Subscriptions & Donations ×

Paint For Exhaust System "YOUR THOUGHTS"

hughezee

• Administrators

Well as my new exhaust parts for the V6 are arriving, obviously I’m looking to protect my investment and I’ve seen a few genuine Honda exhausts painted in a matt VHT paint. Also I’ve already painted one of my former accord exhausts and inside and out and it still looks new 7 years later :) so I was wondering what products you would think would be suitable, maybe a new revolutionary product is out there that my radar has missed ;)

Thanks in advance 

• Moderators

Hmm, good question Stu!

First part of my answer is don't paint it black, paint it white, silver, gold or similar to minimise the radiated heat from it. Second is get some of that thermal-wrap stuff and wrap it round the manifolds and downpipes. This has a variety of effects including reducing underbonnet temperatures, insulating the sump from the heat in the front bank downpipe (prolongs the life of the oil), increases the heat contained in the exhaust resulting in a faster cat warm up time (better economy/cleaner emissions) and more heat through the rest of the system to dry out moisture and prolong the life of the system.

Also on turbocharged vehicles (Jim take note!), it's improves the thermal expansion of the exhaust gases which spins the turbo up faster.

Or the simple answer is use either UHT or VHT silver paint and inspect/re-apply at regular intervals.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

It's commonly known as Thernal Exhaust wrap or Exhaust Heat Wrap Edwin :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xthermal+exhaust+wrap.TRS0&_nkw=thermal+exhaust+wrap&ghostText=&_sacat=0

I don't think i'd paint a stainless exhaust but i would be tempted to wrap ir, especially in the area where the front pipe passes under the sump. I know someone who did this and he reported his oil changes were now extended and it still came out cleaner. There was no point asking if it improved his economy as he always "drove it like he stole it" so was lucky to get 25-28mpg on a long run.

There's a thing about good, cheap back boxes - they don't really exist. You might, if you're very lucky, get a good back box cheap if you can find a good condition second hand one.

That said, if you go for a universal back box that is as close as possible to the dimensions of the original back box (or back boxes, if you'rs is a V6 it probably has one back box each side, if not it probably has one on the drivers side with twin tailpipes) then you should end up with a reasonably good solution fairly cheaply that will do the job and not sound like a refugee from Santa Pod. Here's a few to choose from on ebay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Mufflers-Silencers-/61485/i.html?_nkw=universal+back+box

You could of course try MIJ Exhaust :

http://www.mijexhaust.com/honda-exhaust-system-stainless-steel-exhaust.html

http://mijexhaust.com/images/stories/igallery/h9/lightbox/MIJ%20Honda%20Accord%20Stainless%20Steel%20Exhaust%202.JPG

If that pic link works, you should see their Accord coupe V6 exhaust.

Alternatively, OBX exhausts are nice - prices in US Dollars ($) so will be cheaper in GB Pounds (£) :

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1851

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1094

If you're going to keep the car a long time, i'd say go for the OBX. If you only plan on keeping it a few years, go for the MIJ system. If you just need something to see you through for as long as it lasts, go for one of the universal things. You pays your money and takes your choice really. At the current exchange rate, multiply $ x 0.666666 to get the price in £ so $300 is about £200.

Hope some of that is helpful for you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I went for a silver VHT in the end, progress so far

attachicon.gifPhoto02441.jpg

Looks pretty good after a good degrease.& painted B)

Looks scarily like a climbing frame for the kids!!! If you find it mysteriously won't fit after Stu, check if your kids have been monkeying off it! ;):lol:

Does look good though!

• Like 1

• Administrators

My kids love the V6 (FLEX) and wouldn't do anything to see him being off the road any longer than he needs to be,  I could leave it out side all week and they wouldn't touche it  :D  Even when I used their play house a temp spray booth they commended on the over spray about a week later when it was safe to go in there, hmm why didn't you paint the rest of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Finished fitting the exhaust & tested :) and just thought it worth mentioning if your painting your exhaust to check the silencers are draining water OK

post-1-0-90623400-1433964505_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-74929700-1433964549_thumb.jpg

As you can see one draining perfectly the other maybe blocked with paint but I will keep an eye on it and attempt to unblock it because if its not draining it will fill with water :huh:

• Founding Member

Call me thick but I've spotted that some cars don't half leak water via the exhaust?  How is this happening....in simple Brummie terms?  Is it condensation inside or is it a by-product of the 'black magic' going on in the catalytic converters?  Or is it something else?  Just asking.  :huh:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Combustion produces H20 and C02 from the hydrocarbons in fuel and the oxygen in air; the air coming out of the engine is pretty humid, and hot. As it cools the water condenses in the exhaust as it travels away from the CAT.

• Moderators

Call me thick but I've spotted that some cars don't half leak water via the exhaust?  How is this happening....in simple Brummie terms?  Is it condensation inside or is it a by-product of the 'black magic' going on in the catalytic converters?  Or is it something else?  Just asking.  :huh:

Yes! All of the above basically. The "something else" is the water released by the petrol when it is burnt. So all three of your ideas.

Also unleaded petrol seems to have a higher water content than the old "four star" for some odd reason. If the weather is humid as well and the air the engine takes in is moist, this will also produce more steam from the tailpipes.

• The topic was pinned