Subscriptions & Donations ×

Hi and probably will be a V6 Coupe owner by the weekend...

rich1068

Hi all. Thought I'd pop my head round the door 👋

Looking at an Accord V6 Coupe on Sunday which I'll almost certainly buy because I'm weak. Currently sat at around 130k miles but looks in decent nick from the photos and I'm quite familiar with Japanese cars having a run of Lexus (Lexi-?). I know from this era they wear their miles well and though I've never had a Honda I'm sure this will be the case. I do enjoy getting my hands a little dirty too so for me the initial fettling is always the fun bit.

I did come close to a V6 Coupe last year but the seller was extremely difficult and it wasn't to be so I bought another Lexus. And another Saab. Now this one is available so I thought it would be rude not to.

Richard.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Hi Richard, welcome to the club and great choice on the coupe, just make sure the gearbox is shifting smooth as all too often this sort of mileage is when they can finally let go if they've been neglected, so evidence of at least two ATF changes would be very advantageous. Also, check the driverside rear for any sign or smells of fuel as it could be a deal-breaker if it needs a new fuel tank.🖐️

• Like 3

Thanks Hugh.

The current owner reports no issues with the auto box but was also unaware of the slightly iffy reputation. He's only had it about a year and I got the impression he's thinning his fleet due to the usual extremely tiresome COVID non-driving reasons. I don't doubt his integrity as I realised after our chat that he's rather well known in motor racing and journalism circles. 

Changing the ATF will in all likelihood be my first job and I've already watched a very helpful how-to on YouTube. Very straightforward, much like the Lexus.

From last year's search I did come across reports of ignition switches failing and causing the engine to cut out while driving. Is this quite widespread or internet Chinese whispers?

Noted re: fuel tank.

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I did come across reports of ignition switches failing and causing the engine to cut out while driving. Is this quite widespread

I have only ever swapped one ignition switch on an accord coupe and that was a process of elimination regards a none start issue which was an earthing fault in the end. Other than that I cannot recall a single members coupe having to actually need an ignition switch replaced or flagged as faulty. The fuel relay issue is the most common more known as refusing to start rather than cutting out while driving and that's well documented here. However the UK built 1998 2002 accords is a different matter I have replaced so many ignition switches I've lost count, not saying it won't happen as I have seen plenty reports of 1998-2002 accord ignition switch failures in the USA.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Welcome aboard Richard and great choice of car! For the ATF there's a section/thread with various recommended fluids - don't use the Honda DW-1 as it could fry the torque converter. Also be aware the torque converter lock up drops in and out under normal driving conditions, only worry if it doesn't lock up at all which would most likely be the thermostat (engine cooling).

Plenty of advice on here, we're already looking forward to the pics of your new steed! ;):D

• Like 3

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

For the ATF there's a section/thread with various recommended fluids - don't use the Honda DW-1 as it could fry the torque converter.

I was going to mention about Honda DW1, thanks for the reminder Dave 👍

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Changing the ATF will in all likelihood be my first job and I've already watched a very helpful how-to on YouTube.

Worth looking at these topics too, before changing the fluid.🖐️

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Hi and welcome from me too 😁

Looking forward to seeing your new steed, we need pics !!!!!

Good move on giving a going over when you get it, nothing like hands on experience to give you insight into your ride 

🚙 😛

• Like 2
  • Clap Hands 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Re: pics. Do I need a certain post count? Can't see an attach button apart from Insert Image From URL.

Go to a hosting site like postimages.com, upload your images there and then click the share button above the image you want.

From the options, select "Direct Link" - at the end of it there is a blue button, click that and it should say "Copied".

Return to your post, right click where you want the pic to be then click paste and then hit Return/Enter on the keyboard.

Repeat for the other photos, add whatever text you want, job done! ;):D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

You can if you're a subscriber but either way, using a third-party host keeps the server size and therefore the costs down leaving more in the club pot for the various events Stu normally hosts each year - not done much over the past year for the obvious reason of the dreaded Kung Flu!

• Like 1