Subscriptions & Donations Γ—

Honda Elysion Suspension Knock, Bilstein shock expired

PTR200S

• Moderators

Huge knocking / banging going over bumps, speed bumps etc...😱😱😱😱

Sounds like either the big lower suspension arm bush has gone or possibly the ball joint on the offside front...

Down to my mates two poster tomorrow to investigate 😭 

Early bath today, methinks πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

• Sad 1

• Moderators

I couldn't resist having an initial look.

This is the nearside lower wishbone rubber bush..about 3 inches in diameter...a biggy.

20230120-133847.jpg

Β 

This is the offending items, you can see the difference in the clearance of the arm.

Β 

Β 

20230120-133818.jpg

Β 

Just happen to have some in stock 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

20230120-133938.jpg

Hope that's the only problem..πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

Β 

• Moderators

Confirmed this morning that this is the bush, above , is the problem.... well one anyway.

Looks like I need one of the other bushes as well, the shock suspension fork bush has split a little too..part no 51810-SJK-003, it looks like the Febest HAB-092 is the equivalent but "out of stock" everywhere. Genuine looks to be available from Amayama.com.Β 

Anyone ordering from Amayama.com in the next week or so? If I could add my two bushes to your order and maybe share the postage??

• Founding Member
On 1/20/2023 at 4:50 PM, PTR200S said:

Just happen to have some in stock

And I am just wondering how you happened to carry these exact items at home????Β  Did you previously think they were on their way out?

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, PaulS said:

And I am just wondering how you happened to carry these exact items at home????Β  Did you previously think they were on their way out?

Haha !Β  Yes, good point !!

As it happened, probably a good two years ago I spotted a couple of cracks in the void bush rubber and thought I must check on availability of them...just happened to be talking to Paul at Cox Honda about something else, can't recall what, and mentioned these bushes.

He said it just so happened he had got a couple in for someone else but they decided to sell their vehicle and so offered them to me at a good price...

Like Stu, I like to be ahead of the game 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, welland99 said:

One of my other cars suddenly started knocking over bumps before Christmas.Β  It turned out to be the front anti-roll bar linkage on one side had lost a bush, so there was loads of play.Β  Managed to change it easily.Β 

That's what I thought initially as it sounded a bit like that sort of thing but everything is tight there but as soon as I stuck the lever into the big bush and found I could move it a lot further than a compliance bush should move.....unfortunately this is not an easy change and I really ought to do the other side plus the drive shaft bearing so I might take the van off the road at the end of the month and just use the Coupe as sole transport....oh, the agony 🀣🀣🀣

• Moderators

Amayama.com have a six plus week delay for the bushes πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

Febest bushes out of stock everywhere...

Rang Cox Honda as they don't list them under the Honda part number on their website but can actually get them from Honda Belgium.Β 

Why we are still dealing with the "EU" to buy stuff when it can be shipped direct from other countries I really don't understand πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

......just had an email ,from Cox, to give the price for each bush..Β£17.72 FFS !!!!!!!Β 

To get them from Japan they are £7.80 each...plus of course shipping...now you would have thought that bringing parts in direct by the container load direct from Japan via  Belgium  would have been cost effective but it looks like the EU tax products for just having items pass through "their" ports.   So I will be paying the same to buy in the UK as in Japan, by total.🀬🀬🀬🀬🀬

Β 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Started dismantling the offside front today, discovered the lower ball joint has burst its cover...need one of those now and will have to dismantle the whole lot of the lower suspension.Β  This is going to be a pig of a job and πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘ ball joint cost is about 65 quid ffs !!!!

Big job broken out by the looks of it but I have my trusty Coupe to keep me sane whilst the Elysion is off the road for a while, no rush .πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ₯³

On 1/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, PTR200S said:

Amayama.com have a six plus week delay for the bushes πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

Febest bushes out of stock everywhere...

Rang Cox Honda as they don't list them under the Honda part number on their website but can actually get them from Honda Belgium.Β 

Why we are still dealing with the "EU" to buy stuff when it can be shipped direct from other countries I really don't understand πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒ

......just had an email ,from Cox, to give the price for each bush..Β£17.72 FFS !!!!!!!Β 

To get them from Japan they are £7.80 each...plus of course shipping...now you would have thought that bringing parts in direct by the container load direct from Japan via  Belgium  would have been cost effective but it looks like the EU tax products for just having items pass through "their" ports.   So I will be paying the same to buy in the UK as in Japan, by total.🀬🀬🀬🀬🀬

Β 

When my bushes went my garage managed to match them up to a 2014 honda accord

• Moderators
On 2/2/2023 at 3:41 PM, st123 said:

When my bushes went my garage managed to match them up to a 2014 honda accord

That's interesting, the fork bushes you mean or the bottom ball joint ?

My fork bushes arrived today as it happens.

20230202-143126.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Pushing on with the lower suspension removal but some nuts seized...didn't take long for rust to take hold after having got a rust free car from Japan..five years in and the road salt has started to encroach into every area 😱😱😱😱😱

The drop link bolts are playing hard to remove, but the big barsteward horizontal front bush bolt came free easily along with the main chassis member inner bushing bolt. The lower ball joint also not coming away yet.. the main shock fork pivot has let go nicely πŸ˜‚

Left it soaking in ferrosol,  work time now 😑

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• The title was changed to Honda Elysion Suspension Knock
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Couldn't get the front disk off as it's "glued" to the hub with rust I think.

Soaked the screws with release agent and the impact driver released them nicely but the disks were stuck firmly despite being given the hammer treatment,,,gently !

Went out to have another go this morning before work and spotted a couple of indents in the hub...cleaned them out to find m8 threads and at the bottom of the hole the hub...lovely !!Β  Β Couple of threaded bolts inserted and wound up with a rachet and the disk popped off !!!!!!Β Β 

I must be getting old, missing stuff like this...or just too tired from work 🀣🀣🀣  retirement beckons !!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Not been able to get on with this for a week or so....left everything soaking in release agent.

Today is maintenance day for some of the fleet and success with Elly !

The final hurdle of getting the lower ball joint out of the lower wishbone which it has been mated with for 20 years was tackled this morning after mot the 04 plate Jazz.Β 

Finally.

20230225-132356.jpg

It's a big bugger !! And heavy !!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/25/2023 at 3:51 PM, hughezee said:

Great work Pete πŸ‘

Next job is to change the bushes, need mates BIG press to do that !!

Decided to install the new disks whilst I am at it...might as well, they are on the stock shelf !!Β  The old ones are still good, around 0.8mm wear !!! Minimal lip, might prove useful for someone else.Β 

20230226-114933.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Once I have sorted all the niggles out I might do a write up of the procedure for removing the lower suspension, if any interest, to Elysion owners as it can be done without removing the hub unless the lower ball joint needs replacement.Β 

The lack of rubber boots for the lower ball joint is another problem.  Discontinued by Honda and seemingly no stock around I have managed to find the nearest equivalent in size, its BIG ! , on a Ford Transit bus as it happens 🀣🀣🀣 I thought the Odyssey might be suitable but they're not either,  Diesel Accord looks close but i cant see them being bigger than the petrol Accord ? Stu???

Just waiting for "Ford " ones to be delivered to check for comparison and fitting.Β  Β The multi packs of rubber boots and most other offerings are far too small for the Elysion. Even my trade mates in a couple of garages expressed shock over the size when going through the ones they normally use day to day.

I suspect the " Ford " ones are also multi use versions, not specific.Β 

• Like 1

• Moderators

This morning I got a message from my mate to say the bushes were in, had to use the 15 ton press 🀣🀣🀣🀣

You can see the corrosion on the pic of the bush on its side...20 years of hanging out in the front wheel arch has done it no favours but the rubber part is where the real deterioration set in as shown in the other pics.

20230303-130402.jpg

20230303-130437.jpg

20230303-130351.jpg

Β 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well, the rubber ball joint boots arrived...definitely a generic type, not Ford, but pretty close shape and size wise...the ball hole (err, pardon?Β  ) is the correct size, just but the leg hole (!!! ) is tight. At least the rubber is stretchy. ....mmmmmmm......

Just need to allocate some time to the rebuild now...in the meantime the Coupe has once again stepped into the breach without complaint...

I love my Coupe 😍

Β 

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

πŸ₯³

successΒ  !!!!!!Β Β 

all back together now, with new disk too.

20230307-145109.jpg

20230307-145148.jpg

20230307-145154.jpg

20230307-145158.jpg

20230307-145204.jpg

Weather was great today, wall to wall sunshine,Β  blue skies, no wind to speak of but it was bloody cold πŸ₯ΆπŸ₯ΆπŸ₯ΆπŸ₯ΆπŸ₯ΆπŸ₯ΆπŸ₯ΆπŸ₯Ά

So much easier working in these conditions roll on summer !!!

just got to decide if the other side gets done now or into the summer πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

As a follow-up to your recent MOT pass, but yet your suspension knocking still persists and I would suggest thoroughly checking rear or front antiroll bar for sliding play. I had a similar annoying clunk on the Odyssey but could never find it until I replaced the rear drop links the noise went away for a week or soΒ πŸ€” then came back which led me to the rear D bushes on the antiroll bar itself p/n: 52315SJK014.

honda-52315sjk014-1568901053549-big.jpg

I couldn't move it easily but noticed a tiny gap around the antiroll bar, not enough for light to pass through either. Anyway replaced both bushes for OEM and the noise never returned, so might be worth replacing them???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

As a follow-up to your recent MOT pass, but yet your suspension knocking still persists and I would suggest thoroughly checking rear or front antiroll bar for sliding play. I had a similar annoying clunk on the Odyssey but could never find it until I replaced the rear drop links the noise went away for a week or soΒ πŸ€” then came back which led me to the rear D bushes on the antiroll bar itself p/n: 52315SJK014.

honda-52315sjk014-1568901053549-big.jpg

I couldn't move it easily but noticed a tiny gap around the antiroll bar, not enough for light to pass through either. Anyway replaced both bushes for OEM and the noise never returned, so might be worth replacing them???

Interesting that because those bushes got talked about last week and although they seemed OK there was some "flexibility " there...but is it too much ??? The noise is definitely from the front and those bushes are massive. Wonder if they are the same bushes as the Oddy...

Definitely worth the check / replacement,Β  thanks for thatΒ  πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Like 1