Subscriptions & Donations ×

Strange whistle noise - engine speed related

PaulS

• Founding Member

Been out in the Coupe today and discovered that I now have an engine speed related whistle noise - not too loud but definitely there and from under the bonnet....  Possibly a pulley on the way out?  belt tensioner?  Alternator?  Water pump?

I have never changed anything around that area whilst I have had the car and it is now at 117k so something is likely to be on the way out.... but I could not spot what!

All ideas welcome -

Cheers 

Paul

• Sad 3

• Moderators

Presumably someone hasn't installed a supercharger whilst it was parked up !!!!!!  or you haven't got a mouse spinning around somewhere ???? I would go for a belt problem initially.

Possible the belt has started to degrade has the car been unused for a while ??

Usually waterpumps, alternators noises re bearings get progressively worse and I presume you haven't heard anything until now?

Not sucked a leaf or two into the air filter ????

• Like 1

• Founding Member

Just looked and found someone has indeed installed a supercharger. Then I looked again but couldn't see it anymore!  And with a feline cat around the car, any mouse would be well dead!

Didn't notice anything before, but the car was parked up for a month or so, since then my wife has been using the car and not reported anything like that whistle.  No leaf in air filter inlet either.  

Would the fan belt (looks a bit worn) or timing belt (looks good) itself cause a whistle on degrading?  Never heard that before

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Whining noises are very often interpreted as a whistling noise, especially on the driver's side of the engine,  could be any number of things TBH, but the most likely is the serpentine idler pulley or the A.C compressor on its way out?

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 hours ago, PaulS said:

Didn't notice anything before, but the car was parked up for a month or so, since then my wife has been using the car and not reported anything like that whistle.

I get a strange whine from the passenger side when I give it the boot.... usually accompanied with a very loud  "noooh" type sound......🙄Doesn't occur when driving alone though.....

• Haha 3

• Moderators

Is it definitely engine speed related Paul? I had a wheel bearing go once after a lay-up, couldn't hear anything until about 40mph then it started. Sounded like a supercharger at first then got progressively worse. Being in top most of the time gave the impression it was engine speed related.

You could try a stethoscope or long handled screwdriver to help pinpoint the source of your nose :

Gives you an idea what to do but i expect you know that trick already. Does help to find the exact source of the noise though.

Obviously don't put it on any moving parts but when you get near a whistling bearing, you'll hear the sound much louder, even through the casing of whatever the bearing is in.

If the whistle only happens while driving, it's possible your OH has been pussy-footing it around and has sooted up the exhaust - an Italian decoke will sort that out. ;):D

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Definitely engine - it is there on tickover with car stationery, but gets louder as I rev the engine on the throttle cable under the hood.  Sounds a bit like an unsurpressed alternator that comes through the radio, but its not that as teh radio is off!

I am a bit reluctant to give it wellie without really understanding what the problem is.  It might just blow something!  Trying to get a video of it but not easy living in a city with kids on holiday!

I am leaning towards the  belt tensioner pulley at present...

• Like 2

• Founding Member

I put a brass bar to power steering pump, and alternator and both have the same whistle noise with the power steering pump a bit louder.  The tensioner pulley doesn't need a noise - one can feel the vibration through the brass bar.

A new belt and tensioner pulley would seem a good start - but where can I get them in decent quality at a fair price...  ECP seems to have none, Cox's seems to have none, but there are a few in the USA.   So I have so far failed to find an accessories belt or tensioner pulley for the V6 coupe but found a belt at Cox's for the v6 Elysion - £50 though...

Genuine Honda Elysion 3.0 Petrol Serpentine / Power Steering Belt

Are they the same?

Any other suggestions for reasonable sources?

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

Are they the same?

No they are not the same Paul, I have a good spare if needed but it is a high mileage one... I replaced mine in Aug last year as a precaution but re-used my old one on another members coupe, more info on the topic linked below.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founding Member

Today I fitted the "new" tensioner pully and belt.  The belt was simple, but the pulley I have must be different from the one in the video I watched where they put a socket on the pulley bolt....  On my car there is simply no room to put on a socket, let alone attach a bar.  A 14mm spanner with pole undid the bolt, but even then then there was no room to take the bolt out - I had to undo the engine monting on that side and lever over the engine to get the bolt and pulley off.  But off it came and the replacement was fitted, then the belt.  Rattle gone, but whistle noise now much clearer and my brass  bar trumpet  on the alternator shows that to be the whistle culprit.... next job....maybe...

When undoing the top engine mounting, one bolt head was 14mm and tight, one was 15mm and only fingertight.  It seems someone before me had managed to strip this thread out of the housing attached to the engine.  The engine mounting itself has seen better days so I will replace it when I find one, and whilst that is out of the way, I will try helicoiling ( i have a helicoil kit) the duff thread. As a temporary measure I used a longer 10mm bolt with a big washer and nut in the striipped hole so that the engine is at least being held up by the 14mm bolt and my lash up which must be better than the 14mm bolt alone!

Can alternators be fixed - is it likely to be just the bearing?

Is there a part number for theengine mount next to the serpentine belt?

Does anyone happen to have any to sell me?

• Like 2

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, PaulS said:

Yes and yes. Do a search for autoelectrical services, alternator repair and similar things in your area Paul. Fair chance it is only the bearing but as the whole unit has to be stripped to renew it, they can check most of it as they go. Worth having the bearing at the other end done as well, if one is worn, the other won't be far behind.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2019 at 8:50 PM, PaulS said:

I put a brass bar to power steering pump, and alternator and both have the same whistle noise with the power steering pump a bit louder.  The tensioner pulley doesn't need a noise - one can feel the vibration through the brass bar.

A new belt and tensioner pulley would seem a good start - but where can I get them in decent quality at a fair price...  ECP seems to have none, Cox's seems to have none, but there are a few in the USA.   So I have so far failed to find an accessories belt or tensioner pulley for the V6 coupe but found a belt at Cox's for the v6 Elysion - £50 though...

Genuine Honda Elysion 3.0 Petrol Serpentine / Power Steering Belt

Are they the same?

Any other suggestions for reasonable sources?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401754457115

These are the pulleys I've bought and they fit perfectly. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/3/2019 at 8:32 PM, PaulS said:

Today I fitted the "new" tensioner pully and belt.  The belt was simple, but the pulley I have must be different from the one in the video I watched where they put a socket on the pulley bolt....  On my car there is simply no room to put on a socket, let alone attach a bar.  A 14mm spanner with pole undid the bolt, but even then then there was no room to take the bolt out - I had to undo the engine monting on that side and lever over the engine to get the bolt and pulley off.  But off it came and the replacement was fitted, then the belt.  Rattle gone, but whistle noise now much clearer and my brass  bar trumpet  on the alternator shows that to be the whistle culprit.... next job....maybe...

When undoing the top engine mounting, one bolt head was 14mm and tight, one was 15mm and only fingertight.  It seems someone before me had managed to strip this thread out of the housing attached to the engine.  The engine mounting itself has seen better days so I will replace it when I find one, and whilst that is out of the way, I will try helicoiling ( i have a helicoil kit) the duff thread. As a temporary measure I used a longer 10mm bolt with a big washer and nut in the striipped hole so that the engine is at least being held up by the 14mm bolt and my lash up which must be better than the 14mm bolt alone!

Is there a part number for theengine mount next to the serpentine belt?

Does anyone happen to have any to sell me?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202660271167

This is the engine mount. 

I've been quoted £200 for an engine mount by Cox, they've made me laugh. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, BoMar said:

These are the pulleys I've bought and they fit perfectly. 

Not the same as the Accord V6 coupe fella, thanks for the input though 👍

18 minutes ago, BoMar said:

This is the engine mount. 

Also not the same as the coupe, Paul is talking about the mount joint to the engine pictured below.

IMG-6324.jpg
IMG-6323.jpg

• Like 1

• Founding Member
1 hour ago, hughezee said:

I can confirm I have the parts Paul, just need to test the alternator and will get them shipped...

Thanks Stu.  If you can also supply the engine side mounting too, that would be great as mine has a stripped thread. - and if possible do you have one of the  original engine mounting bolts  - the ones that go vertically downwards as one that is in where the thread is stripped is way too wide.... (if not, I can probably get one though)

And thanks to BoMar for trying to help.  It is always worth checking vehicle compatability where possible and I always do so as if they are listed for my car and do not fit, I can send them back, but if I buy them on spec and they do not fit,they are mine!

• Like 3