Subscriptions & Donations Ă—

Car & Classic Project 827

hughezee

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Subscriber’s

I watched this when it came out as well. Brought back some memories of the 820e I had in the early 90s. The 'e' had a single point throttle body injection, as opposed to a full injection as in the 820i. Great car, but could never fully eradicate brake judder, which was a common problem with them. I suppose by now, this issue has been solved?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Moderators
On 6/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, Chrismas said:

I suppose by now, this issue has been solved?

Never had brake judder on any of my 800s, it's not unknown but usually on the 827 Mk1 with the 285mm discs up front as they weren't wide enough to dissipate the extra heat so warped slightly.

However, something diagnosed as brake judder might not have been anything to do with the brakes at all, likely culprits would have been brake reaction bar bushes in the front front crossmember (no that's not a typo, there's a front rear crossmember too!), worn track rod ends, worn upper bearings in the upper wishbones and the scariest of all, worn lower ball joints which, if badly enough worn, could in fact snap resulting in the wheel burying itself in the wheelarch! :o

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
On 12/27/2022 at 1:23 PM, hughezee said:

For those interested in the final part of the 827 recommissioning. 👉

This was a good little series of videos. Takes me back to 1993 when I had an 820e. This one had the M series engine, but had a single point throttle body fuel injection system. As mentioned previously, the issues I had were warping discs, and a couple of exhaust valves that burnt out. That was quite an expensive job. 

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
On 12/30/2022 at 9:23 AM, Laird_Scooby said:

Never had brake judder on any of my 800s, it's not unknown but usually on the 827 Mk1 with the 285mm discs up front as they weren't wide enough to dissipate the extra heat so warped slightly.

However, something diagnosed as brake judder might not have been anything to do with the brakes at all, likely culprits would have been brake reaction bar bushes in the front front crossmember (no that's not a typo, there's a front rear crossmember too!), worn track rod ends, worn upper bearings in the upper wishbones and the scariest of all, worn lower ball joints which, if badly enough worn, could in fact snap resulting in the wheel burying itself in the wheelarch! :o

I seem to remember fitting police spec discs, which worked! 

• Like 2

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

Takes me back to 1993 when I had an 820e. This one had the M series engine, but had a single point throttle body fuel injection system.

Yes, the 820e was a detuned M series, put out about 120bhp with the TBI - allegedly the "e" was for economy - a failed ambition! Made them more thirsty (in general) unless you could get ideal cruising conditions and had a very light and steady right foot. The MPi 140bhp version was much better, the extra power pulled the car along so much easier that economy was improved vastly despite it being full group/batch fire injection.

22 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

As mentioned previously, the issues I had were warping discs,

20 minutes ago, Chrismas said:

I seem to remember fitting police spec discs, which worked!

The Police spec discs were 285mm so chances are, that's what was already on there (shouldn't have been, should have had 262mm from the factory) so maybe someone changed them or they got fitted at the factory because that's what they had available. The 285 discs were the same thickness as the 262 discs so when the extra heat from the larger contact area built up, they weren't wide enough to dissipate it quickly enough at 22mm thick, same as the 262mm discs. On my Volvo i have 285 discs on the front but they are 26mm thick so never a problem with warping. Eventually Rover deleted the 285 option and just fitted 262 all round across the range.

• Like 2