Subscriptions & Donations ×

New coupe owner

Nigy

• Administrators

Firstly I would highly recommend changing the PVC valve (if its still using oil) and Transmission fluid (unless it been changed recently) Yes we have been following this coupe the last few months being sold by various people which did or didn't disclose certain niggles they had, Secondly a big welcome to the club, Thirdly what a cracking looking motor :D :D :D :D :D

• Founding Member

Welcome Welcome Welcome Nigy to the bestest Honda coupe forum on the web.  We're all a friendly bunch and we all own Honda's, mainly coupes or Honda engined Rover's.  ;)

I must say, your coupe is a beautiful colour and is exactly the same colour and year as my new coupe that I will hopefully be collecting from Stu in a week or two.  Aubergine, isn't it?

Hi glad you like it its running fine and doesnt use any oil, the gearbox was a bit clunky on kick down but a fluid change on the autobox resolved this. It cost me £500 less a few hundred for a little civic i traded so it stands me at £300 plus £100 for the fluid change and an oil and filter change. Shes running like a dream. Yes its Aubergine Pearl met. I bought a touch up stick to do the stone chips etc. Its only had 2 owners from new and both in the same family. Best car ive ever had. :D thanks for the welcome chaps.

17429713922_ecff01457a_z.jpg

17431315361_1e4b5c785b_z.jpg

16811434033_e2433c57da_z.jpg

• Like 1

thanks :)  it seems from the history i got with the car it had quiet a bit of money spent on suspension work and various bits and bobs last MOT can't believe i got it for £500 had it all checked out at a local garage renotech very good lads who gave it a clean bill of health saying it was now fit for a nice cruise to Moscow and back  :D

• Like 1

• Founding Member

thanks :)  it seems from the history i got with the car it had quiet a bit of money spent on suspension work and various bits and bobs last MOT can't believe i got it for £500 had it all checked out at a local garage renotech very good lads who gave it a clean bill of health saying it was now fit for a nice cruise to Moscow and back  :D

Brilliant.  Don't know about driving to Moscow and back but hopefully in the summer (when the weather's better) we can all meet up and go for a nice drive somewhere.  :)

As a bit of background this is the little coupe which introduced me to Honda a 1700 vtec ltd edition from 2002 automatic which i paid £600 for with 130k on the clock i exchanged it for the big coupe plus a couple of hundred it was a great little runner but i much prefer my new one :) which is also much better body wise as the little one had some rust in the rear arches, but was mechanically spot on.

17858795821_5b6bb60446_z.jpg

17670769260_6c9de0f82c_z.jpg

thanks yes the colour really attracted me i think i sort of rescued the car really as it was languishing in the autotrader at a garage in Walsall who just seemed to want shut of it, it seems it sold on ebay in January to a guy in Telford for £800. The original owners had it for sale shortly after putting it through its MOT in September 2014 and i think it failed to sell. They then appear to have re-located to Conwy area of North Wales. Where they bought the car from when new and put it up for sale again which is when it sold in Jan 2015. I assume the guy in Telford must have sold it to the dealer in Walsall, who was a sort of quasi classic car enthusiast with a small lock up and a scattering of cars (proper Arthur Daley style). This dealer told me they had given £500 for the car and just wanted their money back. 

I think some where along the line various owners including probably the Walsall dealer must have thought the automatic gear box was on its way out (because of the jerky up changes). When i drove the car home the 100 miles or so this was apparent especially on kick down. However it was obvious that the box was basically in good health as pick up was fine with no loss of drive in any gear and no thumps when going from park to neutral to reverse etc. Also it was obvious on checking the fluid it was old and burnt.

So i bought 3 litres of the correct oil from honda and had it changed so for the princely sum of £30 or so plus £40 labour i now have a smooth changing auto box again. Indeed there was a marked improvement immediately and after several long runs the box smoothed out more and more as the new oil burned its way in lubricating the valves etc.

2 weeks after the fluid change the up changes are almost imperceptible on normal throttle and nice and eager on kick down :)    

• Administrators

There are known compatibility issues with Honda's most current ATF-DW1 on older transmissions namely the torque converter fails to lockup correctly and wears and generates allot of heat which will kill the gearbox prematurely, but it does work wonders with erratic or jerky boxes but so do most off the shelf lower viscosity fluids to be fare e.g Dexron 6. :huh: So if you ever see black particles mixed in the fluid in the future the torque converter friction plate is wearing,and I would strongly recommend using a different fluid. eg Dexron 2 or 3 or a Honda Z1 compatible fluid ^_^

In addition if you see grey material its the gearbox clutches which wear out anyway over time, so when checking the AT fluid level and wiping with light paper towel, should you see a tiny grey sludge build up on the side of the transmission dipstick this is normal and should be a very small amount ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...