Subscriptions & Donations ×

Elysion Weight Capacity

PTR200S

• Moderators

Today was a tough day for Elly, she had to transport just short of a half tonne of bagged (nominal weight 25kg a bag) sand.... and the sand was wet so it may have weighed more than that..... yes its dirty too!!!

No problem with power and no handling issues to report as such but it did look a little low in the water !

Loaded with sand , approx half a tonne.

loaded-1.jpg

loaded-2.jpg

Unloaded 

loaded-4.jpg

loaded-3.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any carrying capacity weight posted on the vehicle anywhere that I can see ...long shot I know but anyone seen any weight specs on any articles or website anywhere? 

Have checked a few websites but as usual a number of standard specification are quoted incorrectly so I don't trust them to give me the carrying capacity.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, hughezee said:

Finally got some info from Honda on this and they suggested the Eylsion has a max towing capacity 800kg...

Blimey, that's a bit piss poor for a TOWING capacity!!!!

Not even enough to tow a plastic TVR !!!!

I could go with that as a CARRYING capacity,  8 people weighing around maximum of 16 stones including their luggage.though.

The Odyssey will supposedly pull 1600kg but is plated whereas the Elysion does not have any weights stamped on the vin plate.... technically, as i understand it now, because of this it is not legal to tow at all !   That said there is a lot of Japanese stuff here in the UK, none of which is apparently legal to tow so much as a wheel barrow !!!

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Brett said:

Is it an Auto by any chance.

If so Honda towing capacity is very low as Auto boxes do get hotter than manual.

Its the same for mine and the 7th gen Accord.

Weasel auto vs weasel manual 600kg less for the auto although both petrol auto, manual is the same towing capacity, the Elysion is almost 2 tonnes so its mainly due to the number of people it can potentially carry, the majority of people carriers have lower towing capacities...

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hughezee said:

the majority of people carriers have lower towing capacities..

Something to do with maximum train weight perhaps? Or maybe they think if you need to tow something, the interior is already full of bodies and luggage so they don't want to over-stress/overheat the gearbox.

There used to be a school of thought that maximum trailer weight shouldn't be more than 75% of the Kerb weight of the tow vehicle although that seems to have fallen by the wayside these days........... :(

• Like 2

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Brett said:

Just a thought is that figure for braked trailer or unbraked as this is normally a low weight.

Maximum weight of an unbraked trailer is 750kg Brett but that's as defined by law, rather than any manufacturers on their towing limits.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Brett said:

Just a thought is that figure for braked trailer or unbraked as this is normally a low weight.

800kg braked

On 3/19/2019 at 11:36 PM, hughezee said:

Eylsion has a max towing capacity 800kg

500kg unbraked

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

I am no further on with this problem and I really needed to have a trailer this week so I will have to chase the towbar options.

Watling Towbars will supply and fit at their St Albans depot but it's too far for me to travel to and then wait to get it fitted.

Anyone used Watling or indeed know if they supply bars to other fitting agencies?

If they can supply I can fit it but apparently there is some chassis mods to do... I know not what though, as yet.

• Confused 1

• Moderators

Is driving down one night, staying in a Travelodge or similar, getting it fitted next day then either staying the next night before or just driving home not an option Pete?

Have to say though, i'd ask about the chassis mods before you book it in. It might be that when you find out what they are, you may not want it fitted after all!

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 hours ago, hughezee said:

I'm still in the market for a towbar on the odyssey and have given up for the time being.😑 Another thing to consider Pete is your motor looks lowered which might be an issue for some installers?

Watling do towbars for the Oddy  😄

Good point on the lowered aspect, its not that low but you are right, could be a problem...need to investigate the chassis mod possibility as Dave say though, too. 

• Like 2

• Founding Member

Dont know if it will help but P F Jones in Manchester does a very good range of towbars and seems to be able to get stuff not in stock....  Have a look at their website and if interested, give them a call....  At least Manchester is nearer to you than St albans......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Unfortunately they are another company with a database that doesn't include the Elysion or can even recognise the registration plate !!! 

Its pretty tricky getting any info for the Elysion although it is improving with some companies over the last few months.

I will give Jones a call anyway, thanks Paul.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Quick update, Can't get a bar locally, looks like the only one that makes them at the moment is Watling Towbars in St Albans.

Spoke to a very nice person at Watling, Jackie, very helpful indeed and after asking re chassis modifications she said that no major mods are required but would send the install specs and drawings for me to view.😃 

Within a couple of minutes I had said info (email is a marvellous new fangled thing!)and the only mods appear to be enlarging holes in the main chassis and drilling a couple of other holes plus a mod on the lower edge of the bumper.

She also sent two company recommendations for fitting in my area !!! Excellent service.!!

Just looking at the steelwork and mods its something than can be done at home, on ramps. I have fitted a lot of towbars over the years so hopefully this should be ok too and therefore I should be able to dispense with the fitting companies. However, if I get stuck then I know I can get help locally now, bonus !

Just got to check the dual exhaust fitment doesn't foul anything and hopefully have one complete kit headed this way 🙂 

Total cost of bar, ball/cover,electrics and shipping £231.

Expect a blow by blow fitment of the bar on the Elysion Workshop pages !

Elysion-Towbar.jpg

• Like 3