Subscriptions & Donations ×

KB1 Powered Window Blind

RevvinKevin

• Site Subscriber’s

My powered window blind had become less hit more miss when I pressed the roof mounted switch. Always goes down when reverse selected though. I suspect a faulty switch as it doesn't feel quire right. Big question is, how do I remove the all the trim/surround so I can get to the switch to test it please?

• Confused 1

• Administrators

If my memory serves me right the overhead console, housing is just held up with clips and it comes down as a complete unit and you dismantle the unit to gain access to the switches. Some other models tend to be held in place with screws normally hidden under the reading light covers so worth checking, either way, a trim removal tool and contact cleaner maybe your friend.🖐️

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

Ok. Found time at the weekend to tackle the overhead light/switch console on the KB1. 

1st step. Removed the lens. Flat blade slots to the rear, 1 each side.

That revealed 2x8mm hex securing screws.

With the screws removed pull down with finger nails under the edges. Push the whole unit towards the windscreen and remove from the lining back/rear (closest to the sunroof) first.

Unclip the multi pin connector

To be continued........

IMG_20210405_161607.jpg

IMG_20210405_161004.jpg

IMG_20210405_160818.jpg

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s

With the unit on the kitchen table it's time to disassemble.

Remove 5 Phillips screws, 4 at the back, 1 centrally at the front. I removed the screw on the black box (microphone interface) which helped later but wasn't necessary to get the grey cover off

Unclip the the tabs around the edges. Remove the cover.

Unplug the black box (LHS) and at the rear. Take out the 8 or so srews holding the PCB board down. 

Remove the board.

The offending switch (push button) is SW113. (SW114 is the rear headrest dropper).

Not much chance of spraying liberally with contact cleaner and I didn't fancy unsoldering it either. With a multimeter on the test points at the switch base. I repeatedly operated the button. Meter read varying values of resistance with each press and occasionally beeped with zero ohms. A few more presses and a bit of compressed air I got a beep with every press.

Reassembled in reverse order and plugged back in to test.

SUCCESS!

refitted back in the roof aperture after refitting the 2 black plastic push clips which I removed earlier to prevent loss.

Again, pushing the unit against the spring tabs at the front, pop the back tabs under the headlining and push up into place. Refit the 2 screws and the lamp cover.

IMG_20210405_120925.jpg

IMG_20210405_121320.jpg

IMG_20210405_121539.jpg

IMG_20210405_122648.jpg

IMG_20210405_125234.jpg

IMG_20210405_160818.jpg

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators

Nice work there,  so satisfying to tackle and fix something like this 👏👏

Looks like lack of use in the switch contacts was the problem then, bit of corrosion perhaps and working it has cleared the corrosive film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...