Subscriptions & Donations ×

Advice please - ABS light

BN Coupe

Greetings all.  I haven't been on here for a while but have still got the Honda.  It's five years since I bought it, and it has just reached 150,000 miles.  I don't really need it anymore but don't like the idea of parting with it.  Both sills had to be welded for the MOT in January, but it just keeps running.

However, a problem has just occurred: the ABS light is now on permanently.  I had a vague feeling that one of the brakes might be sticking on, but I could be wrong.  Will be taking it to the garage tomorrow for them to plug into the OBD, but any ideas what the problem might be?

Cheers.

• Moderators

Probably a duff sensor on one , or more, wheels ..has it been coming on intermittently?.........obviously sticking brakes and things need sorting out but worth having a look at the wheel that you suspect and see if the sensor is still connected. It may be that the sensor rotor has corrosion or something stuck to it especially if the brake is corroded and giving trouble too...

The code read should identify it properly though but you could check each wheel sensor using a multimeter, checking the reading against the specification...

• Like 3

• Administrators

Hi Andrew, welcome back and sorry to hear of your ABS issue, Pete has basically covered what I would normally suggest and sticking brakes can trip the ABS into disabling, but that's rare, unless you deliberately hold the brakes while accelerating... 🤨

Hope it's something simple eitherway 👍

• Like 3

• Moderators

When you first start the car, does the ABS light come on and stay on for a few seconds then go out until you start driving? Or does it come on and stay on?

If it goes out and then comes back on when you start driving, what sort of speed and does it do it at the same point each time e.g. 8mph?

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thing is pete, i know from personal experience unless you specifically wath when the ABS light comes on it's easy to think it has remained on permanently from start up. As you rightly point out, it can indicate the difference between a dodgy sensor and possibly a pump problem or maybe just a simple fuse problem.

• Like 2

Thanks all for your advice.  Yes, the ABS light is now on permanently and doesn't go out after the engine's running.  My garage has diagnosed 'Nearside front wheel ABS sensor', so that's going to be replaced.

Nothing else to complain about - the car starts first time, every time, and just keeps going.  I might even spend a bit on the bodywork as I think I could probably make my money back when/if I sell it.  There are so few around now.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, BN Coupe said:

Yes, the ABS light is now on permanently and doesn't go out after the engine's running.

That's not normal behaviour for a sensor fault although it can happen under certain circumstances. Will be interesting to see if the fault is cured with a new N/S/F  sensor

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Laird_Scooby said:

That's not normal behaviour for a sensor fault although it can happen under certain circumstances.

Very likely open circuit and the light will stay illuminated until resistance is detected again...

10 hours ago, BN Coupe said:

My garage has diagnosed 'Nearside front wheel ABS sensor', so that's going to be replaced.

Great at least you know now, just hope they fit the correct sensor and a good brand, or you will be plagued with intermittent ABS warnings.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

Very likely open circuit and the light will stay illuminated until resistance is detected again...

More than likely although a short circuit will still give the same result. I did think of explaining the resistor trick to test it for sure but decided against it. ;):D

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello, hope this is related and on the right thread before it gets moved. Does anyone know where I could get an ABS wheel speed sensor for the rear right, for CG4. Trying to clear the ABS light on the dash, caused by the wheel speed sensor.  Been told to avoid the cheap ones online, but can hardly find any in the UK. Any response and suggestion would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

I've bought cheap online ones because my garage finds it so difficult and expensive to source them through their normal channels.  I can't remember how much they were quoted but it was more than £100 for a sensor.  It might be a false economy to fit cheap ones because they probably don't last long, but running a 25-year-old car means living from one MOT to the next, in my opinion.  If my car was mint, and I expected it to last for another 10 years or so (which it could!) I might think differently.

For what it's worth, my front offside ABS sensor had to be replaced for the MOT but afterwards the light on the dash wouldn't go out.  My mechanic replaced the nearside one too, and still the light didn't go out.  After leaving it for about a week, the light didn't come again.  Not sure what this means...

• Like 3

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, BN Coupe said:

My mechanic replaced the nearside one too, and still the light didn't go out.  After leaving it for about a week, the light didn't come again.  Not sure what this means...

Some Honda ABS ECUs need to see the sensor perform as it should for a few miles before clearing the fault automatically. Most aftermarket OBD-II readers won't clear the ECU, Hondas own reader apparently does (Stu could likely confirm) but most from the late 90s on seem to be self clearing after being driven.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave.  I'll tell my mechanic - in case another sensor needs replacing.  Maybe him moving the car around the workshop a few times was enough to clear the fault.  All's well at the moment.

After nine years of ownership I've just had to replace a brake light bulb.  I didn't realise the failure would show on the dash when the brake pedal's pressed.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 hours ago, BN Coupe said:

Maybe him moving the car around the workshop a few times was enough to clear the fault.

Probably not, it needs to get above the speed the ABS would normally begin operating, generally 20kmh or 12mph in real money.