Subscriptions & Donations ×

What Have You Done To Your Coupe Today

Mangoman

• Founding Member
20 hours ago, hughezee said:

Not much to report just went out for spirited cruise with my buddy Retro Rich and the coupe ran effortlessly B)

I enjoyed it buddy! Flex runs like a dream! It was good having a nose at the Honda dealership too! Nothing on offer as good as our coupes ;)

• Like 2

• Moderators

Workshop today, well out front in the sunshine anywayB) took out the offside rear bulb, look to be original and with a flappy element inside... 

Each time I hit the light unit it comes back on so the flappy bit must have made contact.  Once removed from the car it wouldn't come on again :(

They appear to be 520 or T20? type bulbs, should I go led units? or just bung standard ones in?

Do led need to be canbus? The coupe is not canbus is it? 

Will get a pair and do both sides regardless of led or halogen

• Like 1

• Moderators

If you can find LED bulbs to do the job then go for it - red ones will work better as red light transmits better through a red lens and the colour appears richer with more "depth". It also improves the on/off contrast without the "pinky" tinge round the edge of a white light source, whether it's LED or filament bulb.

Had a look on here but can't find anything for the T20 size, however they may have something in the pipeline so give them a call and see :

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

It's a freephone number, they're helpful and knowledgeable so they may well know of something. ;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

While we are on the subject, do you know what bulb is fitted to the High Level Brake Light please?

Thanks. Bill. :)

If it's just the one bulb, it'll be 21W (or possibly 20W) Bill and maybe T20 size.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Mangoman said:

Hi Pete.

Personally I would most probably go Standard - but that's me.... :)

While we are on the subject, do you know what bulb is fitted to the High Level Brake Light please?

Thanks. Bill. :)

Cheers Bill, found these standards, look right 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112418877768?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Haven't had the HLB light out yet, mine is very bright so guessing 21w but not sure on fitting. Will try and have a look when I am in the boot... maybe someone else knows already so may get and answer anyway!

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

red ones will work better as red light transmits better through a red lens and the colour appears richer with more "depth". It also improves the on/off contrast without the "pinky" tinge round the edge of a white light source, whether it's LED or filament bulb.

That's interesting, would have never considered fitting red bulb to red lense for fear of it being to dark:huh:

Found these though, none of the suppliers seem to say that they are compatible with the coupe but ok with Accord Saloon... are they the same fitment?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162295298729?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

• Moderators

Funny thing is, the opposite is true. :D

They certainly look the same fitment, yes. The maximum power they take is 5W which would be the equivalent of the 21W filament bulb. However the important bit is that they put out about 500Lm at that power. A typical 21W filament bulb only has about 350Lm so these are brighter, not scarily so, they won't fail the MoT because they're too bright etc and unless you have a light meter you're unlikely to notice the difference unless you leave filament bulbs in the other side :

IMG_20160728_193943925.jpg

Filament bulbs in the left, LEDs in the right, note the pinky tinge on the left and the better "fill" of light on the right.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Laird_Scooby said:

They certainly look the same fitment, yes. The maximum power they take is 5W which would be the equivalent of the 21W filament bulb. However the important bit is that they put out about 500Lm at that power. A typical 21W filament bulb only has about 350Lm so these are brighter, not scarily so, they won't fail the MoT because they're too bright etc and unless you have a light meter you're unlikely to notice the difference unless you leave filament bulbs in the other side :

Thanks for that, just found these too, Osram (genuine!) although twice the price they look like little R2D2 :rolleyes:B)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-Premium-LED-W21-5W-T20-Red-Brake-Light-Bulbs-580-W3x16q-Wedge-3W-7915R-02B-/311867253362?hash=item489cbca272:g:FwgAAOSwlndZEaxE

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's a very poor photo, difficult to tell exactly how the LED chips are arranged on it. The thing to remember is that filament bulbs radiate light in all directions, to get the same from the LED replacement you need something like you found earlier which is similar to what i fitted.

Not sure R2D2 would work very well on 12V though :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks to Stu for pointing out the Tourer has the same tail light / brake bulb in it :D

My Tourer has just donated its bulb for the Coupe , need Coupe tonight and Tourer has a four tail light setup.:lol:

Keep me going until I get some more bulbs after the BH

• Like 2

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

It's a very poor photo, difficult to tell exactly how the LED chips are arranged on it. The thing to remember is that filament bulbs radiate light in all directions, to get the same from the LED replacement you need something like you found earlier which is similar to what i fitted.

Not sure R2D2 would work very well on 12V though :lol:

Hmm, good point re the chip arrangement...might just go the standard route, bit concerned about the size of the "glass bulb" on the Led too ,,,, been here before and not been able to fit the actual bulb head through the fitting aperture :angry:

• Like 2

• Administrators

What Pete said, although I have been impressed with the output I still feel I've wasted too much money on LED's just to keep going back to consistently operating standard bulbs and have had the same problem of decent quality LED's just not fitting correctly into the housing as well.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Ordered a couple of standard bulbs for now, at £2.49 delivered I am not going to argue with that...:P

LED still on the cards but I think I would want to ensure they fit before I buy... necessitates a phonecall to the suppliers, I think.:huh:

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hughezee said:

I still feel I've wasted too much money on LED's just to keep going back to consistently operating standard bulbs

Agree fully with that, although I have to say I have managed to use up most of my oddball led stuff in other peoples cars, not necessarily the type of car they were bought for!

I feel sometimes I am spending on stuff I don't really need :lol::rolleyes::P

• Like 2

• Moderators

Any supplier worth their salt should have dimensions Pete, here's the dims for the T20 :

501249.jpg

As long as the LED replacement fits within that then you'll be fine for fitting it in the car. You may even be fine with slightly larger. ;):D

• Like 2

• Moderators

No problem! ;):D

t was a simple Yahoo search, i just searched for "T20" and then clicked "images" and scrolled through until i found the one with the dimensions on it. Daresay you'd get similar from Gaggle or Goggle or whatever it's called! :lol:;):D

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/29/2017 at 5:54 PM, Laird_Scooby said:

Any supplier worth their salt should have dimensions Pete, here's the dims for the T20 :

501249.jpg

As long as the LED replacement fits within that then you'll be fine for fitting it in the car. You may even be fine with slightly larger. ;):D

Not going to bother with led, all seem to be around 60mm long and at least 20mm wide, trawled loads of stuff some with sizes, some without:rolleyes: some say need resistors, some not..................

lost the will to live now, so staying with standard for sure :P

• Like 2