Subscriptions & Donations ×

front calipers

Freddyo

hi, my first post so pls be gentle

My coupe (CG2, 3 l v6) failed its MOT on ''front service brakes excessively binding''  and Im told its probably the front calipers

a prelim check online and been quoted almost £2-300 each!

can anyone advised where I could look to buy these at a more reasonable price? 

and for that matter, a good source in general for parts? 

Thanks in advance

Fred

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hi Fred, welcome to the H6nda club !!

We need pics of your ride when it's fixed !!!

It's quite likely that the slider pins are the culprits, especially the lower ones.. its worth taking the caliper off and cleaning everything you can see including the stainless brake pad bearers.  Take the sliders out, careful with the slider boots, clean off the grease and check for corrosion., give them a good scrub and lubricate them with brake grease or rubber grease..

If you can clean around the caliper dust seal too, check for the piston moving smoothly as well. If not then you might be looking for a caliper, try the local trade places first, you just might get lucky ! 🤣

Stick it back together and test...

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Freddyo said:

I will upload the pics asap!

thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

Can I ask though, where would be a good place other than the usual motor factors that supply parts for this rather niche and rare motor?

Just depends on what parts you are looking for, Cox Motor parts is a good one, genuine honda stuff but at a price. Holdcroft Honda good too for some items. Amayama.com,  Japanese supplier if pushed for difficult to find gear. American suppliers too have difficult to find stuff.

As for service parts like filters plenty of suppliers , check on line is a good start.

Have a look here too, good stuff inside these threads.

https://honda6.ipbhost.com/forum/115-engine-faults/

And here

• Founding Member

I support Pete's reply above.  I have revived my own calipers using that same method (works on most other cars too!), and I think many others have done too.

If you do need a caliper, Brake Engineering lists them in its catalogue:

https://www.brake-eng.com/en/catalogue/#market=gb&vehicleType=P&manufacturerId=45&modelId=3950&vehicleId=|10240%2CFront-Wheel+Drive+(02%2F98+->+06%2F03%3B+200HP+%2F+147KW)&productGroupId=78

Brake Engineering does not wantto sell direct to piblic- so be warned.  But they do have a network of agents and will be able to advise one near you.  Their products are service exchange, so unless you take the old one in with you, & hand it over, you will have to pay a supplement & then claim it back when you do take in the old unit.

• Clap Hands 1

Thanks to you both for your replies. Have had the Coupe for approx 3 months and I love it. Would love to keep it for a long time to come altho I'm on the edge of London's soon to be expanded Ulez zone which means I can only drive east of where I live! 

I've one more question if I may, I've noticed that my car is sometimes listed as a Mk7(Cg2?) on some sites. Is this because the mk6 and 7 are interchangeable on some parts? Am I missing something? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulS said:

I support Pete's reply above.  I have revived my own calipers using that same method (works on most other cars too!), and I think many others have done too.

If you do need a caliper, Brake Engineering lists them in its catalogue:

https://www.brake-eng.com/en/catalogue/#market=gb&vehicleType=P&manufacturerId=45&modelId=3950&vehicleId=|10240%2CFront-Wheel+Drive+(02%2F98+->+06%2F03%3B+200HP+%2F+147KW)&productGroupId=78

Brake Engineering does not wantto sell direct to piblic- so be warned.  But they do have a network of agents and will be able to advise one near you.  Their products are service exchange, so unless you take the old one in with you, & hand it over, you will have to pay a supplement & then claim it back when you do take in the old unit.

I agree that some brake problems can be solved by cleaning and reassembly as Pete said above. However sometimes it really is the piston that needs fixing.  Over the years, I have had a front caliper and a rear caliper rebuilt by a place called Big Red in Worcester.  Most recently,  they did a rear caliper just before Christmas,  arranged by my garage.  I did notice when I got the car back that one of the stainless steel pad carriers was missing: don't know how that got lost,  but it's not absolutely critical, is it?

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, welland99 said:

I did notice when I got the car back that one of the stainless steel pad carriers was missing: don't know how that got lost,  but it's not absolutely critical, is it?

As I understand it the stainless sprung slide shim carrier is to centralise the pad and enable the pad ears to slide easily / corrosion prevention between the steel pad ear and the steel  carrier....without it the pads may stick more easily or be loose enough to rattle or squeal particularly if the shims on the rear of the pad are missing. 

Having said that the old motors never had this...does it really help?  Well, you may be able to shed light on it now with your experience in use without the stainless  bit !!!

• Like 1

https://brakeparts.co.uk/

These guys are good also. They sell kits to replace the sliders and 20yr old rubber. And also caliper kits to replace pistons and seals. Less than £20. They do them through ebay too if not on direct website.

A garage would make short work of it if you don't have time, space, tools and confidence. About an hours labour and vat I'd guess. 

• Like 1