Subscriptions & Donations ×

Wrong Oil ?

Wolf02

Just had my car serviced by the local garage and specifically gave them a list of oils to use, HOWEVER, they have put generic 5/20 "ecoboost" oil in, based on the receipt. Circa £38 of oil

Is this likely to cause an issue and do I need to demand they put it right or will it be ok for this one time ? 

• Moderators

5-20 oil is not the stuff to use....is it the Magnatec ecoboost stuff they used ?

It was designed for Ford turbo and hybrid engines if I recall....and I designate it weasel piss..🤣 

These thin oils , Honda push the low viscosity oils as well to promote fuel economy...mate has a Civic that the dealer insisted on putting 0/20 in I think !!!

You need the proper filter and the oil should be something like 10/40 semi synthetic for your engine..10/30 ok too.......synthetic is OK as well but not required.

Bit of a discussion here, plus comments on " 0" oils !!

• Like 2

Yea think its the magnatec ecoboost, dont have any real details just whats listed on the invoice. Clearly just put the usual cheap crap in they always use by the looks of it. 

Hopefully it wont cause a problem but will keep an eye out for leaks etc 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Google the oil and check it's approvals, if it's the right weight for your engine and it meets Hondas standards then your probably ok.

If your not happy with it then treat it as a flush for a few miles and get it changed, peace of mind is worth more than saving a couple of quid.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Cryistic said:

Google the oil and check it's approvals, if it's the right weight for your engine and it meets Hondas standards then your probably ok.

If your not happy with it then treat it as a flush for a few miles and get it changed, peace of mind is worth more than saving a couple of quid.

👆 this. !!

Trouble is Honda promote their current thinking,  apparently, and apply it across the board....or the dealers do at least. 

Take one such example appropriate to our transmission,  DW1      

In this case 0/20 not the right oil for this engine but you are definitely right ,...... treat it like a flush and put the correct stuff in for the few quid it costs....

• Like 2

• Administrators

Engine oil is very much a personal choice and there are many discussions on the topic around the site, with member experiences. Although I doubt you will have any result with the garage swapping it out for free, as long as it's within the manufactures specification they haven't done anything wrong. The majority of 0W20 oils are within spec on paper and in essence are backwards compatible. However in reality on a worn engine it's not always the case and I would say after a couple of weeks you will start to notice it doesn't feel the same, extra engine noise when hot & cold, a little hesitant on acceleration and reduced mpg and oil consumption and almost certainly it will leak out somewhere.

• Like 1