Subscriptions & Donations ×

Window exterior molding assy restoration possible ?

KingK0ng

Hello everyone, today i though it was a good idea to clean the exterior but inner side of the window molding assy.. The moleskin that are in contact with the window didn't have any green mold or whatever but they looked a bit dirty and very hard on touch and got already some scratches because all that.. So i took a small brush with water and soap and gently cleaned it and as some dirt was coming out i later noticed that some small parts were started to coming off... I don't know if it's because those things aren't supposed to be cleaned or being too old and fragile..Now i can see in some spot that those hair are missing and it doesn't look good 😕 

I wanted to know if it would be possible to strip totally the old moleskin and replace them with a new strap. So do you think its feasible ? and have you any idea where i could get this kind of moleskin strap ?

Thanks

Edit : After some research the name of the material isn't moleskin but flocking adhesive tape

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 5/5/2021 at 8:50 PM, KingK0ng said:

being too old and fragile..

I would think you're spot on with it being 20+ years old. 👍

On 5/5/2021 at 8:50 PM, KingK0ng said:

material isn't moleskin but flocking adhesive tape

I did wonder what you were trying to describe 🤣 looks readily available at least. 🖐️

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, hughezee said:

I did wonder what you were trying to describe 🤣 looks readily available at least. 🖐️

Hello hughezee, yeah sorry but since english isn't my native language i'm often hesitant and not sure on what word i should use to describe something :)

I kept searching info about this and it seems that the flocking on the rubber isn't on a adhesive tape or something but applied directly on the rubber itself on top of a thin layer of glue, still not sure tho..

What i'm going to do is remove the original flocking enterly, clean the rubber and apply an new strip of flocked velvet on a adhesive band, everything togheter is 1mm thick. Two concerns, how well the adhesive will hold in place and not move while the window drags it upon close and open and the other concern is how it will hold against water and hot days.. Anyway it's going to be an experiment i guess, if it's working well the good thing is that those can be replacable with new ones anytime it's needed, if not, just going to be a pain in the ass..

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, KingK0ng said:

Hello hughezee, yeah sorry but since english isn't my native language i'm often hesitant and not sure on what word i should use to describe something

You have excellent written English in my opinion fella. 🖐️

1 hour ago, KingK0ng said:

What i'm going to do is remove the original flocking enterly, clean the rubber and apply an new strip of flocked velvet on a adhesive band, everything togheter is 1mm thick

Looking forward to any updates you can share with us, one of my motors needs the same job, could be very useful. 👍

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1

Thanks :), I though it would be easier to get the molding assy off to do the job but i'm too much worried that i may bent one of them in the removal process as those things are quite fragile from what i've heard.. I'll try to do the job with the moldings on the car, there is still some slight space to work with but my only concern will be to avoid dropping some flocking particles inside the gap, will be fun for sure...😣

To start with and after some long search i found what i think to be the best strip to apply. This one seems to be of good quality and for outdoor use as well. Here is the link. Going to place an order in the next few days, also try to see if i can get a better deal on the shipping cost tho because i feel it's a touch bit pricey imho..

• Like 3

• Site Subscriber’s

The eBay link lead me to this after a couple more clicks

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392108682425

Which got me thinking about the chrome bumper trims. Do the coupes have these? My Legend certainty does. Car SOS used a company that can paint spray a mirror finish on to plastic but wondered if this chrome tape would be a viable alternative.

Anyone else had experience of "rechroming" plastic trims?

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/7/2021 at 11:14 PM, KingK0ng said:

To start with and after some long search i found what i think to be the best strip to apply. This one seems to be of good quality and for outdoor use as well. 

Nice idea, i have another idea that may work better though. Remove the trim strip completely and take it indoors, give it a good long soak and wash in hot, soapy water (use washing up liquid/dish soap to make it soapy) using a toothrbush or similar to get it really clean.

Then rinse well and allow to dry thoroughly. Once dry, use something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264163164957?hash=item3d815a031d:g:YeoAAOSwO-pcSb3m

Might not be exactly the product you're loking for but should point you in the general direction. I've usually found with products like the one you found the extra thickness causes problems.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:51 AM, RevvinKevin said:

The eBay link lead me to this after a couple more clicks

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392108682425

Which got me thinking about the chrome bumper trims. Do the coupes have these? My Legend certainty does. Car SOS used a company that can paint spray a mirror finish on to plastic but wondered if this chrome tape would be a viable alternative.

Thanks, you're an absolute star for finding that! 👍 Been looking for it for months if not years! Got similar trims on my Sterling that have lost their original plastic chrome and want to refresh them. Would also work on tarnished headlamp reflectors to restore them to as new condition. ;):D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Nice idea, i have another idea that may work better though. Remove the trim strip completely and take it indoors, give it a good long soak and wash in hot, soapy water (use washing up liquid/dish soap to make it soapy) using a toothrbush or similar to get it really clean.

Then rinse well and allow to dry thoroughly. Once dry, use something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264163164957?hash=item3d815a031d:g:YeoAAOSwO-pcSb3m

Might not be exactly the product you're loking for but should point you in the general direction. I've usually found with products like the one you found the extra thickness causes problems.

Nice alternative indeed and it should be closer to what it looks from factory. My initialy though was indeed to remove the strip completely to make the job easier but like i said i'm concern that i may bend one of the trim strip or damage anything else in the process of removal..Did you tried ? If so had you any good success ?

Thats the reason why i though of the adhesive strip instead and one other good reason is that it should  be easely replacable everytime they got dirty overtime. In regard of the thickness you're right and must be taken into account, the one i found is 0.45mm, do you think it's still too thick ?

Both method have plus and cons.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, KingK0ng said:

Nice alternative indeed and it should be closer to what it looks from factory. My initialy though was indeed to remove the strip completely to make the job easier but like i said i'm concern that i may bend one of the trim strip or damage anything else in the process of removal..Did you tried ? If so had you any good success ?

Thats the reason why i though of the adhesive strip instead and one other good reason is that it should  be easely replacable everytime they got dirty overtime. In regard of the thickness you're right and must be taken into account, the one i found is 0.45mm, do you think it's still too thick ?

Both method have plus and cons.

I haven't tried it, my window rubbers are different but 0.45mm thick shouldn't make a difference. The hard part will be getting the old rubber clean and smooth enough for the new strip to stick and stay stuck. Other than that i think as you say, both methods have pros and cons so go with what you feel most comfortable with trying, if it doesn't work, try the other one.

I haven't tried it, my window rubbers are different

What do you mean by different ? You mean on another car you have than a cg ?

0.45mm thick should make a difference

In a good or bad way ?

The hard part will be getting the old rubber clean and smooth enough for the new strip to stick and stay stuck. Other than that i think as you say, both methods have pros and cons so go with what you feel most comfortable with trying, if it doesn't work, try the other one.

Yes especially trying to clean it with the trim on the car will be a bit tricky..I'll try and see, if the adhesive strip doesn't work i'll have no choice than trying your solution.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KingK0ng said:

You mean on another car you have than a cg ?

Have a look at my signature! ;)

2 hours ago, KingK0ng said:
4 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

0.45mm thick should make a difference

In a good or bad way ?

I've corrected it above but meant to type "shouldn't make a diffrence". :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Subscriber’s
On 5/8/2021 at 11:54 AM, KingK0ng said:

If you want chrome trim on your bumper

I have a Legend KB1 and the 4 bumpers each have a chrome trim. Not an inserted strip though as your link would suggest but a properly shaped and tapered chromed moulding. "Rechroming" would be the best long term solution

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Received the flocking tape, i end up buying it elsewhere than the inital link i posted above. Was more than half price for 5cm x 12m compared to 5cm x 2m..., if the quality is equal or better than the other one it's a steal...

I measured the thickness and its 0.6mm which is quit thin and not too far from factory thickness i guess.

This one was initialy sold as a projector/tv screen border to give a better contrast but i though it may do the job as well. The flocking is extremely smooth and soft which is very good for the glass run purpose. The tape is kind of stretch because it's not glued on a thin uniform adhesive layer but instead the glue is directly applied to the fabric itself. So it makes it more flexible and at this point it may be a good thing or a bad, i'm still arguing about this point. 

Wanted to make a test on rubber and see how it sticks which was my main concern. The closest thing i found to test on was on a rubber glass wiper. That being said, don't know how similar the rubber chemical component may be with our rubber window trim but hope they're not too far apart.

So i cleaned the surface with alcohol and applied the tape and the result is that i didn't expect it would stick so well on "this type" of rubber. Now next concern will be how well it will resist against hot weather and water.

20210622-134101.jpg20210622-134311.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

Since i want to do this job without removing the moldings from doors i'm thinking of the easiest way to remove the old flocking without dropping residues inside the door. So now i'm thinking to try first with a strong adhesive tape and see if the flocking will peel off everytime i remove it, if it works i will repeat the process until most of it is gone.  

• Like 3