Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Legend KB1 steering - noisy pump.

Cryistic

• Founding Member

Afternoon all,

I'm starting to get some noise from the Power steering pump when conducting low speed maneuvers, no leaks that are visible underneath, the steering just doesnt feel quite "right" either, not quite canceling in the dead ahead position, it's not notchy but I think I can detect some change over the last week or so.

I just want to confirm that it is a Hydraulic rack and if it is where the Power steering reservoir lives so I can inspect the fluid and check it's not aerated, if it is then I'll be sending it in for some warranty work.

• Moderators

Presuming it is a hydraulic system then the reservoir should be somewhere close to the pump which is presumably belt driven ..so somewhere near the belts .... not much help I guess....

I have a sneaking feeling that some legends had an electric steering option...might just be JDM stuff..

Stu will put it all into focus I expect , 😀😀🤩

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Cryistic said:

I just want to confirm that it is a Hydraulic rack and if it is where the Power steering reservoir lives so I can inspect the fluid and check it's not aerated, if it is then I'll be sending it in for some warranty work.

Yes, it should have hydraulic power steering and the reservoir will be located under the n.s cover on the engine bay.👍

Like Pete @PTR200S suggests it's never far from the pump. 👌

2007-honda-legend-acura-r-36_800x0w.jpg

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Well it's appears to be an electric steering rack, which as I have LKAS i should have googled.

I took the cover off and there is no reservoir and no pump running off the aux belt, the only items running on the aux belt are the alternator and A/C compressor.

So it's a hybrid electric rack as far as I believe, anyone want a litre of Honda PSF 😄

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Cryistic said:

Well it's appears to be an electric steering rack, which as I have LKAS i should have googled.

Hmm, as I said, there were some leccy ones about....

Good job you have a warranty !! Get it back in there!!!!

Can always use ps oil, Stu is probably the best recipient as he helps so many of us 😎😎

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Cryistic said:

Well, at least it's eliminated that as the possible culprit, just hope you get to the bottom of it quickly.🤞

2 hours ago, PTR200S said:

Can always use ps oil, Stu is probably the best recipient as he helps so many of us 😎😎

What Pete said 😉😆

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Well there is no remedy as it's more of a feeling than an actual Fault at this point, now it could be that I'm being unfair on the steering as it is heavier than the Lexus RX I had and the XC40 Volvo which is the other car I use.

So I have another 4 months warranty so the solution at this point is just drive it and see if it gets worse and if it does get it fixed.

It's odd that I love Hondas but this car worries me like no other I've ever owned, I'm constantly driving round with the stereo off listening for odd noises, I suppose it's a hangover from the last one I had.

I need to get it over to Stu to have a good look round it and stop being bloody paranoid and just drive it.

• Clap Hands 1