Subscriptions & Donations ×

Project Odd Bod Honda Odyssey RA6 2.3 LEV

hughezee

• Administrators

Welcome to project odd bod, apparently the new family motor :o^_^ firstly you maybe thinking what the hell am I playing at replacing my sublime super silky smooth shuttle with a junker by comparison. Well I was very very reluctant, to say the least as the shuttle is fantastic and super rare low mileage motor and would happily drive to the moon and back without missing a beat. However, once odd bod rolled up on the drive the family fell in love with its extra features and leather trim and more modern appearance and an extra seat for the pooch. Also not forgetting the fancy table with those damn cup holders :huh::o-_- Well I explained it needed work but nobody really listened, so I was outnumbered.but it is a really nice motor in need of some TLC.

IMG-20161016-145907.jpgIMG-20161016-145927.jpg

Those interested our current shuttle/ Odyssey we have is a RA3 Japanese built and is what’s classed a MK1 and the RA6 we’ve just acquired is revised version aka MK2. More information > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey_(international)

IMG-20161016-150024.jpgIMG-20161016-150136.jpg

Anyway back to the project and its long and expensive to-do list if I’m ever going to get running like the shuttle as this one came with a free engine management light...So whilst the light remains off at the moment, the cost to keep it off is £460.00 using all OEM parts, thank you, Honda, for fitting the same F23Z4 LEV engine to the USA Accord. Also a timing belt & water pump is just as essential and it will be one of the first jobs, but haven't priced that up yet :blink: The transmission seems to be just fine but needs attention fluid wise so I will stick some of the dreaded DW1 in there to help revive things and use either ATF-U or Maxlife for my conjugal maintenance :lol:

The air conditioning is a tricky one as the compressor is unique to the MK2-MK3 models and I was thinking of an MK1 modification to accommodate the older version of the compressor which is more readily available at lower cost. However, sine the old unit was binned with the coupling plate it's more economical just replace like for like unit. I have found a replacement re-manufactured Denso unit for £325 with a good warranty period :D Nevertheless not knowing what exactly happened to the old unit e.g internal or external failure flushing the system is the only way to be sure I’m not going to toast my replacement unit in five minutes :o

IMG-20161016-150116.jpgIMG-20161016-150041.jpg

Almost forgot the Rear N.S window regulator needs replacing for an eye watering £160 from Honda with a discount, see the peg mod holding the window up. :lol::rolleyes: I’ve already purchased a driver’s door lock actuator for a more reasonable £27.55 for a pair from eBay.com  as the existing one is dead. :rolleyes: the bonnet cable is a little stretched but that can wait :lol:

Finally the wish list, which is just a expensive ^_^ basically find & refit a fold down DVD player and install a double did radio and hook up the reversing camera and might get the front and rear bumper repainted to finish off as the rest of the car is very tidy overall and I am starting to like the alloys on it so they can stay.

So what do you think peeps

• Like 2

• Moderators

The wheels definitely need to stay Stu - they really suit it. Odd list of faults, almost as if it's just been driven and all faults ignored until something serious (e.g. engine light) appeared then they decided to junk the car. Someone saw the potential, picked it up for peanuts and sold it on - this is where you come in! Obviously you got it at a "sensible price" but with the work that needs doing i daresay once that is added to the original price it wouldn't be that much different to buying it with no faults present and the work done such as water pump/timing belt etc.

I suspect the A/C compressor was removed my some well-meaning but mechanically bankrupt individual who thought he could fix it or that he would get a million more mpg by removing it or it was blamed for another fault nothing to do with the compressor or evaporator like my Volvo. You may well get away with fitting a direct replacement compressor/cradle assembly from a breaker if you can find one and no other work except the reciever-dryer.

Reckon you've got yourself a bargain though and for someone who doesn't normally like "people-containers", i wouldn't mind one like that myself! ;):D

• Like 2

• Founding Member

It is indeed a lovely, dare I say, more modern looking chariot.  I never thought in a million years you would ever get rid of the shuttle though.  Have you sold it on or part-ex'd it for 'Odd Bod'?  The seats look very Accord Coupe..ish, same colour as Purple Haze's?

I love the gadgets so looking forward to your flip up screen and reversing camera installation.  Nice.  ;)

• Like 3

• Moderators

It does look more modern Geoff, i agree but thankfully without losing character or driveway appeal. I think Stu mentioned somewhere his dad is having the Shuttle?

Given how much space is in there, this could be "Gadget City on wheels"! Look forward to that! ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That's what budgets are for Stu! ;):D Next time i go to my local breakers yard i'll have a look and see what they have in there for you. Might have a bit more luck with that.....

Thanks for the extra pair of eyes on possible spares, just for reference the shuttle RA1-RA5 spares are in abundance compared with JDM exclusive RA6 and you would think my shuttles F23Z7 engine parts would be interchangeable with the F23Z4 LEV engine in the odyssey, but they have a different Air Control Valve, EGR valve, Lambda's which are some of the bits I need as well :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Moderators

I would hazard a guess the Lambda sensors themselves are the same but have a slightly different pin-out in the plug and/or a different plug. We both know manufacturers use these ploys to sell spares with an increased mark-up just for a different plug. ;):D I'm sure you could swap the pins round in a plug or swap the plug housing from one to another, it's just finding that bit of essential information as to what pin does what.

Similar goes for the air control and EGR valves, just a case of finding out which one uses the same basic animal of each and working round it. In the meantime, can you not fettle the existing valves so they work as they should?

I'll still keep an eye out and you're very welcome for that, given the rarity of the exact parts though it might pay to look at what other vehicles use them although i expect you've probably already looked at that. :blush:;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

Despite this being an exclusive model for Japan the engine was offered in the 2.3 accord coupe and sedan in USA so I've managed to source some expensive parts cheaper and I've crossed references so many parts its clear they are different parts. I have even been comparing with the shuttle side by side just to feed the interest despite knowing the LEV engine has different way of taking readings from the lambdas so they need to be OEM, I've seen plenty of people fitting generics and they crap out very quickly even done it myself a few years ago ;) Basically this car has the same faults a project emerald did and you would never believe it :rolleyes: the earth has been severed at some point so this may have damaged the sensitive components.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Glad you spotted where i was going and the resons for it, like i said i expect you'd already done that! ;):D Shame they're so sensitive, bugger about that earth though! :angry: You might be lucky and find simply repairing that sorts its maladies, if not then i think it's pay up and look big - or poor! ;):D

• Like 2

• Administrators

My older shuttle was a F23A7 VTEC engine same a the current one I have which is similar to the base block F23A1. In regards the new odyssey project which has a F23Z4 engine which is labelled as the F23A4 for the 1998-2002 California model accord. Both the F23Z4 & F23A4 are certified low emission engines with a slight reduction of power to:148 hp 150lb ft torque, the engine a more restrictive intake manifold and cylinder head, and a 32-bit ECU that uses an AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) oxygen sensor when compared to F23A series in general.;)

With a little input from Wiki hope that answers you questions mate ;)

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Nice but  a surprising purchase. Love the interior and just like Geoff said I also thought it's very similar to mine.

The only Odd Bod I remember is the Frankenstein wanna be from Carry On Screaming.....Classic film!

• Like 2

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Cryistic said:

Nice looking car Stu.

Can you change the restrictive throttle body to liberate a little more power or the restrictions on the head the major issue?

Thanks Richie, I would have liked the RA9 version which has the V6 lump 230bhp with Honda S-matic (5 speed auto/triptonic) ;) that should answer your question as well :lol:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Project update, I found an alarming amount of oil under the car and spotted the VTEC solenoid gasket was leaking oil a new gasket should sort that out.🙄

Almost forgot to mention :wacko::huh::blush::blink: I will be swapping the leather seats out for standard ones and then putting it up for sale?????????????

• Like 1

• Moderators

Got mixed feelings about changing the leather interior for a cloth one Stu, first obvious point is you could devalue the car considerably and secondly, leather is easier to keep clean with dogs and sprogs in and out of it.

Even if you put seat covers or even a throw over the seats to keep them cleaner to start with, leather will still be easier to keep clean.

Am i right in thinking you're putting the leather interior up for sale or the car???????????? :huh:

• Like 1

• Administrators

I’ve been really impatient lately and my fear of facing higher expense or even possibly a new imported engine (hindsight is a wonderful thing) and there’s not enough hours in the day as it is atm :mellow: So I’ve just left a deposit on another odyssey RA6 it’s the less desirable L model with the velour interior :lol: no sunroof though but it has the night hawk black exterior with rear matching tints, front fog lights and most importantly a fully working duel climate control air conditioning system or so I’m told. So this time it’s not just got the family approval, I would be happier with it as well / especially with the extra toys & trim level transferred over (Leather seats).:D

• Like 1

• Moderators

That all makes more sense except maybe the allegedly working dual climate control. That's just my cynicism about the climate after my experience with the Volvo. If i can find another evaporator and someone to recharge the system with R12 i might have a fighting chance of getting the climate working properly now i've fixed the air direction solenoid pack.Just hope you're not going in to a similar situation.

Swapping the leather etc into the new one is a good idea though and worth doing for whatever you'll drop on the price of this one. ;):D

• Like 1

• Administrators

I felt so alone on this one buddy and spent to long time researching the worse case scenario and the figures stacked against me at every turn :mellow: so I just decided to make a decision and I was lucky to find a suitable car within the remaining budget, so will be collecting it this coming Saturday :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Well, I've made some progress over the last week, changed the ATF and I didn't have the bottle to use DW1 or was it I just didn't have a bottle or maybe both ??? :lol: so ATF-U went in there instead and feels much smoother shuttling through the gears... Also flushed the cooling system, recycling my old radiator from the other Odyssey as the new one fitted was the wrong part entirely and bodged, the fans were hanging off it :o

IMG-20161212-152901.jpg

I've even managed to replace the window regulator on the rear N.S and what should have been a simple job turned into a right faff, with the mechanism being jammed and it definitely wasn't worth repairing for spares and the weather didn't help matters either ^_^

Also sorry for lack of pictures it was raining, that fine stuff that soaks you right through.:wacko:

• Like 1