Subscriptions & Donations ×

New 1996 Legend owner

SteveThackery

• Founding Member

Agreed, I'm no transmission expert but I would presume that driving in rush hour/stop start traffic for say 3 miles is as harmful to the transmission as bombing around doing 100mph all day?  I suspect a mixture of driving, stop/start, motorway, reversing etc. preserves the gearbox.

As you don't know the history of your Legend especially, then as well as the cambelt and ABS, I would definitely change the ATF fluid, the oil, coolant and the power steering fluid, just for peace of mind really.  Might pay to change the brake fluid too, again, just for peace of mind knowing they're all done.

Stu is correct, ATF can be watery, my fluid is a nice pinky colour with no bits in it and yes, it is quite watery too.  My transmission has done a respectable 152,000 and is in tip-top condition, pulls like a train and no slippage and I'm certain it's because of regular fluid changes.  ;)  

• Like 1

• Moderators

The coolant is a definite and i'd also go for a new 'stat as well - the gearbox ECU relies on a temperature signal from the engine to enable torque converter lock up. The standard 'stat is 78C and i believe the minimum temperature for TC lock up is 76C or thereabouts. A weak 'stat will not let the engine reach this so TC lock up doesn't happen with the inevitable increase in fuel consumption and chasing your tail for a "transmission" fault. I've fitted the 88C 'stat to both of mine from the 216/416 (90-96) and Civic/Concerto models. It is in fact a dealer upgrade that not many people know about and IMHO worth it's weight in gold.

I would suggest flushing the system first, preferably with a proprietary flushing agent and a reverse flush as well - it's amazing how much silt, dirt and other debris comes out of an apparently clean system! In addition to improving the cooling system, this will improve your heater too, over and above what the hotter 'stat does for it. Also the hotter 'stat pays dividends in fuel economy too as it moves the volumetric efficiency of the engine up a bit.

As for all the other fluids, as Geoff says it's well worthwhile doing those too and also the oil in the rear diff if yours is AWD which i think it is.

• Moderators

You're very welcome Steve. ;):D  The hotter 'stat is a very useful improvement, wouldn't go back to the 78C 'stat now if you paid me! Can't for the life of me fathom why they deemed the UK climate hot enough to warrant fitting the lower temperature 'stat as standard which is probably why they offered the dealer upgrade to the 88C version.

I honestly wasn't sure when the AWD Legend appeared Steve, i've seen 1996 cars advertised with it but not entirely sure the sellers knew what they were on about! ;):lol:

• Founding Member

Thanks for all these tips, guys!  I really appreciate it.  The hotter 'stat sounds a great idea, as does a flush of the cooling system.

Laird_Scooby: mine isn't the AWD model, which I believe arrived with the 4th gen in 2004.

Dave really is a mine of information Steve.  ;)   That's what makes this a great forum, we're all friendly, likeminded, all love Honda's and Honda engined cars plus there are loads of great tips, help and information.  Happy Days.  B)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...