Subscriptions & Donations ×

New 1996 Legend owner

SteveThackery

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say "Hello" because I've just bought a 1996 Legend (3rd generation) and was recommended to join by Stuart, the Honda Man.

I've had all sorts of cars in the past, and definitely have a "thing" for luxurious cars.  Recently I owned a Jaguar XJ8, and also a Rover 75 (which I regret buying, to be honest).  Prior to this Legend I owned a Honda Civic Coupe 1.7, which I admired for its build quality and total reliability.  Unfortunately I found the black and grey plastic interior to be very uninspiring.

The Legend is lovely - unbelievably refined - and already I'm an enthusiast.  I'm slightly nervous because I bought it knowing it had a slightly jerky 1st-to-2nd gearchange, betting on the odds that I (or Stuart) could repair it fairly easily.  (I've started a separate thread about that.)  Apart from the gearchange it drives like a new car.

Hey, it's had one owner from new, who has owned it for 19 years!  Furthermore, I'm told he traded it for a newer Legend.  I guess he was pleased with this one, or possibly he lacks imagination   ;)   I'm sure it's the former!

I'm a mature student, living in Nottingham, doing a degree in Motorcycle Engineering at Derby Uni, so of course I'm "financially challenged" at the moment, hence buying a Honda in the expectation it will be reliable.  The degree has a big overlap with automotive engineering in general, so I think it'll be very useful.

I hope to be able to make the occasional useful contribution.

Best wishes,

Steve

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Hello Steve and WELCOME to the best Honda Enthusiast forum on the wibbly wobbly web.  We're all a friendly bunch on here and we all have Honda's (Accords, Coupes, 6th, 7th and 8th gen) or Honda engined Rover Sterlings.  The Legend is a lovely motor, I have always liked them and personally my last five cars have been Honda's....I've had three 6th gen Accords and two coupes, one was a blue 2.0ES and The Purple Pimpernel, which is the V6 which I'm picking up from Stu very soon. :D

Welcome Again.  :)

• Like 2

Thanks, guys.  I don't have any pictures just yet because the car went back the very day after I bought it!

It's all very odd.  I got it home and saw that there were specks all over the instrument glasses - some kind of aerosol polish, I think.  So I set about cleaning them with a wet-wipe and discovered that there was a piece of black insulation tape on one of the glasses.  I peeled it off and found that it was obscuring the ABS warning light.  After starting the car the ABS unit makes regular, but brief, buzzing noises for about five minutes.  Then the ABS light comes on and the buzzing stops.  When I road tested the car I noticed the buzzing, but assumed it was some oddity with the climate control.

The dealer was genuinely surprised and told me to bring the car back immediately so it could be fixed.  So right now I'm driving around in a Smart car instead!

• Founding Member

Blimey, the Smart car is a smidge smaller than the Legend!  The first time I saw one of those was in Germany, I had to do a double take as it was parked head-on facing the kerb as opposed to being normally parked.

I'm no MOT expert but wouldn't it have failed the MOT with an ABS light on?

In any event, hopefully the seller will fix the cause and not just remove the bulb in the instrument cluster like someone I know.  :ph34r:

TypeVGeoff: I was amazed by how unrefined the Smart car is.  Yes, it's incredibly compact on the outside and roomy on the inside, but the engine noise was a big surprise, along with road noise as the speed picks up.  Although I knew it was a petrol engine, it was so crude-sounding my subconscious must have clocked it as a diesel, because I absent-mindedly tried to fill it from a diesel pump.  Thank goodness the nozzle doesn't fit.

It's an automatic and uses the modern 'robotic' type, rather than the slush-box as used on my Legend.  I've experienced these boxes in other cars and been very impressed, but this one isn't so good.  The most noticeable thing is how slow the gearchanges are.  You accelerate away, then suddenly all the power disappears for a good second-and-a-half, and then comes back again.  I guess you could get used to it, but it feels strange.

There is a lot of body roll, too, so you can't really press on.

For some people the tiny size must be a big attraction.  After all, I drive a big car with just me in it almost all the time, and it's a once-a-year event to use the back seats.  Very wasteful, really.

The car already had a longish MOT so the dealer hadn't MOT'd it again.  However, my understanding is that it won't pass with the ABS light lit.  Presumably the MOT station just didn't notice.

• Founding Member

From sounds of it a deliberate bodge Geoff, least somebody took your bulb out on your old silver accord  :angry:  but painting the meter lens to mask the tape that's a new one :lol:

I does indeed Stu, at least on my silver Accord you could tell there was no bulb.  :lol: Fair play for effort and originality, painting the lens probably took more effort and time than actually fixing the cause?  Dear oh dear.  :rolleyes:

• Founding Member

You're like me Steve, when you're 6'2" and 17 stone, small cars just don't cut it.  I like big cars - I've always had them - as I feel safer in the unfortunate event of a prang.  These Smart cars would probably disintegrate if you so much as clipped the wing mirror!  :lol:

Hey, TypeVGeoff, on that subject did you see that amazing experiment they did on a Smart car?  It was 5th Gear.  I, like you, feared that the Smart might be rather fragile.  I was very wrong.

They set this Smart car up with remote control and drove it at 70mph head on into a solid concrete block.  It was amazing to see - the impact was just awesome.  It hit the block at a slight angle (deliberate, I think) so it slewed sideways before coming to a halt.

Astonishingly, although the front was completely flat the passenger compartment was still intact and would not have damaged the occupants or trapped any limbs.  Both doors opened, and one even opened and shut normally!  The scientist performing the demonstration said that they'd still be dead anyway; this was not a survivable accident because the deceleration force was far higher than a human could withstand.  But at least the passenger compartment would maintain its integrity.

This demonstration mightily impressed me, and now you can be impressed, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnI-LiKCtuE  

I suggest you watch from 4m 30s onwards.

• Founding Member

Interesting, I will have a look later tonight as I'm at work at the moment.  :ph34r:

I suppose though it's reassuring to know that in the event of a 70mph head-on crash in a Smart car, although you would be deceased, the passenger compartment would still be intact.  :lol:

Noooo, give me a large, sturdy car every time!  ;)

• Like 1

Welcome along Steve the legend is a cracking car and hope you get the abs light sorted.

Thanks, Geoff.  I've no idea how long it will take the dealer - they aren't keeping me up to date unless I ring and ask.  They did mention the possibility that the car might have to be scrapped if it turns out too expensive.  From what I've read, though, you can get reconditioned ABS units which must, surely, be economically viable for them.  After all, I did pay two grand for the car.

Blimey. I'd get the car back and speak to Stu. The again. If they refund your money you could invest in a coupe?

Both good points, mate.  To be honest, I paid top dollar because the car has only 85k on it, has had the same owner for 19 years (from new), has a full service history and is close to mint throughout.  If I'd known about the ABS light I would still have considered it, but for a lot less money.  I'll see what the dealer offers, first, and then make a decision.  In many ways it would be a shame to lose it.  As you know, looking through Autotrader proves the point: Legends in that price range are as rare as rocking horse shit so it might be quite a wait before another comes up.

As for buying a coupe instead.  Well......  the thing is, I just love big, luxurious cars with leather and walnut interiors and a super-refined driving experience.  My last decent car was a Jag XJ8, which I loved but was terrified of shock repair bills coming up because they certainly don't have the build quality of a Honda.  But still a fabulous car.

Which coupe did you have in mind, TypeVGeoff?  The Civic or the Accord?  I'm not familiar with the Accord, but I imagine both are basically sporty cars, rather than having an emphasis on luxury and refinement?  Correct me if I'm wrong!

One or two legends are up for parts on eBay, likely just a sensor  ;) although I would happily take a look for free m8y, I have an Honda/Acura scanner :)

That's a great offer - thanks, Stu.  I'll see what the situation is when I hear from the dealer.  If I get to keep the car, I'll be interested in that quote you are doing for me for replacing the camshaft and balance shaft belts.

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Both good points, mate.  To be honest, I paid top dollar because the car has only 85k on it, has had the same owner for 19 years (from new), has a full service history and is close to mint throughout.  If I'd known about the ABS light I would still have considered it, but for a lot less money.  I'll see what the dealer offers, first, and then make a decision.  In many ways it would be a shame to lose it.  As you know, looking through Autotrader proves the point: Legends in that price range are as rare as rocking horse shit so it might be quite a wait before another comes up.

As for buying a coupe instead.  Well......  the thing is, I just love big, luxurious cars with leather and walnut interiors and a super-refined driving experience.  My last decent car was a Jag XJ8, which I loved but was terrified of shock repair bills coming up because they certainly don't have the build quality of a Honda.  But still a fabulous car.

Which coupe did you have in mind, TypeVGeoff?  The Civic or the Accord?  I'm not familiar with the Accord, but I imagine both are basically sporty cars, rather than having an emphasis on luxury and refinement?  Correct me if I'm wrong!

I know exactly where you're coming from Steve, I too prefer large, luxurious cars (Rover Sterling/Nissan QX, etc.).  I would highly recommend the Accord coupe, which comes in 2.0ES and 3.0 V6 versions.  I used to have a 2.0ES and I loved it, I am soon to collect the V6 version from Stu.  Take a look around the forum and you will see lots of pics, both are luxurious (leather, real plastic wood trim, electric everything) and both are rare and of course made in USA so the build quality is undoubted.  Yes, they're a coupe but they can easily seat 4 people, there's loads of room in the rear and the seating position is very comfy.  Performance-wise, the 2.0ES is around 150 BHP and the V6 is around 200 BHP as with all Honda's, so long are they are maintained etc. then they will run forever.  My Accord Type V has 152,000 miles and runs like a Swiss watch although I do like to change my oil every three months or so.  No-one touches my cars mechanically except Stu.

So you get the best of both worlds, luxury, refinement, performance and rarity, of course.  You really can't go wrong.  ;)

Well, the dealer rang to say they've found a reconditioned ABS unit, so maybe by the weekend I'll be able to pick it up.

TypeVGeoff - you've definitely piqued my interest in the posh V6 Accord Coupe.  I like to change my car fairly often, so it will definitely go on my list.

Stu's in Burton on Trent, isn't he?  Do you live anywhere near there?  I'm in Nottingham.

• Like 1