Subscriptions & Donations ×

Potential Owner,in negotiations!

PTR200S

• Moderators

Hi all,

Just working on a deal for 2001 Accord Coupe...... Had a lot of Honda stuff over the years, bikes particularly, cars including everything from my first Civic 1500HL a VERY long time back ('80's !) . My first Accord "coupe" was a 1600 2 door 1978 version! Really the hatch saloon I think!

Since then had Accord four door Saloons, Estate cars, two Aerodecks (USA built) and currently have a Tourer 2.4 exec, Had a Mk1 Prelude back in the day and a CRX "coupe" (1990 VTEC) also had a Legend coupe for a couple of years (money pit) and the other half has a Jazz :lol:, daughter too!!

An S2000 still resides in the garage but I have never had an Accord coupe V6, looked in the past but never found anything I liked.... maybe this is the one !!

If it comes to pass I will post pics here, I usually use photobucket on forums so I presume this is ok here? 

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Hi, and welcome...... :)

And your question is....????? :D

Do I need a question to introduce myself on the forum !! :lol:

Ok, Just how many of these V6 coupe in the UK ? Seem to be a few around on the net............

• Like 1

No, just kidding...

I was reading through it expecting a question and felt a little deflated when there wasn't one...lol. :)

Got a link to the one you are thinking of buying?

There are about 270 - 300 left on the road - so quite rare actually. Only 1100 brought in from 1998 to 2003 I believe. (Although I could be wrong).

• Founding Member

Hiya and welcome to the bestest Accord Coupe Forum on the net.  We all own them and we all love them, there are a few members that have other marques too.  We're a friendly bunch so don't be afraid to ask anything, we've all been there, you're sure of a swift answer from people that know.

There are two versions, both made in Ohio in the USA.  There's the 2.0ES and the 3.0 V6, I've had both.  My current steed is Purple Haze and believe me, once you get one, you'll wonder why you didn't get one earlier, I know I did.  They solid, dependable, reliable, well made and quite powerful motors, the V6 is 200 bhp.  For example, at its last MOT my car passed with no advisories, high is incredible for a 1998 motor.  :)

From memory there are currently around 300 ish V6's on the road and even less of the 2.0ES, so they're becoming quite a rare car, which is nice because you're driving something different.  The back end is styled on the NSX.  The main things to look for are ATF changes (please read up on the forum about these as certain fluids are not good.  Valvoline MaxLife is a favourite), regular oil changes and of course the cam belt. 

Driving one every day is an event to look forward too.  Now.....there are two types of coupe out there;  the MINTERS, well maintained and well looked after and you'll find the people on here.  Then there are the SHEDS, probably part exchanged and had little or no maintenance and probably have slipping autos or peeling paint.

Our resident Coupe Guru is Stu and we meet up once a year at Honda 6 HQ.

Welcome again.  Beep Beep.  ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

No, just kidding...

I was reading through it expecting a question and felt a little deflated when there wasn't one...lol. :)

Got a link to the one you are thinking of buying?

There are about 270 - 300 left on the road - so quite rare actually. Only 1100 brought in from 1998 to 2003 I believe. (Although I could be wrong).

Ha, Ha ! :D

Got a few links.....but don't want to post them just in case someone else jumps in :P

Seriously, just working on one now and the car has been withdrawn from the net adverts on that basis.

It's a 2001 model, V6 , 82k with service history, few bodywork issues, scuffs and scrapes....will post more soonest.  

Here is a another question ! 

Do I post updates on this thread or create another one? don't want to cock it up anywhere, looks a nice clean forum !

Not many left then, .. and going down I suspect.:(

• Like 1

• Founding Member

You're not wrong.  I know of at least two that have recently / are imminently going to the scrap man in the sky.  Mines done 105k and pulls like a train, no slipping and drives straight as an arrow.  You can let go of the wheel at 70 and it'll stay straight.  

Photo Bucket is great for pics, click on insert other media below and copy and paste the link.  Simples.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

Hiya and welcome to the bestest Accord Coupe Forum on the net.  We all own them and we all love them, there are a few members that have other marques too.  We're a friendly bunch so don't be afraid to ask anything, we've all been there, you're sure of a swift answer from people that know.

There are two versions, both made in Ohio in the USA.  There's the 2.0ES and the 3.0 V6, I've had both.  My current steed is Purple Haze and believe me, once you get one, you'll wonder why you didn't get one earlier, I know I did.  They solid, dependable, reliable, well made and quite powerful motors, the V6 is 200 bhp.  For example, at its last MOT my car passed with no advisories, high is incredible for a 1998 motor.  :)

From memory there are currently around 300 ish V6's on the road and even less of the 2.0ES, so they're becoming quite a rare car, which is nice because you're driving something different.  The back end is styled on the NSX.  The main things to look for are ATF changes (please read up on the forum about these as certain fluids are not good.  Valvoline MaxLife is a favourite), regular oil changes and of course the cam belt. 

Driving one every day is an event to look forward too.  Now.....there are two types of coupe out there;  the MINTERS, well maintained and well looked after and you'll find the people on here.  Then there are the SHEDS, probably part exchanged and had little or no maintenance and probably have slipping autos or peeling paint.

Our resident Coupe Guru is Stu and we meet up once a year at Honda 6 HQ.

Welcome again.  Beep Beep.  ;)

Is there only the two versions then? no LS EX that sort of thing?

So just one trim level with additional equipment variations?

Interesting that it only puts out 200bhp, more interesting is the near enough that level torque...nothing like a good shove for real world overtaking :rolleyes:

My S2000 has less torque and more BHP but makes for exciting vtec overtaking at 9k revs! but sadly lacking in the shove dept....:(

Been doing a bit of reading re the slush box, only four speed? and it looks like the tranny oil change is on the cards, first job, thanks for the info ..

Do the cambelts break at a set mileage !!:unsure:

• Founding Member

I believe 50 to 70 the V6 used to be able to outrun a Porsche.  :o. I'm sure Stu will chip in regarding the auto.  Yes it's 4 speed and as I've mentioned earlier, please check other threads regarding changing the ATF and which fluid to use.  Flushing gallons of fluid through is not good.  If you don't know when the cam belt was changed then personally, for piece of mind, I would get it changed.  

Rrim levels are good, some have the coveted body kits, front fogs and real plastic walnut centre console. ;). The drivers lumbar support usually rips, it's just due to the angle of the seat and wearing jeans, I think the studs just wear it out in that particular place.  

I'd have a good browse around the site as there's lots of information, tips and pics to help you.  ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, GeoffPurpleHaze said:

I believe 50 to 70 the V6 used to be able to outrun a Porsche.  :o. I'm sure Stu will chip in regarding the auto.  Yes it's 4 speed and as I've mentioned earlier, please check other threads regarding changing the ATF and which fluid to use.  Flushing gallons of fluid through is not good.  If you don't know when the cam belt was changed then personally, for piece of mind, I would get it changed.  

Rrim levels are good, some have the coveted body kits, front fogs and real plastic walnut centre console. ;). The drivers lumbar support usually rips, it's just due to the angle of the seat and wearing jeans, I think the studs just wear it out in that particular place.  

I'd have a good browse around the site as there's lots of information, tips and pics to help you.  ;)

Thanks for the info, will have a good peruse now.

Then off to bed !  To Dream The Impossible Dream  :P

• Like 1

• Administrators

Welcome to the club Pete and I hope all goes smoothly in securing the right coupe, whether it be a 2.0ES or the 3.0V6 :)

Regards posting, no real dramas there, we want it to keep things simple & friendly for users of the site, but when the mood takes me I will very often break up the little pockets of resistance around the site talking about several interesting things on one topic, which is useless for other users looking for info via google or searching via the site :rolleyes: so I will dissect a discussion (if possible) and distribute things in the right places and drop you a quick message to say where it's gone... :unsure::lol:

FYI all the 1998-02 coupes first registered in the UK are all EX models ;)

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 28/01/2017 at 10:34 PM, hughezee said:

Welcome to the club Pete and I hope all goes smoothly in securing the right coupe, whether it be a 2.0ES or the 3.0V6 :)

Regards posting, no real dramas there, we want it to keep things simple & friendly for users of the site, but when the mood takes me I will very often break up the little pockets of resistance around the site talking about several interesting things on one topic, which is useless for other users looking for info via google or searching via the site :rolleyes: so I will dissect a discussion (if possible) and distribute things in the right places and drop you a quick message to say where it's gone... :unsure::lol:

FYI all the 1998-02 coupes first registered in the UK are all EX models ;)

Thanks for welcome! 

Ok, done the deal, collect Wednesday this week.

Will post pics as soon as i get it and have determined where to start on it! 

It, apparently, has full Honda main dealer service history but i have been here before so will be scrutinising everything :rolleyes:

Checking the air and oil filter is easy but things like cabin/ pollen filters give the game away, usually.

Gearbox oil / level at the top of the list along with brake pads n disks .

Does the dizzy / rotor / leads give much trouble?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Great News, hope all goes smoothly Wednesday ;)

Regards niggles or faults which are going to be age-related like any other Japanese car e.g blow bulbs, old fluids :lol: anyway the leads & dizzy have no real issues but replacing a 15+ year old dizzy and rotor will only improve an already good engine :)

• Like 2

• Moderators
19 hours ago, hughezee said:

Great News, hope all goes smoothly Wednesday ;)

Regards niggles or faults which are going to be age-related like any other Japanese car e.g blow bulbs, old fluids :lol: anyway the leads & dizzy have no real issues but replacing a 15+ year old dizzy and rotor will only improve an already good engine :)

Thanks for that, just hope its nothing big or terminal that its got !

• Moderators

Is there a particular section to start a new thread on my car?  (hopefully arriving today, EXCITED !:D )

I notice that there seems to be several different places on the forum that members have put their projects / pics of their motor.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Is there a particular section to start a new thread on my car?  (hopefully arriving today, EXCITED !:D )

I notice that there seems to be several different places on the forum that members have put their projects / pics of their motor.

Starting off I would suggest the gallery >http://honda6.ipbhost.com/index.php?/forum/26-club-gallerys/ and if it needs work and warrants a project thread go ahead and start one as well ;)

Looking forward to seeing some pictures :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

There is also this Thread for when you have done incidental things not worthy of starting a new Thread:  

Looking forward to seeing your car on the Forum. :) Enjoy!

• Moderators

Its now half way through the afternoon,  well almost, taken it off work to see arrival of the mythical beast coupe. .... no idea where it is, transport company  not answering phone and seller not replying to texts. :angry:

Watched pot.

Do you think they have cleared off to the Cayman islands with my, err, substantial wedge.....? 

• Moderators

Yehaa !

Confirmed collected by seller and in transit right now, eta 5pm depending on traffic! Six hour journey  to mine.

Last entry here, new thread in gallery started.

Phew, have to go wring myself out now,was getting a touch concerned. 

• Like 1