Subscriptions & Donations ×

Over-Heating Help MK1 Legend Coupe 2.7 V6

Hi drove it today about 8 miles everything perfect just started seeing steam coming from the bonnet parked up and all the water was gushing out from the over flow reservoir the gauge went all the way up! Im not sure what antifreeze it was I had flushed it last month and have been driving regularly someone suggested that the radiator cap maybe wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Founding Member

Might be the flushing has made the problem worse.

If there was lots of debris in the system it might have moved it somewhere else causing a blocked pipe.

Iv always flushed and reverse flushed the other way to be sure on previous cars 

• Like 2

• Moderators

It should be ethylene glycol antifreeze in it, blue or green in colour. Someone has obviously changed it for the new roed OAT stuff. The acid in the OAT (Organic Acid Technology) causes the silicates in the EG antifreeze to precipitate out, causing a silicone gel that clogs all the coolant channels, including those in the throttle body, cylinder head, block, heater matrix and so on.

First sign is overheating then the head gaskets go. A friend of mine had it happen on a 94 Sterling that the previous owner of had put in for a new cam belt. The garage doing it not only mistimed one of the cams but didn't flush the system thoroughly causing the problem outlined above. He had to completely strip the engine and everywhere the coolant went and clean it all meticulously.

Skimmed the heads, rebuilt with all new gaskets and it's been fine since - on ethylene glycol antifreeze!

Hopefully i'm wrong and it's a leaky gasket somewhere - gaskets on pre-2000 cars weren't designed to cope with OAT antifereze and the acid attacks them causing leaks.

Check under the crankshaft pulley to see if you can see any coolant dripping - if so it's almost certainly the water pump so that'll be a new cam belt, water pump, THOROUGH flush and back-flush of the ENTIRE cooling system then refill with ethylene glycol antifreeze 50/50 with water.

The OAT stuff does have some good points, extended life for example but for our cars, the bad points outweigh the good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Founding Member

Everything Dave and Stu said and for what my pennies worth is worth Could it also be the thermostat sticking? 

Maybe checking your inlet and outlet hoses from the radiator to see if one stays cold whilst the other is hot could be a sign. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I hope its something sticking somewhere, ..or a simple airlock within the system after you changed the coolant.......

Hate to have to say this but it has all the symptoms of a head gasket failure on a Legend V6....

I know this how??? 

Been there, got all the tee shirts, and the broken knuckles on the wall to prove it....... 

I would go and get a sniff test done on the coolant just to be sure.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi just an update on the legend drained all the antifreeze out just put water in the radiator starts and drives fine I have been driving it all weekend have done around 40 miles everything seems fine phew 😅 have ordered a new thermostat via Ebay (first line) just waiting for that to arrive so I can fit it in and also put the correct antifreeze in as you guys suggested 🙏 

• Clap Hands 2

• Moderators

Could well be that, as suggested by the others, there has been a reaction between antifreeze types and perhaps caused a blockage...with you draining it and replacing it with water that has helped.

The other possibility that can cause overheating, bizarrely enough, is TOO MUCH percentage antifreeze against water!!  More is not necessarily good !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

That's good news so far! Before you drain and fit the new 'stat and antifreze, can i suggest adding a heavy duty cooling system flushing agent to the system?

Most say add to the system, run for 20-30 minutes, drain and back-flush.

I have a method that goes along the lines of :

Add cooling system flush

Set heater temperature control to maximum.

Warm engine up and then park the car overnight.

Next day, remove the thermostat but refit the 'stat housing complete with top hose.Run engine for a few minutes to circulate the liquid.

Remove the top hose from the radiator. Insert a garden hose into the top hose and turn the hose on - most Hozelock type connectors are a snug fit in the top hose.

This will back flush the entire system this way. Let the hose run at least half an hour but make sure the water is running clear before turning the hose off.

Remove the bottom hose from the radiator to allow most of the water now present in the system to drain out. Refit the bottom hose securely.

Fit your new 'stat with a new seal and refit the 'stat housing and top hose.

On the 827, the total capacity is a smidge under 10L for the cooling system so 50% concentration of the antifreeze is 5L (assuming you've bought the concentrated, if you haven't already got it, get concentrated) and i'm fairly sure the Legend 2.7 is the same. Add the 5L of concentrated antifreeze.

Now top up with water. to the correct level. Start the engine, checking for leaks (the heater control should still be set to hottest!) and let it warm up. Once it's reached the temperature (likely to be higher than on the previous 'stat but shouldn't get into the higher section of the temp gauge) switch off and allow to cool, preferably overnight. Check the level the next day and top up if needed with water - you already have enough antifreeze so it's just water that's needed.

So far, this method has worked successfully for me over many decades and many different cars so should work well for you as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1