Subscriptions & Donations ×

Engine Cap - Lost! - Part Number?

kapows

Hello All

Yup, i lost the darn engine filler cap on my 1999 honda accord manual coupe. Any ideas what i could use as a cheap replacement? i like the aluminium ones! but i dont know if they'll fit!

Dont want to spend too much...cant believe i lost it..i didnt screw it on props...drove off...

Thanks the lord the Hondas are such good cars wow.

• Sad 4

• Moderators

Did it spray much oil out  ?

I presume you didn't go far before you realised?

If so, then have you had a good check around the engine particularly on top of the lower engine bay covers?...big torch !! It may have stuck down there.

I think it is the same as a number of models, presumably you have the F series engine?

Parts scheme

15610-P2A-000 seems to be the one, genuine ones about 25 quid.

Dont forget you need the rubber seal too if not included in the package, certainly with a genuine honda cap probably will be extra.15613-PC6-000

Amayama do the genuine cap for about 12 quid including shipping, the seal about 8 quid including shipping...potential for import cost but still cheap compared with Cox for instance

Amazon do replacement caps, as do most of the motor factors, Europarts etc..

Wait for someone else to confirm numbers from their parts books though before rushing off and buying it !  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, kapows said:

Any ideas what i could use as a cheap replacement? i like the aluminium ones! but i dont know if they'll fit!

https://www.ratsport.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=22132047

1828oil_filler_cap_fitted_combined.jpg

Yes, they fit and are a worthwhile investment. The plastic ones have a tendency to disintegrate so losing it might be a blessing in disguise.

Just over a tenner for a replacement cap that adds a bit of bling and won't wear out seems a bargain to me! ;):D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
13 hours ago, kapows said:

Dont want to spend too much...cant believe i lost it..i didnt screw it on props...drove off..

The majority of Honda oil filler caps are interchangeable, anyway if you're after a cheap solution (not recommended) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Oil-Filler-Cap-Cover-Fit-Honda-Civic-CR-V-Element-Accord-Odyssey-Acura-UK/372976242758?

• Like 2

You guys are fantastic honestly :))))

The oil cap might have been lost for either 2 hours, or 2 weeks. I dont know which. But there is oil all under the bonnet and everywhere. But these Hondas just keep going i love em.

Thanks for the links and advice. Im gonna need to oil change i think seeing as though its all leaked out.

Gonna need to wash the engine bay but weary of the electrics.

Im going for the Aluminium one :D

• Like 2

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

For the extra few quid, i'd go for the aluminium one! ;):D

Great suggestion by Dave, but I prefer the genuine plastic ones as they don't get stuck or stupidly hot, so if you ever need to remove it when the engine is warm i.e oil change time. just be careful, still a nice bit of bling though. 😃

3 minutes ago, kapows said:

You guys are fantastic honestly :))))

We are always happy to help 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hughezee said:
11 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Great suggestion by Dave, but I prefer the genuine plastic ones as they don't get stuck or stupidly hot, so if you ever need to remove it when the engine is warm i.e oil change time. just be careful, still a nice bit of bling though. 😃

Yeah, i forgot to mention you need a cloth/rag to remove it when the engine is hot. Does get quite warm but doesn't drop lumps of plastic into the rocker cover like i saw one plastic OE cap do when it disintegrated! :blink:😮

IMG-20181115-144938980.jpg

Mine's been on for at least 8 years, no problems at all. ;):D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, kapows said:

I forgot about that haha im going to check right now! I was up in moors and i think its come off there THB but wait im gonna go out and have a look....gloved and masked up :)

Good suggestion by Pete, but knowing the 4 potters that area of the back of the engine where its likely to go is pretty open and free of snags, still worth a sniff though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Glad to help! I haven't tried it myself but apparently the Screwfix Degreaser is very good for cleaning engine bays when diluted 10:1

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-degreaser-5ltr/88668

In a 2 gallon/10L bucket, add 1L of it and then 9L of water, use a brush to work it onto and lift the oil/grease then hose off gently. Allegedly it's safe to wash away like this and having seen some results on a 40 year old engine (photos anyway) it seems to do well.

Should be easier to protect the electrics using a brush to work it in and a gentle hose to wash it away. Also good for cleaning drives and pathways of oil so it says in the blurb about it.

Double-check the mix ratio as i'm only going on what i was told by someone who recommended it to me after cleaning his (40 year old) engine bay with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

Not snake oil then ! 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Everyone!

Hope you're all well. Thought i'd give you an emergency fix - just incase..

So i had some urgent driving to do, Mobil 2000 10W40 in hand and staring at my engine bay thinking to myself what i can do to plug that hole...

Turns out the cap for the Mobil oil is a perfect fit! I filled the car up with the remaining oil and plugged it using the oil cap and.....it stayed on! Even after 2-3 hours of driving it never came off.

The post is slow so my aluminium cap is taking a while but its arrived today so will fit that on and keep the Mobil cap around too just incase haha

Thanks for the engine bay wash tips! will be giving that a go soon :)

• Like 3

UPDATE!

So...it turns out the Mobil oil cap didnt last too long. After two days of driving, today being the third, it has popped off.

ON THE PLUS SIDE - Yup....i found the old oil cap! it was sat next to the dipstick" I promise i looked through hell and high water for this and it did not turn up...now its just sitting there staring at me :D

ON THE NOT SO GOOD SIDE OF THINGS

The aluminium cap arrived and it does not fit at all. Considering i opened it, chucked away the packaging and tried screwing it on to no avail, i cant send it back. Will hold onto it but it just doesnt screw all the way in.

Oh and my engine looks different to Laird Scoobys pic above

• Like 1
  • Clap Hands 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, kapows said:

The aluminium cap arrived and it does not fit at all. Considering i opened it, chucked away the packaging and tried screwing it on to no avail, i cant send it back. Will hold onto it but it just doesnt screw all the way in.

Mine took a few times if tightening it as far as it would go, leaving it a few days then removing it, cleaning it then refitting it before it fitted properly. Because the threads on the plastic cap aren't as sharp on the edges, it tends to build up dirt in the threads so they need to be clean to get the cap in properly.

12 minutes ago, kapows said:

I'd be surprised it looked the same unless you own an early Legend! :P

Mines the C27 as per my signature. ;):D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Shame about the new cap I did wonder if it would fit TBH should have checked, least you've found the original one though fella 👍

7 minutes ago, kapows said:

Scooby AKA Dave has a C27 V6 engine, but if you want to sell the cap drop me PM, would look nice in my MK1 legend engine bay. 😃

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Laird_Scooby said:

I'd be surprised it looked the same unless you own an early Legend!

Just swapped all my caps around, J30, C27, F23 engines all fit each other perfectly, so it should fit in theory but that's eBay for you.🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1