Subscriptions & Donations ×

Honda Accord Coupe How to Remove Rear Bumper?

PaulS

• Founding Member

Seems my rear number plate lamp mountings have rusted through as one is now hanging loose over the number plate. 

So I need to sort this out - but first I have to remove the rear platic bumper.  I see the plastic pop clips  but are there any hidden clips / bolts / screws - or indeed any list of things tpo remove and in what order?

Thanks for your help....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Founding Member

Thanks Stu.  Just spent 3 hours getting the rusty brackets off.  Screws were rusted solid and would not drill out either so I ground the heads off with a small carbide burr.  So I got the lamp holders out but had no idea what the brackets looked like!  Think I will make some out of a bit of UPVC strip I have so they will never rust again!

To save taking the whole rear bumper off, does the small panel around the number plate actually come out from the bumper?   If so it will make replacing the lamps quite simple.   I can find 2 clips which will allow the RH side to come loose but although the 2 LH side clips can be unhooked, something else which I cannot see stops it coming out.   

• Like 2

• Site Subscriber’s
19 hours ago, PaulS said:

Thanks Stu.  Just spent 3 hours getting the rusty brackets off.  Screws were rusted solid and would not drill out either so I ground the heads off with a small carbide burr.  So I got the lamp holders out but had no idea what the brackets looked like!  Think I will make some out of a bit of UPVC strip I have so they will never rust again!

To save taking the whole rear bumper off, does the small panel around the number plate actually come out from the bumper?   If so it will make replacing the lamps quite simple.   I can find 2 clips which will allow the RH side to come loose but although the 2 LH side clips can be unhooked, something else which I cannot see stops it coming out.   

Just read this old post, and it looks like I have no diffuser /light cover for my number light, although the bracket holding the bulbs is still there. Are these obtainable? Stu, can you let me know where you get your spares from in the USA? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Chrismas said:

looks like I have no diffuser /light cover for my number light, although the bracket holding the bulbs is still there

There's no cover where the lights are fitted apart from the bowl shape lenses covering them, they're all open on the coupe...

21 hours ago, PaulS said:

oes the small panel around the number plate actually come out from the bumper?

Yes, it does come off Paul its held on with a plastic frame & screws which only really accessible if you take the bumper off.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Founding Member

OK thanks.,

I have now sorted it.  Quite easy once one gets one's head around it.  2 pieces of 2" plastic trunking around 5 inches long, 8 alloy rivet nuts and 8 stainless steel allen bolts and a bit of silicone grease, all fixed from outside as the bracket space was accessible without removing the bumper!

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PaulS said:

OK thanks.,

I have now sorted it.  Quite easy once one gets one's head around it.  2 pieces of 2" plastic trunking around 5 inches long, 8 alloy rivet nuts and 8 stainless steel allen bolts and a bit of silicone grease, all fixed from outside as the bracket space was accessible without removing the bumper!

Great work and any pictures to add to the existing topic on this would be mucho appreciated Paul 👍

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Honda Accord Coupe How to Remove Rear Bumper?