some point!

It seems there is a new breed of tyre coming from China these days, i recently fitted a set of Invovic tyres to the Volvo, simply because they were cheap. I wasn't expecting anything great from them but the first obvious thing i noticed was when i fitted the 4th tyre and all of a sudden i thought i'd gone deaf! All 4 of the new ones were quieter than just one of the old ones but once driving them the grip in the dry is excellent and wet roads don't seem to make any difference.

Perhaps they've finally realised they need to lose their "Ditchfinder" image! ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

Have to say i have the same concern about the ones i bought. However another way of looking at it is that mine (not sure about the Davantis) were cheap enough that at the halfway point if they no longer perform it won't be a hardship to renew them.

Be interesting to see if they really have got it right at long last in China though! Someone suggested to me the other day that if you swamp a market with cheap goods then eventually by pure force of economy, that will eliminate the competition. Then you're free to improve the quality and with it the cost as you now have a monopoly. Yes you could leave the quality the same but then you risk someone else doing the same to you but making them slightly better with a lower profit but much better quality.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...