Subscriptions & Donations ×

Accord Coupe Slack Wiper Mechanism?

Lumpy

My wiper mech overtravels on 2nd speed. Feels like play in the operating mech as the blades can be moved up and down a fair bit. Seen on yank sites the operating arm can be bought as the bushing isn't available. Anyone done the repair?

• Sad 3

• Administrators

Sounds as if one of the connecting rod joints is worn or the splines going on the shaft, replaced many on mechanisms on other models, never one on a coupe, but it was only a matter of time before it happened to one I suppose. So I have a couple of complete assemblies if your interested and it is a really straight forward job IMO, might even do a video on it this week if I have a spare few minutes...

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 7/1/2019 at 10:55 PM, Lumpy said:

Sunroof makes a rattly noise over bumps too.

Grease the seal with silicone grease, once a week for a month, twice a month for two months then once a month for a month then once every 6 months then once a year thereafter.

The seals dry out and any little movement of the panel causes a squeak that sounds like a rattle. It's meant to be a service item ocne ayear but often is "forgotten".

In my shed i have a selection of Mk1 Rover 800 wiper linkages all with good plastic bushes. I think they are the same, if it's any help i'll dig a few out and take some measurements for comparison.

An alternative would be rose-joints but obviously that needs a bit more engineering input. ;):D

• Like 2

Oddly enough I've done the seal twice now with silicone grease and wiped the excess. I'll do it again when i get home next week it's driving me nuts.

Ive3just left a job i cod make things so that's annoying

I'll also check that when i get home but no rose joints imminent on linkage. I would have remade the connecting rod vut now can't.  Rats. Cheers v much

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

So, looking through this thread. Its a full replacement job?

With this recent rain my wipers on normal just smack from A pillar to scuttle panel constantly. Fast setting isn't advisable for any length of time.

Also if the foot is down, there's a certain speed were the wipers just raise up the screen into view 🙄 slightly embarrassing and unnerving with guests on-board .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• The topic was pinned
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Andy Mc said:

Will wait for dryer times and investigate then for a plan 👍

Stopped raining now  🙂 j

Just a quick shower in an otherwise sunny but windy day.......you can have a look at it now 😆....don't forget the pics !!!

• Like 3