Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

As for me, lately i've mainly just driven my Coupé although a couple of days ago the lower steel coolant pipe suddenly started urinating coolant over the floor. A friend has made me a replacement out of copper pipe so i need to paint it and find a couple of rubber lined "P" clips to mount it.

Definitely got CW syndrome :lol: also sorry to hear you've got a coolant leak, bit of copper pipe fabrication has saved my bacon a few times.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Washed it today,  first time for a while :lol: got more roadstone chips and anotther bloo%y car park dent on the rear left quarter.....doesn't matter how far away I park, from other cars, in ANY car park someone has to cosy up....:angry:

Still, looks better clean again, might just have a chance to do the box oil tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Moderators

After spending a lot of time and money restoring my Series III XJ6 4.2 Sovereign, i took my mum to Tescos in it and parked in a near empty car park. One row in front was a Mk3 Escrot in the slot so it could drive straight out if someone parked behind but not even in the same line of bays as i was.

I came back to a smashed headlamp because the congenital half-wit had REVERSED out of the space they could easily have driven out of and clobbered the headlamp, presumably with their bumper. :rolleyes::wacko::angry:

How do i know they had reversed out? They drove through a puddle and left the tracks on the tarmac!

Mixed emotions - sheer bloody rage that they had done it, incredulity at their stupidity reversing out of a slot they could have driven out of even easier and total disbelief that in an otherwise empty car park they did in fact manage to hit something!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Phew, its hot !!

Just thought I would crack the gearbox oil filler whilst the car was on the ground.... tried 17mm socket attached to extension bar with rachet on top... no chance... used bigger straight bar rather than rachet.... ermmm, still stuck tight !

Went and got a breaker bar (24"), repositoned it for a better pull and it still resisted for a second or two before it cracked open:).......

are they normally this tight? :( 

Now I am definitely sweating and not just from the heat! ..... wondering if I will be able to crack the drain plug whilst its balanced on jacks/axle stands..... are the drains tight too?

• Like 1

• Moderators

The drain plugs are usually pretty tight as well Pete simply because they don't get touched in "normal" ownership - i.e. "normal" owners who don't think that automatic gearboxes need any attention.

I'd suggest buying yourself a 3/8" square drain plug tool rather than trying a 3/8" ratchet on the drain plug for the first time of shifting. That way if the drain plug defeats the drain plug key/tool then the key/tool will fail rather than an expensive ratchet or similar. Also you can usually fit a socket on the end of the 2' breaker bar and put that over the drain plug tool for extra leverage.

To the best of my memory, my last Accord Coupé didn't have the extra filler plug on top and neither of my 827s have either. As such i can't say for certain if the fill plug on top of the box is normally tight but along the same theory as the drain plug - probably! ;):D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Phew, its hot !!

Just thought I would crack the gearbox oil filler whilst the car was on the ground.... tried 17mm socket attached to extension bar with rachet on top... no chance... used bigger straight bar rather than rachet.... ermmm, still stuck tight !

Went and got a breaker bar (24"), repositoned it for a better pull and it still resisted for a second or two before it cracked open:).......

are they normally this tight? :( 

Now I am definitely sweating and not just from the heat! ..... wondering if I will be able to crack the drain plug whilst its balanced on jacks/axle stands..... are the drains tight too?

Couldn't get mine open at all.... (Mainly because I didn't have the Tools you have).

So I just ended up filling it through the Dipstick Aperture. It all fitted perfectly without a drop spilled! :D

ZhoLrS6.jpg

NB. The Drain Plug by comparison was relatively easy... ;)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'd suggest buying yourself a 3/8" square drain plug tool rather than trying a 3/8" ratchet on the drain plug for the first time of shifting. That way if the drain plug defeats the drain plug key/tool then the key/tool will fail rather than an expensive ratchet or similar.

Thanks for the info, I used to have drain plug tools for the Volvos of the past, have to have a troll through the kits :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

So I just ended up filling it through the Dipstick Aperture. It all fitted perfectly without a drop spilled! :D

Excellent !  Well its cracked now but useful info to have in the knowledge bank :)

I know  a lot of people now use this method, dipstick, for engine oil extraction, not keen on this way to take oil out and have never subscribed to it but putting oil in I can go with , Cheers Bill.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PTR200S said:

Thanks for the info, I used to have drain plug tools for the Volvos of the past, have to have a troll through the kits :rolleyes:

I just used a 3/8 Breaker with a short Extension. Although the Breaker was overkill, the 3/8 Ratchet would have surficed. :)

• Moderators

Whilst debating on the next move re draining the gearoil I decided its too hot right now so had a sit down with a cool drink instead :P 10am and already 22C  ,,,, arrrgh.

Then I thought better open the sunroof on the Coupe to let some heat out.... realised that I have never used this, just checked it worked when i got the car.

Anyway, the good news is its perfect not a mark on the paint or any rust to be seen.:D just dirty around the aperture.

So cleaned it off and applied the appropriate treatment, wax to the metal and Shin_Etsu silicone grease to the rubber.

Also checked the oil, water, washer fluid too.... checked the gearbox dipstick too...:blink:

Coupe elec roof 1170617.JPG

Coupe elec roof 2170617.JPG

Coupe elec roof 3170617.JPG

Coupe elec roof 4170617.JPG

Coupe elec roof 5170617.JPG

• Like 2

I did the same with my Sunroof after I got it. But I just used my trusty White Grease - which I use on all the hinges, latches and locks. Once before Winter and again after.

I also do the usual checks but nothing is ever needed - not even air in the tyres!  I do intend to do one more, (4th) drain and fill of the ATF if it passes the MOT and then an Oil/Filter change at Winters start.

The one thing that I still have to do is the Cabin Filter - putting it off until the weather cools... :)

But you're right, it is a tad toasty....

• Administrators
4 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Excellent !  Well its cracked now but useful info to have in the knowledge bank :)

I know  a lot of people now use this method, dipstick, for engine oil extraction, not keen on this way to take oil out and have never subscribed to it but putting oil in I can go with , Cheers Bill.

No stopping me today thankfully it's reasonably cool under the car. :blink:

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just wondered if the car can be on ramps at the front whilst draining atf?

Does the drain sit on the side towards the rear of the box.? 

As it cools down tonight I want to crack the sump plug but I dont like swinging on bolts when cars are on jackstands so it will be on ramps.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PTR200S said:

Just wondered if the car can be on ramps at the front whilst draining atf?

Does the drain sit on the side towards the rear of the box.? 

The drain bolt is nearer the front facing out on the nearside and very little of the fluid inside the transmission & torque converter comes out anyway (2.4L) so doing it on ramps should be fine. I can usually drain out the fluid without jacking or using ramps, providing the bolt isn't too tight and my catch tray is low enough.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Right, atf change accomplished :D

Drain plug was a touch tight but a (the?!!) jerk on the other end of the bar soon had it off.

Drained out all that I could bearing in mind it was sat on the ramps at front only, you were right Stu, got 2.5 litres out , dead.

Cleaned off magnetic end on sump plug, black bits but not much, didnt forget to put it back :rolleyes: in.

Valvoline maxlife, 2.5 litres straight in through the filler cap hole, tightened.

Started it up, cycled the gears, bit lurchy intially then smoothed out, took it for a spin, all ok. I can't says its better than before as i only did a few miles but it was already smooth with no graunching or jumping on gear change.

I am treating it as preventative maintenance so will drop oil again in few months. 

Thanks for all the advice, peoples.B)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hmmm, new cabin filters then :P

Whats the orange feed in that plug? Not standard,,,,, is that a radio conn plug?

Like the wood surround on the heater console,is that standard or an add on? 

• Like 3