Subscriptions & Donations ×

Hello all £12000 spend on my accord v6

dave

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Brett said:

Accords just love oil changes imo

I might even change mine to every 3k from now.

Great to hear your joining the 3k club buddy, well worth it if you want to keep it a long time ;)

Just now, Brett said:

Iv always said if your oil is changed regularly it works out the same for new oil as the extra in petrol you save.

Mine and Retro Rich's motors are living proof of that buddy :D

• Like 3

• Founding Member
6 minutes ago, hughezee said:

Great to hear your joining the 3k club buddy, well worth it if you want to keep it a long time ;)

Mine and Retro Rich's motors are living proof of that buddy :D

Very true Rich was telling me that when he done my oil change about the 3k changed on his coup

• Like 2

• Moderators

I go on 6 months or 3k miles, whichever is sooner. That way if i do less than 3k miles in 6 months, the oil still gets changed before it starts to go off. I'm rewarded with good economy and quiet engines with no worries come MoT time on the emissions! ;):D

• Like 3

Will monitor things with the recent changes.Reckon you lot ought to work for Honda.lol.They have an ethics code and a moral duty of care to there customers before condemning your car.

So have Honda put the wrong ATF in the box ?Its a bit late for me to be looking for the receipt just now.

Cheers. ?

I can insert a smiley now in spite of being close to my dotage.Still can't suss out your cars though.?

One last question.Can I put a video on here ?

Thank-you.

• Moderators

When did Honda do the ATF change in yours Tony? If it was fairly recent there's a fair chance they put DW-1 in it which can fry the torque converters. To be honest it might pay to give Stu a call on this, it could well be linked to the poor economy. The thing is Honda almost certainly won't admit to using the wrong fluid - it's a long complicated situation but your box should be redeemable with a bit of TLC either directly from Stu or by you following his advice. Each car is a little different and as you're closer to him in terms of distance than you are to me, it might pay for you to speak directly to him and possibly take him for a spin or let him drive it to assess if there is a problem brewing.

I could of course be going over the top here but it's better to err on the side of caution on things like this. ;):D

Videos can be uploaded, yes, normally whoever is reading the thread with them in has to click to play them. I'm sure there's a "How to" somewhere on pics and videos, i'll try to find it for you.

• Like 2

• Moderators

That sounds like a top up rather than an ATF change. Can't remember the quantity for the Accord V6 but mine is 3.2L drain and refill, 6.6L from dry, something in the back of my mind says 3.6L for yours on a drain/refill so maybe 7L for a full "dry" change. Emptying the torque converter and all the lines etc within the transmission isn't usually possible without a full strip-down which isn't feasible so they may have flush-changed it with either 7L or possibly 10L - the cost of the fluid will be a good clue. I think one litre of DW-1 is about £12 from Honda so maybe you can double-check it from there?

If it's only had a 1L top-up in all those miles then it's seriously overdue a change. Normally it's done every 24k, doing the part-changes usually works out about the same though.

• Administrators

The majority of Honda Automatic transmissions in 1994-2003 age range basically all the 4 speeds will only drain 2.2-2.4L of fluid when removing the drain bolt, but they can hold up to 6-8L of fluid, which is retained in the valve body and torque converter. So the amount of fluid they used doesn't even equal a top-up, because if was that low to need a 1L bottle I would more concerned where that fluid is going :unsure: but maybe I'm over thinking and its very likely just a top-up but even then I've never had to top-up ATF unless there's a leak or was under filled on previous fluid change. :huh::mellow::blink::rolleyes:

I just hope they didn't just chuck a bottle in for luck as overfilling can be very bad for the transmission :o also how much did they charge for 1L :huh:

• Like 1